Youth Team Reports........

Aldo81

Great result and very encouraging for future seasons.

Thanks for all your efforts, Bilko, in attending these matches and doing such detailed reports.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

It's been a pleasure seeing this group of boys football development at Thistle over the last couple of season's and they are all at a great place to continue developing the skills they have.

Hopefully it will be the same again next season. :)

Last game of the season for the 14's away to Airdrie today at Airdrie Leisure Centre with a 12 noon ko

Knowing Airdrie and after witnessing the last game between these two sides a few weeks back it will be a very competitive encounter.

Good luck to the U14's and to all the young Jags at other age groups who are also playing today

Edited by billko
  • Like 1

Airdrie 1 ThistleWeir 5 (U14's)

A well deserved and convincing win for Thistle's 14's away to Airdrie today in their last match of the season.

The first period was evenly contested between the two sides and not much goalmouth action apart from some long range efforts that both keepers easily dealt with

As the period went on Thistle were getting the upper hand and after a well taken shot was saved well by the Airdrie keeper it fell nicely to the Thistle striker who slotted it home to put the young Jags a goal up.

The pace picked up a bit in the second period as Airdrie tried to get back into it but Thistle were always dangerous with the trialist CF causing Airdrie's defence lots of problems.

Some last ditch tackles and good goalkeeping from the Airdrie no1 was keeping their side in it.

Airdrie themselves were also having their moments in the game and went close a few times but it was Thistle who were to get the next goal, and it was a great strike from outside the box from Thistle's no3 that gave the young Airdrie keeper no chance.

The game started getting a little competitive in the midfield area with a few tackles going in from both sets of players and the ref had to have eyes in the back of his head to see everything that was going on.

This was no end of season kick about and was being played in a highly competitive manner.

On the 52minute the young Jags broke through the Airdrie defence again and when the ball was cut back Thistle's right midfielder fired the ball home to put Thistle 3-0 up.

Airdrie managed to get a goal back a few minutes later after winning a free kick 25 yards out and it was a fantastic strike from this free kick that got Airdrie back in the match

The last period started with Thistle on the front foot and the Airdrie keeper was called into action often in this first 15 minute period to deny Thistle's strikers of more goals.

The young keeper was excellent on one v one situations and was keeping his team in the game.

In the last period Thistle's strikers who had went close on numerous occassions were to get their goals and both again were one v one's with the goalkeeper but this time it was the strikers who came out on top in their duels with the keeper.

Thistle were now 5-1 up but were still looking to get more right up until the ref blew his whistle which must have been a relief for Airdie's defence and young keeper who had a fine game.

That's the campaign over for this season and it's been very enjoyable watching this young Thistle team all over the country representing the club well both in their ability on the way they play football and in how they have conducted themselves on and off the pitch.

Football development and progress has been great to see with this team now in their second year, and although it's not about the scores in these matches, this group of boys want to win and win playing good football which they have done for most of the season.

Only 4 defeats in 32 games played is a fantastic effort from all the boys who have played this season for Thistle Weir's 14's

Well done to all the boys, coaches :thumbsup2: and the parents/ family members who have supported all the boys well this season :fan:

Hopefully next season we all get to do it all over again. :)

Edited by billko
  • Like 2

"Only 4 defeats in 32 games played is a fantastic effort from all the boys who have played this season for Thistle Weir's 14's"

....if only they could show the first team how it's done ! ;-)

Smashing finish for the youngsters - well done to them all.

Also good to be able to show them a wee bit of appreciation when they walked round Firhill yesterday.

All the best for next season.

Thanks for your reporting over the season, Billko. It's good to know that the young players are developing well. There will always be attrition as teams and players move up the age groups. Hope your boy is kept on the Jags system.

Cheers David and fingers crossed he gets to keep his football development going at Thistle.

"Only 4 defeats in 32 games played is a fantastic effort from all the boys who have played this season for Thistle Weir's 14's"

....if only they could show the first team how it's done ! ;-)

Smashing finish for the youngsters - well done to them all.

Also good to be able to show them a wee bit of appreciation when they walked round Firhill yesterday.

All the best for next season.

Cheers Rid

The first team have done well and the goal for all the boys in the system is to get to do what they are doing.

All the boys enjoyed walking around the pitch but with the 14's being at that age, they probably felt embarrassed by it all. :D

Great reception from all the fans yesterday. :worship:

Best bit was the U12's getting to take shots and penalty kicks at the goal in front of the NS who were all brilliant in cheering on the boys.

These lads were playing a match so missed the walk round the pitch with the other age groups, but when they got to Firhill they were allowed to play on the pitch which was great.

All of them were high fiving Gallacher as he did his warm up at HT which was brilliant.to see.

Edited by billko
  • Like 1

Bilko, just like to reiterate what the others have said and thank you for these excellent reports throughout the season. Always a pleasure to read them.

Having lived here in Amsterdam and had an Ajax season card for about 9 years, I have seen the benefits of having a really good Youth System in place especially one where the whole club from the littlest ones through to the first team all play a similar style. From your posts this is what the club is striving for and it can only benefit the club in the long term.

God luck to your lad and hope you get good news next month

Thanks for your reporting over the season, Billko. It's good to know that the young players are developing well. There will always be attrition as teams and players move up the age groups. Hope your boy is kept on the Jags system.

Agreed. We have had our differences on other subjects but your youth team reports have been awesome. Thanks again and hope to hear from you next season

Thanks again Bilko. Please let us know how your lad gets on, even if it's via pm. :thumbsup2:

Cheers Will

I get drip fed information from my son and he just told me that the coach told them after today's game that everyone is being kept on for next term.

We as parents will hear officially at Firhill on Thursday what is happening when the boys get their reports from the coaches.

• Like 1

Bilko, just like to reiterate what the others have said and thank you for these excellent reports throughout the season. Always a pleasure to read them.

Having lived here in Amsterdam and had an Ajax season card for about 9 years, I have seen the benefits of having a really good Youth System in place especially one where the whole club from the littlest ones through to the first team all play a similar style. From your posts this is what the club is striving for and it can only benefit the club in the long term.

God luck to your lad and hope you get good news next month

Thanks amsterdam jag and the Ajax way is certainly the way things should be done in how they develop all their youth players.

Agreed. We have had our differences on other subjects but your youth team reports have been awesome. Thanks again and hope to hear from you next season

Cheers Lindau

It's been a great year for the club with the first team doing well and the academy getting the investment from the Weir's which puts the youth set up in a great place for years to come.

Hopefully we can do it all again next season.

Cheers Will

I get drip fed information from my son and he just told me that the coach told them after today's game that everyone is being kept on for next term.

We as parents will hear officially at Firhill on Thursday what is happening when the boys get their reports from the coaches.

just hope bilko your son does'nt experience the NEPOTISM that goes on when he gets to the later stages of his so called football development,with the club.

just hope bilko your son does'nt experience the NEPOTISM that goes on when he gets to the later stages of his so called football development,with the club.

Nepotism is rife throughout youth football but don't know how much it goes on at the later years of Pro Youth level or at Thistle for that matter, but you obviously have experienced this in some way.

Development has been good for my son at Thistle so far and you can only take as much positives out of it as you can while it lasts.

As they get older it gets very difficult and lots of boys are released from clubs but it doesn't mean the end of their careers if they want it bad enough.

Don't make silly unfounded accusations that are totally untrue. Just guessing but if u are a parent of a lad that has maybe been released then its not because someone within the club has family member or friend of family that will take his place mate. The thing that makes football best sport in the world is that everyone has different opinions on games,teams,results and players. Just because coaches at Thistle don't think your lad is what they are looking for dosent mean he's not good enough mate.

Edited by Aldo81

David Stevenson, on 11 May 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

just want to echo david and lindaus words here jaggyko while i remember.

and see that suggestion of mine last friday that you will be buying a st for firhill this week? ..... ignore me.

just want to echo david and lindaus words here jaggyko while i remember.

and see that suggestion of mine last friday that you will be buying a st for firhill this week? ..... ignore me.

Cheers Yoda

I was going to ask you if you still think i should buy an ST with what has been going on with the NS?

Season ticket boycotts everywhere i turn these days and think i will stick to just watching the young Jags . :D:fan:

Edited by billko

Kinda like being given the freedom of the city where you're allowed to drive a herd of deaf llamas up and down Belmont St on a Thursday I think billko should be given the freedom of Firhill. With that in mind no boycott of season tickets or withholding of ST money should apply.to this finest of ex-h*ns. billko, please go ahead and purchase a Jags season ticket :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Kinda like being given the freedom of the city where you're allowed to drive a herd of deaf llamas up and down Belmont St on a Thursday I think billko should be given the freedom of Firhill. With that in mind no boycott of season tickets or withholding of ST money should apply.to this finest of ex-h*ns. billko, please go ahead and purchase a Jags season ticket :thumbsup2:

It was the NS or nothing really as a waste to learn all the songs and not sing them :D