Happy Metz Day Peeps!

Davie Thistle

The whole thing was just like a Tartan Army expedition with Thistle starring as Scotland.

A finely tuned 72-hour inebriation, with a perfect balance of alcohol and low-quality carbohydrates.

I always have a good chuckle as some of the antics come back to me. I recall a certain daftie from Coupar Angus who liberated a bonsai tree from a French service station, declaring with a purposeful intent that he would love and cherish the thing for the years to come. It certainly made it to the game and back to Glasgow anyway, and last I heard was still going strong several years later in the kingdom!

I also remember there were a few tops trades after the game and I decided to try and find a suitable Metz compadre. Eventually I find a boy, but he doesn’t want to part with the top he’s wearing. He says: “you come with me, I find you top”. I’m like, jeezo, right ok, then. He then proceeds to take me on what seems like a walk the entire length and breadth of the municipality of Metz before we finally arrive at his place, by which time I’m very nearly sober. I then suss out what he was getting at – cheeky get offers me up a top from a few seasons back, clearly he didn’t want to give up this years model. Ach, anyway, it was maroon, it was a Metz top. “That’ll dae” I thought!

As usual, my memory lets me down as to the game itself. For years, I reminisced about Deek McWilliams sitter when he only had to tap it into the empty net to put us in the lead with 10 minutes to go. Being able to read about it in hindsight, it turns out we were already 1 down when his 6-yard tap-in hit the post. :lol:

Anyway, next time we get the chance it’s not to be missed – I expect we’ll have a loud and proud 4 figure turnout for our next continental adventure.

Mon the Wraggs!

:ptfc:

• Like 1

Trying to add a few photos of the square but won't let me copy paste etc

Hotel Le Globe in glorious RednYella as was the square. Please PLEASE Archie get us into Europe somehow!!!

Upload one here: http://postimg.org

Then click "Copy" beside the "Direct link" tab.

Then when you want to embed it in a post here, simply click on the wee square in the tool bar that is below the smiley face, and paste into that. Up it comes!

050481_premier_division_partick_thistle_v_celtic.jpg

Great stuff. First time I had seen the goal from that angle. We were probably lucky to get away with a 0-1 defeat against a higher class team, Pires and all, but McWilliams should have equalised when he hit the post. Some outstanding work by the defence, and Nicky Walker in particular, kept the score down. Huge turn-out of Thistle fans, who kept up a constant vocal support before, during, and after the match, their presence much appreciated by the home fans.

I remember the incident with the bonsai plant. A tall guy with spiky fair hair, he had a young lad with him on the bus, a nephew I think, whom he bullied for most of the way, until some of the fans got fed up and held him down to let the boy give him a kicking! It may have been at the same service station where one lad, possibly on his first time away from Maryhill, produced a Royal Bank of Scotland £1 note to pay for his meal, to the bafflement of the cashier. Also remember the expression on the face of one traveller when he gave up trying to catch up on his sleep at 6am on the cross channel ferry in the face of a chorus of Thistle songs; the intense heat, even with an evening kick-off; the French police appearing after midnight at the bar hosting the post-match party in the station square, and being persuaded by the staff to go away and leave us in peace.

It would be great to see another generation get the chance to support the team abroad. But we were lucky to be drawn against Metz, a town closer to Calais than Glasgow is to Dover. Don't fancy Armenia.

• Like 1