Baird

GrantB

i'd give it a go. i've done better with worse in football manager. anyway, lady, how hard can it be to change a system. the only way he will learn is with a bit of tinkeriing

woah, hold the front page of the evening times !!

archie, your teas oot, your jacket and that shoogily peg have fallen to the floor. scram, you're binned.

beattie, get on the blower now to TMQ, give him a 5 year rolling contract, he'll do the job on a lower budget with worse players and have us challenging for europe before seasons end. #quidsinkerching!!

maxi, prepare a press release for immediate circulation. we have a tactical genius in TMQ, lets grab him before barca snap him up. what do you mean we have no stationary in stock to send faxes? nip down to waitrose and buy a few reams sometime this month then.

"robert mugabes rednyella army"

:fan: :fan: :fan: :fan:

woah, hold the front page of the evening times !!

archie, your teas oot, your jacket and that shoogily peg have fallen to the floor. scram, you're binned.

beattie, get on the blower now to TMQ, give him a 5 year rolling contract, he'll do the job on a lower budget with worse players and have us challenging for europe before seasons end. #quidsinkerching!!

maxi, prepare a press release for immediate circulation. we have a tactical genius in TMQ, lets grab him before barca snap him up. what do you mean we have no stationary in stock to send faxes? nip down to waitrose and buy a few reams sometime this month then.

"robert mugabes rednyella army"

:fan: :fan: :fan: :fan:

champions league in 2 yrs. euro champions in 5. u have my word Edited by The Mighty Quinn

The only four Baird goals on Youtube (the forum won't allow me to post four links to Youtube, so I've had to wangle it below), presumably these are the best he's scored:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ka6iYQrnIc and

and
and

This confirms what I thought, he's not a good finisher. One of these is a header in the six yard box. Three are decent strikes, but in two of them he gets a break of the ball and I would say none of them are solid finishes (i.e. true strikes along the ground (think Boyd finishes)). The goal against Hibs was weak, to the wrong post, and the keeper should have stopped. The other two he gets a break of the ball after a poor touch, and are curling efforts rather than true strikes.

His battling qualities and his ability to find space on the shoulder of the defenders are his best atributes. He'll never score more than ten goals a season in the top flight. I don't think he's what we need, he doesn't get enough goals to play lone striker, and he's not as good a finisher/playmaker as Lawless so shouldn't play in the hole.

The problem we have is that Baird, Elliott, Higginbotham, and Craigen are not goal scorers. That's why I would choose Lawless every week over these guys, we need to score goals to stay up.

Those are all good finishes. Even the header in the 6 yard box, he has to get there in order to finish it off. Maybe the keeper should have done better in the Hibs goal, but he still keeps in along the ground and makes it difficult to save. And just because he gets a lucky break does not mean that he is not a good finisher, that's a ludicrous argument to make.

For what its worth, I don't think Baird has been good enough this season, but I also don't think he's a bad player. It simply hasn't worked out for him so far at this level, and Thistle might not be the right club for him. I don't know. I certainly hope he manages to make an impact at some point, and from looking at those goals there is definitely a decent player in there, but for whatever reason, it hasn't shone through for us. If he leaves then so be, if he stays then he simply needs to get the head down, and work hard in training and try to do something when he does get a game, which unfortunately outwith winning the penalty against Hearts, he hasn't really been able to do. I won't hold it against him if he isn't cut for this level, as long as he puts the effort in, he'll be ok in my books.

• Like 1