Nelson Mandela Dies At Age 95

Garscube Road End

A brave, selfless and noble man who broke the supremacists through sheer will and determination.

"I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons will live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for, and to see realised. But my Lord, if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

~ Nelson Mandela, defence statement during the Rivonia Trial, 1964. Repeated during the closing of his speech delivered in Cape Town on the day he was released from prison 27 years later, on 11 February 1990.

This fabulous piece is performed by Izingane Zoma, a politically inpsired Maskanda (Zulu folk) group from Johannesburg. In this song they celebrate Obama's presidency and they link it with their own struggles of the past... "South Africa says Mandela...Mandela...Africa is saying Mandela...Mandela...halalaa (welcome) with black brothers....Americans says Obama...Obama, The whole world is saying Obama...Obama...Martin Luther King, Martin Luther King's dream has came true at last..."

They will not mourn the death in the townships tonight. They will celebrate the life!

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, I salute you.

• Like 2

I think, Mandela was without doubt the greatest statesman and politician of my lifetime. I am old enough to remember picketing the South African Embassy. Whilst its nice to hear all the tributes, I'm afraid I don't forget Thatcher's government portrayed Mandela and the ANC as a whole as terrorists and dupes of Moscow: so don't be fooled by crocodile tears coming from the likes of Cameron.Alittle football related angle, I was down there at the then Royal Exchange Square and lo and behold who should appear but a bunch of football supporters appeared and started shouting abuse- it was so bad that the copper on duty had to radio for back up and told us to stand behind him(nb the picket was me a dog and three girls). From memory it was a Wednesday night in September, so it could have been a League cup night, I distinctly remember we were playing Celtic that night, so it probably was the League Cup..I bet you can't guess the club these racist bigot's supported can you I'll give you a clue it wasn't Sellick, Clyde, Thistle or even Queens Park, oh aye and they've gone bust..

Go to your rest Comrade you deserve it for your inspiration and love.

I think, Mandela was without doubt the greatest statesman and politician of my lifetime. I am old enough to remember picketing the South African Embassy. Whilst its nice to hear all the tributes, I'm afraid I don't forget Thatcher's government portrayed Mandela and the ANC as a whole as terrorists and dupes of Moscow: so don't be fooled by crocodile tears coming from the likes of Cameron.Alittle football related angle, I was down there at the then Royal Exchange Square and lo and behold who should appear but a bunch of football supporters appeared and started shouting abuse- it was so bad that the copper on duty had to radio for back up and told us to stand behind him(nb the picket was me a dog and three girls). From memory it was a Wednesday night in September, so it could have been a League cup night, I distinctly remember we were playing Celtic that night, so it probably was the League Cup..I bet you can't guess the club these racist bigot's supported can you I'll give you a clue it wasn't Sellick, Clyde, Thistle or even Queens Park, oh aye and they've gone bust..

Go to your rest Comrade you deserve it for your inspiration and love.

Obviously Clydebank!!! Bassas!!

9th of October 1993: my favourite day!

George Square in the morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rebnh2c26k

Firhill in the afternoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bgcux78tF8

The Doublet for after-match then Club Mandela at the Community Central Halls.....

Happy days......

Jeez, lost a goal from a corner in that match as well!

• 1 month later...

god i hate mandela. he's a rascist thug who should never have been let out of jail. he was the head of the terrorist wing of the anc and ordered the bombings and executions of 1000s of civilians. He also ordered land grabs off white farmers. P.M. Botha went to see him in jail and he was offered amnesty if he told his terrorists to stop bombing shoppin centres, churches, restaurants etc and he refused. He also left the country in anarchy. Since the end of apartheid, rape is up, the police are corrupt, the infrastructure is shot to pieces and corrupt as hell. 10,000 black people were polled by the s.a. press and 73% said they look back to apartheid with nostalgia as they were better off under it, and at least there was order and they country worked better. People have been left a lot worse off with his backward policies. If anyone ruined south africa it was him. journos are notoriously left wing, and as mandela was a member of the communist party, they put a lot of dangerous spin and nonsense about him without telling you the full story. Take it from someone who lived there for 15yr

• Like 1

god i hate mandela. he's a rascist thug who should never have been let out of jail. he was the head of the terrorist wing of the anc and ordered the bombings and executions of 1000s of civilians. He also ordered land grabs off white farmers. P.M. Botha went to see him in jail and he was offered amnesty if he told his terrorists to stop bombing shoppin centres, churches, restaurants etc and he refused. He also left the country in anarchy. Since the end of apartheid, rape is up, the police are corrupt, the infrastructure is shot to pieces and corrupt as hell. 10,000 black people were polled by the s.a. press and 73% said they look back to apartheid with nostalgia as they were better off under it, and at least there was order and they country worked better. People have been left a lot worse off with his backward policies. If anyone ruined south africa it was him. journos are notoriously left wing, and as mandela was a member of the communist party, they put a lot of dangerous spin and nonsense about him without telling you the full story. Take it from someone who lived there for 15yr

Arse!

Bingo. You're not my type either, I prefer interesting, intelligent conversation.

well i put up some very valid comments about mandela, then people respond with infantile insults or start hittin on me. what am i meant to do? Don't believe all the nonsense the govt tell you about mandela, it's all lies, making a scumbag sound like a saint. left wingers and their perogatives

Sometimes on this forum you see a post of the utmost stupidity.

It's best not to reply to those posts, imo.

something is stupid if you dont agree with it? that's the height of arrogance, as if your opinion is the be all and end all. What was stupid about what i said? i just told you the inside truth from someone who was there. The real truth before all the left wing indocrination and spin by left wing, evil crackpots Edited by The Mighty Quinn

something is stupid if you dont agree with it? that's the height of arrogance, as if your opinion is the be all and end all. What was stupid about what i said? i just told you the inside truth from someone who was there. The real truth before all the left wing indocrination and spin by left wing, evil crackpots

Who said I was commenting about you?