Baird

GrantB

It's not a lie.

It's my opinion.

It's your right to disagree with it, but it does not make it a lie.

It was a horrible miss for any striker to make - is that more accurate in your view?

it was but so arguably have been the chances many of our others players have missed throughout the season.

Doolan v Hibs and Lawless v Fake Thistle are the obvious ones that springs to my mind, however it's quite possible I have missed other glaring misses through them not being televised in my part of the world.

Higgy & Lawless at Rugby Pk, Higgy v ICT, the two you mention and Baird away to St Mirren are the ones that spring to my mind.

Higgy & Lawless at Rugby Pk, Higgy v ICT, the two you mention and Baird away to St Mirren are the ones that spring to my mind.

Was at the Fake Thistle game on Boxing day, and thought that KH's miss was unlucky, due to the presence of the goalkeeper, rather than a bad miss.

Never saw the highlights afterwards, so maybe others have a more considered view.

Sorry but I can't agree. Watching Baird actually makes me angry.

He throws a strop when he loses the ball, he doesn't even try and track back to help out the defence and he dives too much.

Higgy has missed a good chance but he works like fook and has set up a few goals.

Sorry but I can't agree. Watching Baird actually makes me angry.

He throws a strop when he loses the ball, he doesn't even try and track back to help out the defence and he dives too much.

Higgy has missed a good chance but he works like fook and has set up a few goals.

disagree not surprisingly as I have seen Baird run about all over the park including running back to defence. Certainly never comes across as lazy to me in his few games for us or when he played against us.

I know u weren't happy with his one minute 50 second appearance against st johnstone but no one shone that day.

As for the not setting up goals he set up a sitter for higgy a couple of weeks ago against killie and has done so in a few other games such as hearts a few months ago

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

disagree not surprisingly as I have seen Baird run about all over the park including running back to defence. Certainly never comes across as lazy to me in his few games for us or when he played against us.

I know u weren't happy with his one minute 50 second appearance against st johnstone but no one shone that day.

As for the not setting up goals he set up a sitter for higgy a couple of weeks ago against killie and has done so in a few other games such as hearts a few months ago

Anytime I've seen Baird he runs all over the place, someone even commented on another thread that this was what they disliked about him.

I also thought he scored a few in the SPL when Brown too over as manager? Something again on another thread someone commented that the playing style changed a bit and this suited Baird. I may be wrong tho but feel he's just not had enough game time for Thistle to really judge (as a fan). This can only be down to Archie watching him in training and learning what he can do (plus the limited game time), he might just not feel that Baird's not been the answer to what's happened in our games so far.

I for one hope he gets a decent run of game time and I hope he can produce the goals and link up play that we signed him for, if he gets that I would be happy to voice my opinion as to whether he is a good or a poor signing.

• Like 1

Do you know what's funny many fans were on here desperate for Baird to sign a year or so back but after 2 starts and hardly any game time since they all think he is shite! He has has scored more goals than anyone in the team

using this, and basing each game having 3 minutes of stoppage time, i calculate baird has had 320 minutes on pitch when coming on as a sub (13 times).

so that's an average of 25 minutes a game when he has come on, and he has made no difference to any of these games when he has come on (the only one where a real difference happened was when he was subbed after 60 minutes v st mirren, and we scored 2 goals after that to win 2-1).

apart from missing a few games, i have seen majority of bairds appearances in the rednyella (and in the 4 he started (2 cup, 2 league), one went to extra time, and he has had over 350 minutes match time that way too), can be summed up as this .....

in addition .....

although this "good chance" relates to a specific game, it can be rephrased as

Higgy and others have missed some good chances but they work like fook and have set up a few goals.

something that can't be said for baird imo (apart from imitating a headless chicken at times).

if archie rated baird, he would have started baird more in place of doolan. the fact he hasn't (and the four starting appearances were all within first 6 weeks of season start), and yet as soon as taylor is signed, dools is rested and taylor is straight in, also points to fact that archie clearly doesn't rate baird that much now (and clearly way behind dools (who remember came from the juniors)) or bairds workrate and contribution to the team when he has come on, enough to merit a start in past 5 months, or (it's beginning to look) even a longterm future with the jags. remember archie and shaggy and rest of coaching staff see baird and rest of players daily. i've never said he's shite, just not good enough for the top league or us. archie clearly hoped he could be good enough (as in score some goals, set some goals up, create chances for others), relative to our budget, like all managers, you get some right, you get some wrong.

Edited by yoda-jag

Do you know what's funny many fans were on here desperate for Baird to sign a year or so back but after 2 starts and hardly any game time since they all think he is shite! He has has scored more goals than anyone in the team

Good post m8,1st division player of the year only a couple of years ago and not been given much of a chance,I think he will play a big part in our staying up this year.!!!

so that's an average of 25 minutes a game when he has come on, and he has made no difference to any of these games when he has come on (the only one where a real difference happened was when he was subbed after 60 minutes v st mirren, and we scored 2 goals after that to win 2-1).

Didn't he win the penalty for us against Hearts or is that not a difference to the game?

Didn't he win the penalty for us against Hearts or is that not a difference to the game?

ok, forgot that, give you that one.

so that's one assist of sorts.

5 months ago.

eta: don't mean my posts to appear as if i am a "baird hater" as i'm not, i just don't think he is top league quality (whether he could have been in earlier years of his career is another debate) or good enough for us, even given our budget.

as others have said, his level is probably more 1st (championship) division (mid table team) or playing for a top 3 2nd (spfl 1, yuk what crap names) division team, where he could still be a 10 to 15 goals a season player. possibly.

Edited by yoda-jag

ok, forgot that, give you that one.

so that's one assist of sorts.

5 months ago.

the sitter he set up for higgy against killie?

With your point earlier about the number of minutes on the park surely we could use that for most players such as;

Between the Celtic game at firhill and the Celtic away game the following were all starters and would have played some near 900 minutes of football

Craigen all I remember is plenty of misplaced chances

Banning in that period one infamous duck and a red card

Higgy plenty of good footwork but no end product

Fox more often than not picking the ball out of the bet

Kerr at least started once in that period maybe more and can't remember anything of note

Balatoni a red card and being partly responsible for a number of goals

I dare say I could go on and on with different players

• Like 1

From what I remember John Baird was getting the last 5 10 mins when the game had already gone.

Anyway it's all a matter of opinions up the jags

The lad Messi only got a few minutes tonight & got a couple. Surely Baird should be as good as him?

I do feel for the guy as he does try, just hasn't worked out. Best he moves soon with our best wishes. End of the day, he's just trying to do a job to pay the bills like anyone else. To wish ill is plain wrong.

• Like 2

From what I remember John Baird was getting the last 5 10 mins when the game had already gone.

Anyway it's all a matter of opinions up the jags

your first point - no, check the stats.

your second - complete agreement, its all about opinions, but we are all jags supporters at end of day, and respect one anothers opinions we must.

even the misguided :happy2:

The lad Messi only got a few minutes tonight & got a couple. Surely Baird should be as good as him?

I do feel for the guy as he does try, just hasn't worked out. Best he moves soon with our best wishes. End of the day, he's just trying to do a job to pay the bills like anyone else. To wish ill is plain wrong.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Edited by yoda-jag
  • Like 1

Part of the issue is that the system just doesn't suit him. He's not able to operate as a loan striker. He may retain some value as a sub to bring on for the last 15 minutes when we're a couple of goals up and looking to close the game out, mainly due to his willingness to chase tired defenders around the pitch. But overall I agree that it hasn't worked out and is unlikely to now given the arrival of Taylor. He's been better than Mukendi though...

• Members

Craigen all I remember is plenty of misplaced chances

Banning in that period one infamous duck and a red card

Higgy plenty of good footwork but no end product

Fox more often than not picking the ball out of the bet

Kerr at least started once in that period maybe more and can't remember anything of note

Balatoni a red card and being partly responsible for a number of goals

None of them are Centre Forwards though TL. He's not even getting into position to miss sitters. His miss against St Mirren is possibly the only real goalscoring opportunity he's had and that's not good enough for a forward.