Well Done Aberdeen

stillresigned

Keith Jackson initially tweeted what a great atmosphere, prior to being informed by many that the choice of songs (including the billy boys, and the cry was no surrender) that we're adding to his great atmosphere and clear to hear on the telly we're banned and sectarian in their content and meaning

And I bet you not one single person was arrested or thrown out the ground despite the majority of the fans of the new club singing away to them all. What is the bloody point of banning these disgusting tunes if they don't act once they are started.

I'm not being sarcastic at all to any of these clubs but having a go at the ridiculous decision to play a game at Celtic Park that holds 60,000 when both teams might be better off playing at Easter Road or a similar sized venue.

You were being sarcastic. You were not commenting about the decision to play the final at Parkhead. Please don't insult my intelligence.

You were being sarcastic. You were not commenting about the decision to play the final at Parkhead. Please don't insult my intelligence.

I would never insult your intelligence crazy davie

As i said previously lets hope they do fill it and it's a good spectacle but they did pick the final with Celtic already in mind as being finalists.

It's a big stadium to fill but closing the top tier might reduce to the 40,000 - 45,000 mark which would be more realistic.

Did i say well done St Johnstone? if not then well done St Johnstone :)

And I bet you not one single person was arrested or thrown out the ground despite the majority of the fans of the new club singing away to them all. What is the bloody point of banning these disgusting tunes if they don't act once they are started.

Security is a joke, some even got to leave with a blue seat as a souvenir.

What about those pesky smoke bombs from the United fans?

People might have choked

Arrest them all and play games behind closed doors although i do agree that some songs shouldn't be heard at football games.

Edited by billko

Security is a joke, some even got to leave with a bue seat as a souvenir.

What about those pesky smoke bombs from the United fans?

People might have choked

Arrest them all and play games behind closed doors although i do agree that some songs shouldn't be heard at football games.

I am just waiting for the day that someone get smashed in the face with a flare or smoke bomb and is maimed for life, then just maybe the authorities will take action against these clowns that take these devices into grounds

• Like 1

I'm maybe going to upset a few folk here on this subject, but here goes....

As a thistle/ scottish football fan going to games for over 38yrs now, the 1st couple of seasons was with my grandad (god rest his soul), but as I got to my teenage years I started going with a few mates from school, this was in the early eighties. As a teenager the biggest buzz of the season was getting one of the old firm in the cups or when we were lucky and in the same league 4 times a yr at home. I will hold my hands up and admit to calling the Celtic fans every name under the sun and also when Rangers came they got the usual as well. Now the way it was then, was if they could sing all their shit at us then we could give it back, and yes we did to both of them. Well due to work commitments I have travelled all over Britian for a few yrs at a time, but my love of football always attracted myself to the local team where I was staying, just to catch a game or 2. Well it was the same at these grounds when the old firm came calling total abuse was sung and shouted for 90 min towards each other. Wow what a great atmosphere was had, in all my days of going to football I have NEVER walked out of a game and said I was offended by the singing/chanting that was sung.

People in this country have went totally over board with all the offended shit and "politically correct" madness. We have people asking why songs are being sung about things that happened hundreds of yrs ago, but why hasn't our own scottish national anthem been brought up in these discussions cos that's the same, about events hundreds of years ago, or is It ok to be anti English, and before anyone says anything, the British national anthem is also the same and should also fall into the same category as all the rebel /orange songs being banned, but they will not do it.

One last thing that I cannot get my head around is this, if anyone can answer. How can they introduce a so called law, that bans one person from singing 1 word/line and get arrested cos it's illegal , but another person can sing that word/line and nothing happens cos it's legal? 2 examples...

1. The Billy Boys is banned due to 1 word...Fe...n. Lots of other British teams sing their own version with another word in place of the F word. So it's banned for 1 word, but celtic fans can legally sing Paddy M cCourts Fe...n army.

2. Old firm fans get criminal records for singing FTP or FTQ, but it's ok for other fans to sing songs with the same words, towards the old firm.

Bring back the atmosphere and scrap the fecking stupid law/legislation. All these new age fans are easily offended, fecking grow a pair offended by some singing, pmsl.

Ok but you're at a football ground not a political or religious rally so WTF has all that got to do with football? Can you truly say that Old Firm alliances don't perpetuate bigotry in Scotland and give it a breeding ground. I understand what you mean about atmosphere and yes it can make games against the Old Firm exciting and that'd be great if we sang these songs for 90 minutes, left the ground and never thought about them 'til the following Saturday but sadly a lot of people don't and see it as an extension of the bile and hatred that they portray every day of the week. It's not a majority of fans and indeed a lot of the people with those attitudes don't even attend the games. I am not easily offended, as I work with some of the most damaged young people in Glasgow, so a thick skin is important but it also allows me to see the ingrained attitudes of bigoted young people and how in August to May there's a focus to it with the old firm and then marching season over the summer comes into it's own.

As to Flower of Scotland, is it anti-English? It is about a battle that occurred 700 years ago but does it suggest anything other than repelling an invading force? Does it say anything about English people other than just the king? Does it suggest we should be up to our knees in their blood? It is a dirge of a song and is a bit backward looking, but anti-English . . no. It is anti-United Kingdom I would vouch but again it doesn't denigrate anyone else's rights and only wants independence for Scotland not death to all Englishmen.

Fully respect JaggyMad's post and opinions but see things from a different viewpoint. I'm certainly not the least bit upset by them.

I feel tho' where a lot of folk holding similar views make a mistake is in attacking "political correctness", "duty of care" and "heath & safety" as if they are evils themselves. In reality it's too much PC or taking duty of care and H & S to ridiculous levels is what antagonises people the most.

The sectarian legislation has been brought in due largely to consensus opinion after years of self policing or "getting our own house in order" failed miserably. It's probably so flawed, so full of anomalies it needs scrapping but that doesn't change consensus opinion one iota.

Btw... Not wanting to bring politics into a football website but if the YES vote is successful the national anthem needs changing immediately. Singing a song about battling with another sovereign nation would imo be wrong. If the status quo remains then I wouldn't care one way or other

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

As to Flower of Scotland, is it anti-English? It is about a battle that occurred 700 years ago but does it suggest anything other than repelling an invading force? Does it say anything about English people other than just the king? Does it suggest we should be up to our knees in their blood? It is a dirge of a song and is a bit backward looking, but anti-English . . no. It is anti-United Kingdom I would vouch but again it doesn't denigrate anyone else's rights and only wants independence for Scotland not death to all Englishmen.

Actually "Flower of Scotland" has these words: "These days are past now and in the past they must remain"

And though it continues with "we can still rise now and be the nation again that fought ...etc". it obviously means we should be

proud and independent, like the nation that fought for its freedom back then. Only an invading king and his army are mentioned, not a specific people that we should hate. In fact no mention of hate.

Personally I think it's a bit of a dirge and we could have a much better anthem but that's my musical taste not criticism of the meaning of the song.

Finally although some politicians push what's called "PC" ideas to extremes for their own agendas, some of these idea include anti-racism and anti other blights on society. As a result I always wonder about folk who are the reverse and start flinging "PC" accusations around as an alternative to having a real argument.

Firhill - and lots of other non-OF grounds (though not excluding the OF) used to resound to some nasty songs about people and individual players (though at Firhill sometimes the nastiest stuff is reserved for our own players) and a lot of that no longer happens as society has changed. Also the powers that be would no doubt punish clubs where that happened regularly. However it can happen regularly at an OF ground and it is completely ignored, even when live on telly.