The Weekly Jagscast Debate - 30Th September

jagscast

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be Thistle's league top ASSIST maker?

• John Baird
    • Stuart Bannigan
    • James Craigen
    • Kris Doolan
    • Christie Elliott
    • Gary Fraser
    • Ross Forbes
    • Kallum Higginbotham
    • Steven Lawless
    • Isaac Osbourne
    • Sean Welsh
    • Other (please specify)

Slightly different from last week's question in that it's not a simple yes and no question we ask this week:

Who will be Thistle's highest assist maker in the league this season? Assist's for penalties will be the player who is fouled for the penalty to be awarded

Current Standings:

Stuart Bannigan - 2

Conrad Balatoni - 1

John Baird - 1

James Craigen - 1

Kris Doolan - 1

Stevie Lawless - 1

Aaron Taylor Sinclair - 1

I've gone for Higgy. He's the closest thing we've got to Erskine, our main playmaker of the past couple of seasons. If anything, he is on paper a better player than Erskine. He certainly can be an all round footballer, genuinely two footed and much more physical.

He and Doolan really impressed me on Saturday. Think we have the makings of a superb partnership there.

I reckon he'll make more than he'll score.

P.S. I think it's quite telling that despite the number of crosses Taylor Sinclair and SOD put in, we've only had one assist from the wing backs. For all their athleticism and drive, their final ball is so disappointing!

However, if they had that final ball then they wouldn't be playing for us!

They do bring more to the team in terms of an outlet for Foxy, Doolan and Forbes.

P.S. I think it's quite telling that despite the number of crosses Taylor Sinclair and SOD put in, we've only had one assist from the wing backs. For all their athleticism and drive, their final ball is so disappointing!

However, if they had that final ball then they wouldn't be playing for us!

They do bring more to the team in terms of an outlet for Foxy, Doolan and Forbes.

Harsh! Name one of our forward players who are good headers of the ball? Both SOD and Sinclair can both be a little erratic but both are young.

If you look at the St Mirren game – SOD was heavily involved in both goals. He also put in the chip to Sinclair who headed down for the Lawless chance and put in a cross Doolan just missed at the back post after a great solo run from SOD.

Thought SOD had a decent first half on Sat – then got pinned back defending second. Made a few errors second half but think he’s complaining the sun is in his eyes. Him and Elliott were partly at fault for the goal, they should have closed MacLean down quicker but these are the things hopefully they will learn from.

I'll go for Doolan as top assister tho' Higginbotham will I'm sure be a major contributor.

Not expecting our full backs to put in pinpoint crosses. Just into a target area more often, so more likely to assist the assister if that makes any sense..

Btw it's worth minding that ATS & SOD are full backs not wingbacks. Sure they play like wingbacks but they're first and foremost defenders. I'd be more critical of their crossing if O'Donnell and Taylor-Sinclair were playing in front of three centrebacks and didn't more often as not have to run near the full length of the pitch. Seen a good few very decent full backs in my day and not many I'd class as great crossers. I'm sure they will with experience up their percentage of quality crosses. Might not be with us sadly.

• Like 2

Btw it's worth minding that ATS & SOD are full backs not wingbacks. Sure they play like wingbacks but they're first and foremost defenders. I'd be more critical of their crossing if O'Donnell and Taylor-Sinclair were playing in front of three centrebacks and didn't more often as not have to run near the full length of the pitch. Seen a good few very decent full backs in my day and not many I'd class as great crossers. I'm sure they will with experience up their percentage of quality crosses. Might not be with us sadly.

I think this is an excellent point and I often think that the influence ATS and SOD have on the way we play is under appreciated by many Jags fans. Strangely not by fans of other teams who only ever talk about our full backs. These guys can look like wing backs but only because they are willing to cover so much ground, but they are part of a back four. I find it frustrating how quick some are to criticise, and refer to Jordan McMillan coming in as soon as he's fit. He's proved nothing as a Thistle player so far. I even saw someone at the weekend virtually writing SOD off at this level. What a joke.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

I think this is an excellent point and I often think that the influence ATS and SOD have on the way we play is under appreciated by many Jags fans. Strangely not by fans of other teams who only ever talk about our full backs. These guys can look like wing backs but only because they are willing to cover so much ground, but they are part of a back four. I find it frustrating how quick some are to criticise, and refer to Jordan McMillan coming in as soon as he's fit. He's proved nothing as a Thistle player so far. I even saw someone at the weekend virtually writing SOD off at this level. What a joke.

Wholeheartedly agree, whilst I too am apt to moan about their final ball, when considering their age etc. they add a dimension to our team that nearly all the others lack. FFS, enjoy these lads while you can. stupid carping and moaning will get us nowhere. To all the naysayers remember it was only a few years ago that we had DC in charge, be thankful for what we've got, how far we've come and for goodness sake enjoy the football, I know I and many others are.

Edited by stillresigned

• 5 months later...