Manager Of The Year

thistle4celtic1

(sorry if the formatting is messed up)

Back in late July last year, I charted the projected outcome of the SPL based on the handicap odds posted on oddsmaker.

I used the previous 6 years SPL end of season tables to project the total number of wins/losses and draws for the season. Each teams own W-D-L totals were fabricated to reach their total projected points for the year.

You could get 10/1, after adding their handicap points, on any team to win the league. As you can see they fancied Thistle to finish in 10th with 42 points from their 38 games.

Handicap.jpg

If you add each team's points to date (after 31 games) to their pre-season points handicap, the table right now for the purposes of cashing your bet looks like this:

1 Celtic 90 109.76%

2 Partick Thistle 83 102.50%

3 Aberdeen 80 96.97%

4 St Johnstone 79 94.23%

5 Kilmarnock 78 89.47%

6 Hamilton Academical 77 85.29%

7 Ross County 69 71.11%

8 Heart of Midlothian 66 73.33%

9 Dundee 66 65.22%

10 Inverness 65 59.52%

11 Motherwell 63 60.42%

12 Rangers 62 73.33%

(The %'s show each team's current point total as a percentage of their projected points for the season)

Too bad Celtic have the almost perfect season going, otherwise Alan Archibald would get manager of the year.

Interesting analysis. Why are so many teams below the prediction, is it the number of draws or is it that the model didn't account for the fact that they play each other, using previous points totals only?

My guess is that it's just because the season isn't finished