Thistle In The Media

Premjag

I'm a Thistle-supporting journalist in Edinburgh (though not a sports one) and have been thinking a bit about the coverage Thistle get in the media.

Match reports aside, there's very little, even in the Evening Times and Herald, which thousands of Jags fans must buy.

The daily coverage across the board seems to be quotes lifted from the official site, or a player saying nothing very interesting at all.

I wonder what other Thistle fans make of this, and the reasons for it. Perhaps the local Glasgow press is scared to get on the wrong side of the club for fear of not getting regular access to the staff and players and the usual "we need to work with them ever day" excuse.

It seems there is a lot going on behind the scenes at Firhill, none of which is ever reported, and instead fans have to rely on gossip and information on websites which could be posted by anyone (even imposted Clyde fans).

I'm a Thistle-supporting journalist in Edinburgh (though not a sports one) and have been thinking a bit about the coverage Thistle get in the media.

Match reports aside, there's very little, even in the Evening Times and Herald, which thousands of Jags fans must buy.

The daily coverage across the board seems to be quotes lifted from the official site, or a player saying nothing very interesting at all.

I wonder what other Thistle fans make of this, and the reasons for it. Perhaps the local Glasgow press is scared to get on the wrong side of the club for fear of not getting regular access to the staff and players and the usual "we need to work with them ever day" excuse.

It seems there is a lot going on behind the scenes at Firhill, none of which is ever reported, and instead fans have to rely on gossip and information on websites which could be posted by anyone (even imposted Clyde fans).

Well, The Glaswegian does a online video interview with one of the players usually every other week, plus has news throughout the week from Firhill, and it's a damn site more accessible and local than the Evening Times. The website's also doing a Q&A with the Chairman soon, for which it will shortly be inviting questions from supporters.

The website's also doing a Q&A with the Chairman soon, for which it will shortly be inviting questions from supporters.

Should be interesting. I hope anyone submitting a question will post them here, too, so we can determine if he bodyswerves any of them.

Will all (sensible) questions be put in front of him, or will certain questions be selected? Will it be warts and all, or at the chirman's discretion?

Hi Premjag, who do you write for?

Edinburgh isn't very far away. If you're a news reporter then perhpas you should write something about the stuff behind the scenes.

If our friend can get the idea past the decision makers.

I've been working in journalism since I left university in 1989 and have more than a few contacts. Other than match reports, papers are not interested in Thistle business. Of course, the day the club goes on its arse will be the day they do take an interest. :rolleyes:

Well, The Glaswegian does a online video interview with one of the players usually every other week, plus has news throughout the week from Firhill, and it's a damn site more accessible and local than the Evening Times. The website's also doing a Q&A with the Chairman soon, for which it will shortly be inviting questions from supporters.

Need to get a few good aliases lined up for that. Hugh Jarse is a bit obvious.

Simply because there's more Rangers and Celtic fans in Maryhill than Jags fans, and has been for god knows how many years. I imagine it's the same story all over Scotland - how many Old Firm shirts did people see when we were in Cowdenbeath? I bet Hamilton, Falkirk, Airdrie etc etc, fans get irritated when seeing more coverage of The Big Clash down at Old Trafford than their own teams. Gotta keep your paying readers happy though.

Hi Premjag, who do you write for?

Edinburgh isn't very far away. If you're a news reporter then perhpas you should write something about the stuff behind the scenes.

The Evening News, which is Edinburgh's Evening Times equivalent. No scope for me to do anything, and I don't know anyone within the club, it was just a general question. I know if you read the P&J in Aberdeen or the Dundee Courier, they're always challenging what's going on, and not afraid to fall out with the clubs.

This culture of being 24/7 mates with teams only exists in sport, where-as newspapers criticise NHS, government, councils all the time, but still manage to maintain a working relationship.

The Dundee Courier is a complete and utter lapdog. Around the time of the Harkins signing, they were eating out of Melville's palms.

The P&J hardly ever challenges the internal problems at the Dons. Almost everything is just manager rent-a-quote or a big exclusive on the next big stadium redevelopment/replacement idea before it fails and gets swept under the carpet until Aberdeen unveil another one.

Actually... that's quite a parallel...

The Dundee Courier is a complete and utter lapdog. Around the time of the Harkins signing, they were eating out of Melville's palms.

That would be the Evening Telegraph. Everything else is correct, though. I happen to think the workings of a football club are beyond the scope of the Bert Mitchell's of this world. It's going to take more than a match reporter to get to the bottom of things and, as McKennan suggests, when it comes to news and business we're bottom of the heap.

In saying that, the chap at Livi appeared to have set the wolves on McMaster when it came to the whole dual-nterest stuff, so there may be hope.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

The Evening News, which is Edinburgh's Evening Times equivalent. No scope for me to do anything, and I don't know anyone within the club, it was just a general question. I know if you read the P&J in Aberdeen or the Dundee Courier, they're always challenging what's going on, and not afraid to fall out with the clubs.

This culture of being 24/7 mates with teams only exists in sport, where-as newspapers criticise NHS, government, councils all the time, but still manage to maintain a working relationship.

Is The Evening News not linked to The Scotsman / SoS?

You don't know anyone within the club? Ask for Mr Allan Cowan - 0141 579 1971.

The P&J hardly ever challenges the internal problems at the Dons. Almost everything is just manager rent-a-quote or a big exclusive on the next big stadium redevelopment/replacement idea before it fails and gets swept under the carpet until Aberdeen unveil another one.

Actually... that's quite a parallel...

It's understandable they were eating out his palm at that point. They were the second highest spending club (on transfer fees at least) in Scotland at the time - you're hardly going to get stuck in to them about that.

And the P&J has had a few rows with Aberdeen. I can recall a few, though can only find evidence of one which was in the Evening Express sister...

http://www.allmediascotland.com/press_news/13835/evening-express-sent-to-coventry-by-dons-first-team-squad

Is Andy Baillie still at the Evening News? I haven't seen him in nearly 15 years. :rolleyes: Not too sure about newspapers criticising councils, PremJag. The Evening Times and Herald hardly said booh to the City Champers in Glasgow until the Purcell scandal broke.

I can't argue with you about sports journalism, and don't get me started about the ease with which ex-footballers keep qualified journalists out of work with their old boy network. BBC Sportsound is an excellent example of this.

And hats off to Jags fans who, officially and unofficially, keep me in touch with the rollercoaster ride.

Is Andy Baillie still at the Evening News? I haven't seen him in nearly 15 years. :rolleyes: Not too sure about newspapers criticising councils, PremJag. The Evening Times and Herald hardly said booh to the City Champers in Glasgow until the Purcell scandal broke.

I can't argue with you about sports journalism, and don't get me started about the ease with which ex-footballers keep qualified journalists out of work with their old boy network. BBC Sportsound is an excellent example of this.

And hats off to Jags fans who, officially and unofficially, keep me in touch with the rollercoaster ride.

Not familiar with him, and he's not been here in the three years I have. They may have missed a trick with the Purcell stuff, but a couple of years ago we had a "council in crisis" campaign and often run negative stories about the NHS. This hasn't stopped us being able to work with those organisations, and it shouldn't be an obstacle to getting access to players and info in sport. Having said that, I've never worked in sport so I don't know what it's like on a daily basis, just feel like it's all too cozy and fans/readers are being a bit short-changed as a result.

Need to get a few good aliases lined up for that. Hugh Jarse is a bit obvious.

How about Mike Hunt said quickly? Phone the public phone in a pub and ask if they could put a call out for Mike Hunt. Make sure some of your mates are in the pub watching the bloke who answers the phone. It's hilarious when he roars out "telephone call for My ****" ... :drink2:

Edited by BearsdenLoyal

How about Mike Hunt said quickly? Phone the public phone in a pub and ask if they could put a call out for Mike Hunt. Make sure some of your mates are in the pub watching the bloke who answers the phone. It's hilarious when he roars out "telephone call for My ****" ... :drink2:

Someone's seen Porky's :rolleyes:

Not familiar with him, and he's not been here in the three years I have. They may have missed a trick with the Purcell stuff, but a couple of years ago we had a "council in crisis" campaign and often run negative stories about the NHS. This hasn't stopped us being able to work with those organisations, and it shouldn't be an obstacle to getting access to players and info in sport. Having said that, I've never worked in sport so I don't know what it's like on a daily basis, just feel like it's all too cozy and fans/readers are being a bit short-changed as a result.

Andy was a colleague of mine from waaaaaay back. The trouble with municipal politics is always the clannishness. When the Purcell story broke the Glasgow administration went into party political mode. Some of the sneering and posturing made me want to slap a few faces, frankly.

Scottish journalism is a village. In sport, it's just a shame that most interviewees can't string a cogent sentence together.

Edited by McKennan

To back up what was discussed earlier, the Courier's coverage of what's going on in Dundee is far more in depth and interesting than today's ET's offering...

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Sport/Football/article/5321c2/dundee-fc-board-to-plead-with-calum-melville-to-stay.html

But no quotes from the man in question?

Anyway back to Glasgow... Some of the smaller papers and news websites in Glasgow sometimes get a wider and more balanced view of things.