Under 21S

SussexJag

Not sure I wholly agree. I think there's a lot to be said for playing 'form' players in these games (especially against the likes of Malta) - half the squad are currently sitting on the bench for their clubs, so why not give these guys a chance? There is always a bias towards the OF & England, regardless of if they are playing or not - something that has never changed in my 36 years & I doubt it will change now.

In a position where Scotland have players like Snodgrass, Burke, Ritchie, Anya, Naismith and guys like Matt Philips and Shaun Maloney not even making the squad, there'd have been justified uproar if Strachan had picked a 29 year old Erskine, regardless of how he's been playing for us. If he was 18 then maybe, but picking form players has a limit.

u21 s humped 0-4 last night and Ricky Sbragia resigned. While it's not all RS fault ive always tough him to be a very poor coach for us.

. Scott Gemmil seem to be stepping up to the job. Very worrying how poor we have became at this level . Might be best to bring in a foreign coach at that level to bring new ideas

That's quite embarrassing. Although, I don't really see the point of under 21 internationals anymore. If you're good/big enough at 16/17 you'll play for the first team. Why even bother with anything past under 19's now.

Because there's still a lot you can learn at 19-21? Even when a bit older? Other teams, much more successful than us think it's worthwhile so it's not the age level, it's how it's being run in this country.

The manager of the big team is appointed openly but as far as I can see at the other levels it often seems to be jobs for the boys. The only time we appointed someone who was a bit of an outsider the Scottish based coaches all fell out with him and he quit. The SFA talks a good fairish game but never backs it up. I also think that some of the young players that get picked are there more because of the teams they play for rather than them being really the most promising around, The occasional stand-out gets picked regardless though sometimes even then not right away.

I wonder too if the attitude of some young players is a problem: too many think because they are signed by a big club or get youth caps they have made it. I note our own management/youth coaches think young players attitude is important and that there are different kinds of things to be learned at different ages right up to under 20s and even beyond. I wonder if too mamy young players don't develop fully because of this.

Edited by Mr Bunny

That's quite embarrassing. Although, I don't really see the point of under 21 internationals anymore. If you're good/big enough at 16/17 you'll play for the first team. Why even bother with anything past under 19's now.

Not unrelated but it appears to me at Jags level the real make or break time for a player is often between the ages of 19 and 21. I also think that if a player in that age bracket gets injured for any length of time the chance s of him making it are greatly reduced. In recent years MacBeth and Duggan, who were both stand outs playing in our youth team, spring to mind but I'm sure there's more. I guess what I'm trying to say is the 19-21 year period is most crucial to a player's development. Why that is I've no idea, I don't know either if it's peculiar to Scotland/Uk but rather suspect it is.