Thistle And Boys Brigade

Woodstock Jag

Went to Cub-scouts in at the First Glasgow in the west end. It's now a Doctors Surgery!

Naw it isny, unless I'm going mad I'm fairly sure there's a new Scout hut just to the side of the surgery (Northcote Surgery). Mon the 1st Vale of Leven.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I was the first in the thread to mention about religious divides , I may have been flippant by saying huuns and tims insinuating it was football related when I clearly meant a protestant/catholic divide. Forgive me for serving up stereotypes that we like to avoid.

I didn't say it as anything other than a piece of fact though, didn't say it to try and associate Thistle with any sectarian values in this move, and I didn't say it to stir up any other controversy either,it may well NOT be common place in other areas of Scotland, I couldn't comment, but where i'm from if you were in the BBs you were Protestant and if you were Catholic you weren't, wether that was an official stance or by means of misinterpreted rumour mongerng I have no idea either, I just know that was the case in my area.

It makes no difference to me what side of that particular divide you fall on, being all growed up now I see it all as being just for youth involvement which is a good thing, I simply didn't like the BBs (or fancy the scouts) because they done other things and all I wanted to do was play fitba 24 hours a day coz I was a bit dafter when I was 6+ years old, not much, but a bit.

That was my experience too as a kid. Perhaps though we grew up in an era when the Church of Scotland was more affected by such things. It's a more open and inclusive organsiation now - so what we remembered may no longer apply - apologies if you didn't grow up in the 50s/60s :P

I guess at that age every keeper is wee for the goals you were put in but there’s no way I was between the sticks when that happened, I was dynamite in goals. And yeah it was the park behind Wessy library near the train tracks and beside the tennis courts. It was an odd shaped pitch, neither long enough or wide enough but still had full size goals.

Speaking of King George V Park, I scored a hatrick there once on my birthday for the BB, I was playing left wing at the time, one was a header, no wee guys ever scored headers, I went nuts. The same park became the site of a warzone a few years later when our year who must have been in 4th year at the time organised a schools 11’s tournament there splitting us down primary school lines, Wessy/Killermont/Colquhoun/Torrance, turned into a massive running battle with numerous threats of getting guys from the Drum/Acre as honours and people being “stakied” :lol:

Yeah headers were rare and as was any real quality of goals. I remember losing a lot of goals in goalmouth scrambles as the marking was terrible and there was usually 10 men from the other team in the box punting the ball around.

That's awesome! We did exactly the same thing when I was at school, some great battles on and off the pitch. In my day Killermont (my team) were the best. Had a massive tournament at Boclair Academy grounds, on that particular day the fights were very minimal and only one broken leg... I was so shocked afterwards at other teams agreeing that we were the best team.

You must be roughly the same age as me I guess.

Yeah headers were rare and as was any real quality of goals. I remember losing a lot of goals in goalmouth scrambles as the marking was terrible and there was usually 10 men from the other team in the box punting the ball around.

That's awesome! We did exactly the same thing when I was at school, some great battles on and off the pitch. In my day Killermont (my team) were the best. Had a massive tournament at Boclair Academy grounds, on that particular day the fights were very minimal and only one broken leg... I was so shocked afterwards at other teams agreeing that we were the best team.

You must be roughly the same age as me I guess.

Killermony Tea Party were bufties :lol:

It was them who bore the brunt of most of the scraps that day at King George V, problem for me being I was mates with both sides, went to Wesst but played rugby with lots of the boys from Killermont and was pals with the rest of them.

I started there in 95 and left in 01

Killermony Tea Party were bufties :lol:

It was them who bore the brunt of most of the scraps that day at King George V, problem for me being I was mates with both sides, went to Wesst but played rugby with lots of the boys from Killermont and was pals with the rest of them.

I started there in 95 and left in 01

Bet I wil have heard of a few of them, our team had a few Maryhill lads (allowed in the Killermont side due to being capped by the primary school) and generally a fairly tough mob with the one or two exceptions, but each team has them. Torrance had a team and had quite a tough time, with the farming jokes etc...

Did you play for West of Scotland? Know a few of the boys and turned out for them a few times as a young lad.

Bet I wil have heard of a few of them, our team had a few Maryhill lads (allowed in the Killermont side due to being capped by the primary school) and generally a fairly tough mob with the one or two exceptions, but each team has them. Torrance had a team and had quite a tough time, with the farming jokes etc...

Did you play for West of Scotland? Know a few of the boys and turned out for them a few times as a young lad.

Started out at Glasgow Accies when I was a youngster, West were courting me for years, I eventually moved for a massive transfer fee in 1997