Scottish Cup Semi-Finals

stillresigned

On the heels of the premature announcement by the SFA of the venues for the semi-finals and final of this years competition which anyone wipossesing even a scyntila of statistical ability would have realised gave Celtic and Sevco the benefit of home advantage either in the semi- or in the final itself, we have the truly bizarre announcement that Rangers will recieve the vast majority of the ticket allocation for their game against United.

Now , I don't blame Rangers for taking up the allocation, but surely to God someone in the SFA at the very least is culpable of gross inadequacy if they think this is a fair way to run a national cup competition. After, all why boother to have neutral venues or indeed any semblance of fair play at all if eventually things are going to be loaded in favour of the gruesome twosome and in particular the club from Govan.

I have to admit I used to believe that the Tims were just being paranoid. Now its as clear as day that the authorities in this country bend over backwards to help Sevco.

In just this season how many penaties have they had? There was the supposed "goal" they were awarded at Ibrox against Albion Rovers and now they get most of the tickets for a home game that is theoretically being played at a neutral venue.

I wish there was a rational explanation that I could point to here apart from structural favouritism to the team in blue and white. Instead, this is ignored and ridiculed in the media. The only saving grace is that Sevco are so awful that hopefully United will hump them regardless of where the games played or how the tickets are allocated. The only fly in the oitment is the infanous "Mike McCurry game" where a truly blatantly biased display by the referee led to even Craig Levein quering the wisdom of pther teams bothering to try against Rangers.

If such a situation where ever to arise South of the Border, I could see absolutely no situation in which say Wolves were playing Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final the game would be played at Anfield and Liverpool recieve 2/3 of the tickets.

I wait with avid interest the views and reasoning of those with a proclivity towards the boys from Govan. :head_ball:

But Dundee Utd could have complained about this months ago......While they were in the 3rd round......With no idea who would be in the semi.

Perhaps Dundee United thought, quite reasonably but naively, that the SFA would switch such a tie to a neutral venue if Rangers got through.

Thomson DID complain about this at the time it was announced. I remember reading his quotes in the paper.

Well that makes the silly counter-claims even worse. I didn't know that. Although we all know Thomson would complain about going to Ibrox any day of the week. One thing we can at least agree on.

It seems the 'new' league organisation have the same agenda as their predecessors.

Was it ever explained by anyone at the SFA just why they felt they had to announce the venues when they did?

The choice of final venue at that time was also ridiculous given that Celtic would have been the choice of most people if asked to name a team they thought most likely to be one of the finalists.

Obviously it didn't work out that way but the SFA got lucky with that one.

Edited by H Wragg
  • Like 1

The final should have been played at Murrayfield.

I don't buy all this stuff about the money staying in football. The money is going to Rangers and Celtic, hardly noble causes who need the money.

Well, one needs the money (desperately), but I get your point re their nobilty.

Was it ever explained by anyone at the SFA just why they felt they had to announce the venues when they did?

The choice of final venue at that time was also ridiculous given that Celtic would have been the choice of most people if asked to name a team they thought most likely to be one of the finalists.

Obviously it didn't work out that way but the SFA got lucky with that one.

True but I'm pretty sure that the SFA wanted an Old Firm final at Porkheid. Rangers would get the a share of the final cash plus the two semis. All that was needed was to keep the Ugly Sisters apart in the semis. FIFA's Jack Warner would have been the ideal man for the draw.

True but I'm pretty sure that the SFA wanted an Old Firm final at Porkheid. Rangers would get the a share of the final cash plus the two semis. All that was needed was to keep the Ugly Sisters apart in the semis. FIFA's Jack Warner would have been the ideal man for the draw.

If today's Warner allegations are true, he should be going to the jail.

The final should have been played at Murrayfield.

I don't buy all this stuff about the money staying in football. The money is going to Rangers and Celtic, hardly noble causes who need the money.

Yep. I made the same point on here when the SFA's decision was first announced. Murrayfield's pitch is not good at the moment but it could have been relaid or patched up for the final. Does anyone know how much the OF are getting in hosting fees?

On the heels of the premature announcement by the SFA of the venues for the semi-finals and final of this years competition which anyone wipossesing even a scyntila of statistical ability would have realised gave Celtic and Sevco the benefit of home advantage either in the semi- or in the final itself, we have the truly bizarre announcement that Rangers will recieve the vast majority of the ticket allocation for their game against United.

Now , I don't blame Rangers for taking up the allocation, but surely to God someone in the SFA at the very least is culpable of gross inadequacy if they think this is a fair way to run a national cup competition. After, all why boother to have neutral venues or indeed any semblance of fair play at all if eventually things are going to be loaded in favour of the gruesome twosome and in particular the club from Govan.

I have to admit I used to believe that the Tims were just being paranoid. Now its as clear as day that the authorities in this country bend over backwards to help Sevco.

In just this season how many penaties have they had? There was the supposed "goal" they were awarded at Ibrox against Albion Rovers and now they get most of the tickets for a home game that is theoretically being played at a neutral venue.

I wish there was a rational explanation that I could point to here apart from structural favouritism to the team in blue and white. Instead, this is ignored and ridiculed in the media. The only saving grace is that Sevco are so awful that hopefully United will hump them regardless of where the games played or how the tickets are allocated. The only fly in the oitment is the infanous "Mike McCurry game" where a truly blatantly biased display by the referee led to even Craig Levein quering the wisdom of pther teams bothering to try against Rangers.

If such a situation where ever to arise South of the Border, I could see absolutely no situation in which say Wolves were playing Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final the game would be played at Anfield and Liverpool recieve 2/3 of the tickets.

I wait with avid interest the views and reasoning of those with a proclivity towards the boys from Govan. :head_ball:

Just wait till they are back in the top league, then you will really realise the favouritism shown to them. It is absolutely outrageous that a national cup semi or final is played at the home ground of one of the participants

Edited by Lindau

Nobody complained at the time. The decision should have been made when the semi finalists were known, but canny go all this conspiracy theories. It was announced in October and when it was announce, I Don't think many people would have thought Rangers would be in the semi, but now they are, we have all the favouritism crap. Also been announced from the SFA that utd had already turned down extra tickets. So wits Thompson and Jackie Mac bumping there gums about.

• Like 1

Nobody complained at the time. The decision should have been made when the semi finalists were known, but canny go all this conspiracy theories. It was announced in October and when it was announce, I Don't think many people would have thought Rangers would be in the semi, but now they are, we have all the favouritism crap. Also been announced from the SFA that utd had already turned down extra tickets. So wits Thompson and Jackie Mac bumping there gums about.

as much as i hate the rangers i have to agree with you on this one

They could play this in the Atacama desert and DUFC would still win

Haven't you heard the mandate that NuGers will be getting three penalties to start the game with?

I can't remember exactly, but did we not play Rangers at Ibrox in the semi-final of the Cup in about 2002/3. It may have been the quarter final, and maybe before "neutral" grounds were used.

T'was Hampden Park we played them under Lambie ... don't you recall the twelve million buck magnificence of Flo?