Attendances

Jaggernaut

Three of the Championship matches on Saturday had a bigger crowd than at Firhill.

Over 6,000 for Falkirk vs. Dunfermline!

That crowd is hardly surprising as it's always been seen as a sort of Derby/grudge match. Our attendance was maybe slightly higher than I thought it would be but still lamentable.

One thing we do miss out on is a regular sort of derby match. The Pars even have two such games. I know there was the Killie rivalry but that appears dead in the water. I don't detect any heightened atmosphere when they visit Firhill. Recently the only club we've had a sort of derby feel with that's also reflected on the gate is Morton. You could add St Mirren but I don't believe there's much of a rivalry factor.

Anyway I should be careful with what I wish for as as it certainly doesn't look like Morton, St Mirren, Airdrie or Clyde will be forcing their way into the top league soon. Most of the other other clubs in our league have at least one and often two home derby games that must boost their coffers.

After Ross County next week, our two home games in November are against Aberdeen and Rangers. Those should help but they are both at changed times so who knows. With two thirds of our home games in December being against clubs who have to travel on a Wednesday evening from Dundee and on Xmas eve from Kilmarnock with a town full of old firm fans, I can see by the end of the year our average attendance figures are going to be well down,