Today's Evening Times

Ridiculously one-sided take on Cowan's resignation.

Why wheel out Roughie? Thistle legend? Aye. Moron that's completely out of touch with what's going on at firhill? Also true.

Why isn't there a quote from the chairman? Was the supporters' association approached for a comment?

Rag.

Edited to add: just seen Cowan's comments on an online version.

"The financial situation is in some ways better than it's ever been."

Why wheel out Roughie? Thistle legend? Aye. Moron that's completely out of touch with what's going on at firhill? Also true.

Why isn't there a quote from the chairman? Was the supporters' association approached for a comment?

Rag.

Right there are 2 glaringly hilarious/stupid comments in there that shows his head has been in the sand for a long time. Financially its better in some ways than its ever been? WTF was all the talk of part-time about then? Why could we not add to the playing staff with the exception of Flannigan? Why is McCall working with inexprienced coaches? hamiltonjag has identified stupid comment number 2, head clearly in the sand.

Rag.

What did Roughie say?

Rag.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the Thistle in the Media thread of a couple of weeks back.

Right there are 2 glaringly hilarious/stupid comments in there that shows his head has been in the sand for a long time. Financially its better in some ways than its ever been? WTF was all the talk of part-time about then? Why could we not add to the playing staff with the exception of Flannigan? Why is McCall working with inexprienced coaches? hamiltonjag has identified stupid comment number 2, head clearly in the sand.

I could not have put it better. thumbsup2.gif

My old university professor's favourite saying was "it's better for others to think that you are a fool than for you to open your mouth and confirm it". Cowan has just confirmed that he is a fool. Thanks to the disastrous duo and their fellow dunces, we were over a million quid in debt and had to do the PropCo deal to keep the bank happy. They leave with their reputations in tatters. Good riddance!

What did Roughie say?

Well, he "praised" Mr Cowan by saying:

"Allan was part of the rebuilding of Partick Thistle with the supporters all getting together and coming up with a plan to save them when things weren't going well."

All fine and good, Roughy, thanks for the history lesson.

"What he and the supporters did at the time was fantastic. I am surprised that he has left because he has done so much for the club and given so much of his time.

"Funnily enough, it was only last week I was speaking to him and he was looking forward to the season so I don't really understand what has happened in between."

Chuck in a few cliches about "getting the right man" and the First Division being "the kind of league that all the clubs can beat each other on any day".

Bland, bland, bland.

Nothing insightful from the paper, whatsoever.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

Well, he "praised" Mr Cowan by saying:

"Allan was part of the rebuilding of Partick Thistle with the supporters all getting together and coming up with a plan to save them when things weren't going well."

All fine and good, Roughy, thanks for the history lesson.

"What he and the supporters did at the time was fantastic. I am surprised that he has left because he has done so much for the club and given so much of his time.

"Funnily enough, it was only last wee I was speaking to him and he was looking forward to the season so I don't really understand what has happened in between."

Chuck in a few cliches about "geeting the right man" and the First Division being "the kind of league that all the clubs can beat each other on any day".

Bland, bland, bland.

Nothing insightful from the paper, whatsoever.

Bland? Defo. Out of touch with goings on inside Firhill? Most likely. Moronic? Come on, is that not a bit harsh?

Was the supporters' association approached for a comment?

Yes, but by then we had released our own quotes to all newspapers. The Times hasn't used them and that is up to them.

Incidentally, that's one aspect that the Trust need to work on and get better at - making sure that we the supporters get as much media coverage as the guys running the club. It would be great if every time the press asked any club chairman about issues like league reconstruction, for example, they also asked the same club's supporters.

Yes, but by then we had released our own quotes to all newspapers. The Times hasn't used them and that is up to them.

F*cking brilliant.

"Now, whose reaction to this significant occurence will we use? The organisation set up by those who attend games week-in, week-out and met with the board last week. You know, the one with the articulate spokesperson. Nah, let's go for the roly-poly clueless goalie."

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

Incidentally, that's one aspect that the Trust need to work on and get better at - making sure that we the supporters get as much media coverage as the guys running the club. It would be great if every time the press asked any club chairman about issues like league reconstruction, for example, they also asked the same club's supporters.

I expect there will be a follow up piece in the paper tomorrow covering the "brave new dawn" and the way forward for the Club. We have provided some material for that, but whether it gets used ... well, I don't want to set myself up for doing a "Lance", now do I, so I'll reserve comment.

No. I've had the misfortune of listening to his phone in. The quotes will have been tarted up.

:lol:

Wonder when the last time Roughie was at Firhill for a Thistle game.

Should phone up and ask his opinion on the Thistle goalkeeping position. See if he realises Kenny Arthur has left the club!! :rolleyes:

Saw the Clowan's comments in The Sun this morning. Whilst their front page headline and a couple of other pages further in concentrated on Dungdee's financial woes, we got half a dozen lines in the back pages with exactly the same quote as the Times carried tonight.

See what tomorrow night's paper brings but I do think it's a poor show and pretty poor journalism to only carry one side of the story! Who said Pravda was no more? ;)

I stopped buying the Evening Times ages ago. It used to be a good, local paper with incisive articles and courageous editorials. It's now been reduced to a propaganda sheet: firmly in the pocket of Glasgow's crooked councillors and shady businessmen, (or should that be shady councillors and crooked businessmen - it's all beginning to blur).

Let's not forget the 3rd belter in that article from Cowan: "I’d like to think the Board which I was a member of will be remembered for bringing stability."

When was that? 13 years ago maybe, but can anyone realistically stand up for that excuse of a man and say he brought any stability to the club in the 21st century?

Cowan has proved yet again what an utter clown he is. Let's hope it's the last ever utterances we hear from his gob.

Any chance of these quotes being revealed on this forum?

“I don’t know why Allan has left and until we find out the reasons he has left the club then it is hard to comment,” he said. “You need to know what has been going on behind the scenes at the club.

“It might be a business thing, he might not have agreed with what somebody has said, but until he comes out and makes that statement then none of us will know."

Roughie showing he really has his finger on the pulse. Not!

Any chance of these quotes being revealed on this forum?

There's been a lot to digest over the past few days, and a lot of hard work is still going on. The full Trust board meets again on Saturday. My hope is that by then, a few more issues will have become a bit clearer and that we'll be able to reflect on a good week for the Club and post an update article on the Trust website to keep you informed. As ever, if there are questions which arise as a result of that article, then we'll do our best to answer where possible.

In the meantime, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I expect a couple of positive news stories to come out in the general press over the next few days.

I also expect the date of the open fans meeting to be confirmed as being some time in the 1st week in October. That will offer everyone the chance for an "in person" update on events, and I hope a bit of flesh on where the Club is heading.

To an outsider, I can understand that events of the last few days might be seen as a negative thing - sometimes club directors resign because of some scandal or hidden falling out. Some might leave because they think the club is on a downward spiral and they want to get out before it's too late. I don't believe any of that is true in this case. This is, as I understand it, all part of a wider strategy for change that will unfold over the coming weeks and months.

I hope that what we get is a fan driven club that doesn't need to rely on outside intervention or property deals to scrape by, but is self sustaining off the park and enjoys success on it.

But enough of that misty eyed vaccuous chat from me - on with the hard work!