Singing V Celtic

silvershadow

Now that we all have had to accept the inevitable decision of the board that the Eastenders ( for their own safety) have to be given the North Stand, where would you suggest that those of us who wish to still create a non Irish nostagic theme at firhill should congregate to put forward our scottish thistle prosectus.

isn't an insistance on a scottish identity being cojoined onto a football club tradition remarkably similiar to fans who do it with british or irish identities??

The working men have no country - Karl Marx

Edited by mrD

Now that we all have had to accept the inevitable decision of the board that the Eastenders ( for their own safety) have to be given the North Stand, where would you suggest that those of us who wish to still create a non Irish nostagic theme at firhill should congregate to put forward our scottish thistle prosectus.

non irish? get out the dark ages and stop being so racist. maybe you'd be better goin to ibrox. we dont want bigots at our club Edited by The Mighty Quinn

• 2 months later...

From the Celtic forum Kerrydale: http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8859500/9/

Had to work today so I just finished watching the match now, wasn't great but given the conditions could we have expected anything else? I don't understand the general air of negativity on here the team dug out a result after a mid week CL match that we would have at best drawn last year. The good points as far as I saw them were Joe Ledley returning to fitness, we are crying out for a creative midfielder and he at least tries to imitate one when fit. We also saw that Izzy continues his return to form, looking very solid. We scored from a corner and Sammy is netting on average every second game in the league. Balde took his goal with aplomb and maybe next week is the right time to reward him with a start. Pukki is a worry but he at least got into positions to score but the only real negative is the lack of creativity in midfield. All in all a ggod day but on a sour note I watched the sky broadcast with my av amp turned on as I had the house to myself and the chanting from the so called thistle support was disgusting. I thought these were supposed to be Glasgow's morally superior answer to their bigotted neighbours. From what I heard I hope we pump them to an inch of their lives when they come to CP.

A Celtic supporting mate with a GSOH sent me the above. Is this some kind of twisted fantasy? Sounds kind of creepy to me.

it would kinda help if that poster actually stated what they found offensive. then we could assess whether what was alleged actually took place and if it did take place, whether it was worthy of condemnation. as such the post is a completely pointless one..

it would kinda help if that poster actually stated what they found offensive. then we could assess whether what was alleged actually took place and if it did take place, whether it was worthy of condemnation. as such the post is a completely pointless one..

Mr D, agree totally but the bit that got me was the use of the verb "pump"; definitely not the noun. My take on this might give my age away but back in my day this used to have certain sexual connotations; mostly relating to vigorous hard sex. Some on this forum may be better at explaining than me; but the good folk over at the Urban Dictionary (some who are no doubt Jags fans - even if they don't know it!) describe it as:

(v.) to forcefully penetrate, esp. used in reference to anal sex, whether hetero or homosexual

I read the offending post and this was the suggestion that shocked me :unsure: But maybe this wasn't what he meant and my sordid dirty mind was just working overtime. So apologies to all for any offence caused.

Mugabe is a racist mass murderer.

MW hits the nail firmly on the head. Bearing in mind that this country was once called the “bread basket of Africa” and was a relatively peaceful country prior to Mugabe taking power, his electoral abuses in the 1980s (the UN even acknowledged he rigged the ballot) should have seen him removed from power. However, as he has friends in high places – brought up as a Jesuit and still taking communion (religion rears its ugly head!) – could it be that his form of rule is preferred by the West to whatever form of secular rule might take his place? Do I smell the USA, UK and the Vatican at play? But maybe I’m just trying to fathom out why, other than asking him to stop (!), the UN has been powerless to act.

I'm all for the sharing of power and the removal of imperialist dominance in whatever form, but with Mugabe there is no democracy or freedom. The guy is a total c***!

Edited by Meister Jag
  • Like 1

Mr D, agree totally but the bit that got me was the use of the verb "pump"; definitely not the noun. My take on this might give my age away but back in my day this used to have certain sexual connotations; mostly relating to vigorous hard sex. Some on this forum may be better at explaining than me; but the good folk over at the Urban Dictionary (some who are no doubt Jags fans - even if they don't know it!) describe it as:

I read the offending post and this was the suggestion that shocked me :unsure: But maybe this wasn't what he meant and my sordid dirty mind was just working overtime. So apologies to all for any offence caused.

nah thats what my reading of the word pump in that context has always signified...

IMO what that post is particularly revealing is the inherent need to postulate an 'other' - by a lot of celtic fans - that is representative of all that is bad in contradistinction to the inherent good-ness of being a celtic football club fan. A strange manichean universe that is perpetuated in this discourse. That goodness obviously changes from person to person and whatever cultural theme is of particular import so goodness may be 'catholic', 'irish' 'palestine' 'left-wing' and so on. Having rangers two tiers below is problematic for the sustenance of that narrative, so the other has to be reconstituted and projected elsewhere. Hence the construction of un-specified but nevertheless problematic chants from the partick thistle fanbase. It would be interesting to see, if rangers were to go bust again and not return in another guise, what would happen to celtic fans invested in that world-view?

Edited by mrD

nah thats what my reading of the word pump in that context has always signified...

IMO what that post is particularly revealing is the inherent need to postulate an 'other' - by a lot of celtic fans - that is representative of all that is bad in contradistinction to the inherent good-ness of being a celtic football club fan. A strange manichean universe that is perpetuated in this discourse. That goodness obviously changes from person to person and whatever cultural theme is of particular import so goodness may be 'catholic', 'irish' 'palestine' 'left-wing' and so on. Having rangers two tiers below is problematic for the sustenance of that narrative, so the other has to be reconstituted and projected elsewhere. Hence the construction of un-specified but nevertheless problematic chants from the partick thistle fanbase. It would be interesting to see, if rangers were to go bust again and not return in another guise, what would happen to celtic fans invested in that world-view?

I think what you describe is a psychological state of enmity, the love of hating. The h*ns have all but disappeared and they’re struggling to cope. We all know that Celtic fans are the most politically correct fans in the world (whilst conveniently ignoring their sanctioning of sectarian violence and hatred of working class kids who join up and die serving their country). Find any number of worthwhile causes that aren’t British in name and they’ll back them. Apparently comes with the rebel gene and to get this you must support the hoops.

To a lot of Celtic fans you’re either one thing or the other and a lot of Thistle fans are just h*ns who never made it to Ibrox for initiation. The old “couldn’t afford the bus fare” one-liner that we’ve all heard in the boozer. What utter sh***!

The problem is and I’m sure that we’ve done this one to death on this forum, is that they are a symbolic enemy and one and the same beast; basically a mirror image with one needing to feed off the hatred of the other in order to survive. If you aren’t a Sevco fan, you apparently don’t have the right to challenge them.