Musical Chinese Whisper

yoda-jag

Sorry Rid but . . Paul Rodgers didn't sing on that one, it was Robert Hart - Good song though all the same. And now The Trews all the way from Canada ( yes, I am a Canuckian idiot at times) with If You Wanna Star Again from their brilliant 2011 album Hope & Ruin.

Edited by The Sunnylaw Jag

The Fall and Merle Haggard actually work surprisingly well together. I think Mark E. Smith sees a bit of the working class tough guy in himself, as does Merle. The Fall actually covered Merle's "White Line Fever" in 2007. Which tees up this perfect 10'er...

"Working Class Hero" is a song from John Lennon's first post-Beatles solo album, 1970's John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. Regarded as one of John Lennon's most caustic and overtly political songs, "Working Class Hero" explores themes of alienation and social status from childhood to adulthood, and comments on elements that "distract you from your fate" : "Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV, And you think you're so clever and classless and free, But you're still ******* peasants as far as I can see." U.S. Representative Harley Orrin Staggers heard the song on WGTB and lodged a complaint with the FCC. The manager of WGTB faced a year in prison and a $10,000 fine, but defended his decision to play the song saying, "The People of Washington are sophisticated enough to accept the occasional four-letter word in context, and not become sexually aroused, offended, or upset." Other U.S. radio stations like WBCN banned the song for its use of the word "f*cking". In Australia, the album was released with the expletive removed from the song, with the lyrics censored on the inner sleeve.

"Working Class Hero" by John Lennon

Sorry Rid but . . Paul Rodgers didn't sing on that one, it was Robert Hart -

Damn and blast! Wrong again! :unsure:

I just assumed it was Rodgers, but this quote from Wikipedia maybe spares my blushes a wee bit -

"Hart was closer in voice and an imitator of Rodgers."

Now on with the motley......

B-Movie Box Car Blues - Jake, Elwood and the boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkYknmuFlHI

^ Choon. Checked out that Steve Earle too, great lip snarling attitude.

Well, a few minutes ago this was "The Box" by Orbital, posted up and all with a great video. Sunnylaw beat me to it so I've pulled it. Snooze you lose. So...

A track from his sole album "Chantilly Lace" on Mercury Records, first released in March, 1959. Known to his mother as Jiles Perry Richardson, The Big Bopper was a radio DJ who fancied himself making records rather than just playing them. In May 1957, he broke the record for continuous on-the-air broadcasting by eight minutes. From a remote set-up in the lobby of the Jefferson Theatre in downtown Beaumont, Richardson performed for a total of five days, two hours and eight minutes, playing 1,821 recordsand taking showers during five-minute newscasts.

Unfortunately, he died in 1959 in the same plane crash that claimed the lives of Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens, just as he was making his name as a rock 'n' roll hitmaker.

White Lightning was Boppers' ode to the auld home brew...

"I asked my pappy why call it brew,

White lightning, 'stead of mountain dew.

I took one sip and then I knew,

As my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue.

Mighty, mighty pleasin', my pappy's corn squeezin' it's called a

White Lightning"

"White Lightning" by The Big Bopper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMklxiE6xw

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

"White Rabbit" and "White Riot" were tempting... as was a resurrection of "The Box"... but the allure of this next folk masterpiece was just too strong...

From their debut LP in 1968, "The Johnstons".

The tune is related closely to the Scottish "I Once Loved A Lass" and countless other variants of the most familiar theme in folk music, the story of unrequited love.

This just slays me everytime...

"The Lambs On The Green Hills" by The Johnstons

children of the sea was the first track written in 1980, by the new BS lineup, post Ozzy.

here it is live, from the "Neon Knights: 30 Years Of Heaven And Hell" DVD

it's BS but not BS .....for touring 2006 onwards, they toured as Heaven & Hell to avoid confusion with the ozzy version of the time ..... here they are performing it at the Wacken Open Air festival on July 30, 2009.

this was Ronnie James Dio´s last professionally filmed concert appearance before his death in May 2010.

children of the sea ..... black sabbath/heaven & hell

http://youtu.be/qNJ0fMdeWEc

written 3 years before the smiths "suffer the children", this was first recorded and released in late 1981 (and was first song Smith and Olazabal wrote for their new band, tears for fears, after the breakup of their previous group Graduate), rerecorded for the 1983 debut album The Hurting and remixed as a single again in 1985 (after the second album Songs from the Big Chair had gone global and was selling by the bucketload, yet the reissued single only peaked at #52 in UK charts)

suffer the children ..... tears for fears

http://youtu.be/-qsgsGf_DSw