Wikipedia Page

Stewarty

Hello all,

A couple of weeks ago I spent some time re-drafting and bolstering the club's wikipedia page (using the moniker 'Hyndland Jag'):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partick_Thistle_F.C.

If there's anything at should be added let me know, or alternatively have a shot editing it yourself. The main difficulty I found was finding sources for things that are commonly known to fans but haven't been documented anywhere. That and the fact they simplified some of my more ornate prose. Dullards!

Edited by Stewarty

• 2 weeks later...

Glasgow Cup 1988-89

According to this Wikipedia page there was no competition that season and in the “Performance by Club” section it is stated as fact that Thistle only have 6 trophies their honours list, with our last success coming in 1981. Well, I was there at the 1989 final and can confirm that it definitely occurred, and that Thistle won it for the 7th time on the 15th May 1989 at Firhill with a 2-0 victory over Clyde. We were even awarded the trophy on the pitch and there were 1,914 eye witnesses to prove it. If necessary, I will stand up in court to give evidence.

The article has ignored the final senior tournament of 1988-89 which panned out as follows:

1st Round

18.04.1989 Queen’s Park 0 Partick Thistle 1

byes: Rangers, Celtic, Clyde

Semi-Finals

Partick Thistle v Rangers, walk over

Clyde v Celtic, walk over

n.b. To paraphrase a good old 19th century term, both of the Old Firm “scratched”, whining that they could not fit the fixtures into their schedules. The ties were subsequently awarded to Thistle and Clyde respectively.

Final

15.05.1989 Partick Thistle 2 Clyde 0

Thistle therefore became the final winners of the 100 year old Cup in its original incarnation as a competition for Glasgow’s senior football sides. :ptfc:

Sources:

Glasgow Football Association

Partick Thistle History Archive

I will now undoubtedly be haunted by this day and night until the situation is resolved.

Flamin' nora, I've only went and changed it!

It was dead easy - didn't even need to create an account just carefully altered things in the "edit source" link.

All is well with the world again and Thistle have their 7th Glasgow Cup back. :)

^ like this yoda does :happy2:

:thinking:

hold on though ..... is that the sky falling, and the internet collapsing in on itself ? :crazy::confused1:

;)

• Like 1

I'm going completely power crazy now.

I've made the following changes to managerial timelines:

Donald Turner (started 1929 not 1927)

Peter Cormack (ended 1984 not 1983)

Benny Rooney (started 1984 not 1983)

This is brilliant.

Right, how many Premier League titles do youse want?

Muuuuwwwhaaaahaaa :evil:

Glasgow Cup 1988-89

According to this Wikipedia page there was no competition that season and in the “Performance by Club” section it is stated as fact that Thistle only have 6 trophies their honours list, with our last success coming in 1981. Well, I was there at the 1989 final and can confirm that it definitely occurred, and that Thistle won it for the 7th time on the 15th May 1989 at Firhill with a 2-0 victory over Clyde. We were even awarded the trophy on the pitch and there were 1,914 eye witnesses to prove it. If necessary, I will stand up in court to give evidence.

The article has ignored the final senior tournament of 1988-89 which panned out as follows:

1st Round

18.04.1989 Queen’s Park 0 Partick Thistle 1

byes: Rangers, Celtic, Clyde

Semi-Finals

Partick Thistle v Rangers, walk over

Clyde v Celtic, walk over

n.b. To paraphrase a good old 19th century term, both of the Old Firm “scratched”, whining that they could not fit the fixtures into their schedules. The ties were subsequently awarded to Thistle and Clyde respectively.

Final

15.05.1989 Partick Thistle 2 Clyde 0

Thistle therefore became the final winners of the 100 year old Cup in its original incarnation as a competition for Glasgow’s senior football sides. :ptfc:

Sources:

Glasgow Football Association

Partick Thistle History Archive

I will now undoubtedly be haunted by this day and night until the situation is resolved.

I can confirm this version of events. I believe the "quarter final" at Hampden was won by a Lex Grant bullet header and lit up by a particularly cheeky piece of Chico skill on the near touch line.

Note that we are now the final and permanent champions of the original Glasgow Cup, the Tennents Sixes and the Scottish Football League.

I'm going completely power crazy now.

. . . . .

Right, how many Premier League titles do youse want?

like :happy2:

we are now the final and permanent champions of the original Glasgow Cup, the Tennents Sixes and the Scottish Football League.

like :happy2:

PTFC ..... the greatest team the world has ever seen

I can confirm this version of events. I believe the "quarter final" at Hampden was won by a Lex Grant bullet header and lit up by a particularly cheeky piece of Chico skill on the near touch line.

Note that we are now the final and permanent champions of the original Glasgow Cup, the Tennents Sixes and the Scottish Football League.

Don't forget the Dental Cup!

I seem to remember Lex being so slow at returning from a bye-kick that when their goalie sclaffed it, Lex was all alone in their half, in acres of space, with only the keeper to beat. Or was that the previous year?

Capacity of Firhill

a) 13,079 (Main page, right hand side summary box.)

B) 11,400 (Main page, stadium paragraph: "The stadium currently consists of three stands: the Main Stand, which was built in 1927 and can seat around 2900 supporters; the Jackie Husband Stand, which was built in 1994 and has a capacity of approximately 6500; and the North Stand, which can house around 2000 supporters.")

c) 10,887 (Firhill Stadium page, right hand summary box.)

d) 10,915 (Football venues in Scotland page.)

Capacity of Firhill seems a bit of a multiple choice lottery. Who knows what it actually is?

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

^ Well, that's now 5 alternative capacities for Firhill. Maybe a club official could clarify?

Add A New Trophy For The Club Honours List?

The Stirling Charity Cup was one of the many local charity competitions which took place from the very earliest days of the national game. A quick scan of Thistle’s minor honours list on Wikipedia shows that we were winners of the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup (thrice), the Greenock Charity Cup and the Paisley Charity Cup. (incidentally we were also joint-winners of that challenge trophy in 1938 which I think should be added). According to the Scottish Football Historical Archive, The Stirling Charity Cup was regularly competed for in the late 19th century, as an invitational competition originally for senior clubs in Stirling and District, but fell from the calendar in 1898. It was revived in the 1920s when it became an annual invitational challenge match trophy between King’s Park (i.e. Stirling Albion I) and whosoever took their fancy. According to my results database, Thistle were invited to play on at least three occasions:

14.05.1924 Stirling Charity Cup Final: King's Park 1 Partick Thistle 1 *

18.08.1926 Stirling Charity Cup Final: King's Park 1 Partick Thistle 0

17.08.1927 Stirling Charity Cup Final: King's Park 1 Partick Thistle 0

* Thistle won on corners (4-0 according to s-f-h-a or 4-1 according to the Glasgow Herald)

The suggestion at the S-F-H-A would be that Thistle won this Cup, although there is a confusingly contradictory note at the top of the page to say that the Cup wasn't competed for in 1923-24! This is like the Wikipedia Glasgow Cup debacle again!

http://scottish-football-historical-archive.com/stirlingcharitycup

Glasgow Herald, 15 May 1924 has a couple of lines: "King's Park 1 goal 1 corner; Partick Thistle 1 goal 4 corners. At Stirling in aid of Stirling Royal Infirmary."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19240515&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

(page 16 of 17, 2nd column near the bottom of the page)

From when it was resurrected in the 1920’s, the Stirling Charity Cup was always just a one-off challenge match – there were around 20 occasions between 1923 and 1953. It would seem to be a fairly reasonable assumption therefore, that Thistle won this Cup in 1923-24.

So, either this low key Challenge Trophy has been missed in the annals of Thistle history or it has been deemed unworthy of inclusion. Unless there is a perfectly good explanation unbeknown to me?

• 2 months later...

For reasons unknown, went on Steve Lovell's wiki page and found the following.

" Barcelona

After leaving Bornemouth, Lovell postponed his retirement to sign for Barcelona where he played one hundred and seven games in one season, scoring 308 goals, before leaving on 32 March 2012 to have surgery on a niggling willy injury"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Lovell