What Does It Mean To Be A Thistle Fan?

The Earl of Hathaway

It's very interesting reading the 'Why is Firhill not for Thrills' thread and trying to sift out nostalgia from reality, reminiscence from actuality and so on. I think what comes out clearly is that, whatever is going on on the pitch, none of us are particularly happy with the built structure surrounding it and about 100 other things.

I think what this highlights is that, being disgruntled with the old board, McCall, Buchanan's lack of goals, Paton's left foot, the quietitude of the Jackie Husband stand and the location of the Kidzone and the Poice box is what we are in danger of defining ourselves by.

BUT ultimately we are on here talking Thistle things with other Thistle fans - the fact we have a football team that plays in Red and Yellow bonds us together - it's not about who plays or doesn't or what shape the ground is or whatever distraction we seek to amuse ourselves with.

I'm not saying that a Forum shouldn't have these topics, but I think we are concerning ourselves too much with the minutaiae of what our Club (and that's what it is) is about. What we need to do is ensure, by whatever means, that we have a club, that plays in Red and Yellow, to support and pass that legacy on to our children or whoever seeks to take it on. People might call me a bigot, but I like to think of the inscription on Ellis Island when I think about Glasgow - Because Thistle SHOULD be about those who feel disenfranchised by the Old Firm's corporate lies and enshrined bigotry. Whatever 'initiatives' they think to use will never affect the hardcore of F*nian/Proddy hating, who will tie (quite literally) their colours to that mast believing it to be traditional.

So tomorrow I'm taking my son (4) and his friend (also 4) up to Firhill. I'm going to wander up with them, about 2.45 and sit in the Kidzone, and they'll eat some Haribos and drink some juice and have a run about on the terracing with some other kids and take no interest in the football whatsoever. But they do like the mental bit when there's a Thistle goal, and everyone gets a hug...

But they'll have seen a real football match, with flags, shouting and everything.They'll have seen people caring about 11 players in Red and Yellow working their a*ses off to win 3 points, and some singing and some (gasp) swearing and everything else that goes with it - chilliness and floodlights. And, y'know, they might just get the bug.

Discuss.

It's very interesting reading the 'Why is Firhill not for Thrills' thread and trying to sift out nostalgia from reality, reminiscence from actuality and so on. I think what comes out clearly is that, whatever is going on on the pitch, none of us are particularly happy with the built structure surrounding it and about 100 other things.

I think what this highlights is that, being disgruntled with the old board, McCall, Buchanan's lack of goals, Paton's left foot, the quietitude of the Jackie Husband stand and the location of the Kidzone and the Poice box is what we are in danger of defining ourselves by.

BUT ultimately we are on here talking Thistle things with other Thistle fans - the fact we have a football team that plays in Red and Yellow bonds us together - it's not about who plays or doesn't or what shape the ground is or whatever distraction we seek to amuse ourselves with.

I'm not saying that a Forum shouldn't have these topics, but I think we are concerning ourselves too much with the minutaiae of what our Club (and that's what it is) is about. What we need to do is ensure, by whatever means, that we have a club, that plays in Red and Yellow, to support and pass that legacy on to our children or whoever seeks to take it on. People might call me a bigot, but I like to think of the inscription on Ellis Island when I think about Glasgow - Because Thistle SHOULD be about those who feel disenfranchised by the Old Firm's corporate lies and enshrined bigotry. Whatever 'initiatives' they think to use will never affect the hardcore of F*nian/Proddy hating, who will tie (quite literally) their colours to that mast believing it to be traditional.

So tomorrow I'm taking my son (4) and his friend (also 4) up to Firhill. I'm going to wander up with them, about 2.45 and sit in the Kidzone, and they'll eat some Haribos and drink some juice and have a run about on the terracing with some other kids and take no interest in the football whatsoever. But they do like the mental bit when there's a Thistle goal, and everyone gets a hug...

But they'll have seen a real football match, with flags, shouting and everything.They'll have seen people caring about 11 players in Red and Yellow working their a*ses off to win 3 points, and some singing and some (gasp) swearing and everything else that goes with it - chilliness and floodlights. And, y'know, they might just get the bug.

Discuss.

I agree with every single word of this (except the one in bold as it is apparently not a word :P ). It's difficult to define what it means to be a Thistle fan, for me there are a whole load of things that can't be described properly (well at least not without sounding a bit holier than thou) but there is something special about following the Jags. I'll tell you something that I'm 100% clear on...I consider myself to be a good guy, a bit of a pain at times but a good guy none the less, I don't think Id be half the guy I was now if I didn't follow Thistle. The moral fibre, the way I view success, the way I handle disappointment, the level of optimism I have about most things and many more traits of mine that I consider to be good, are borne from my upbringing as a Thistle fan.

My one hope is that my son follows this path, he's 5 and been to a fair few thistle games now (15 I think) and only saw us lose twice (Airdrie last season and Stirling Albion this), he made his debut in a 4-0 victory v Clyde at Firhill and met Lambie and Chico on his first visit. With a grounding like that you'd think he'd be hooked by now...his last Jags game? Previously mentioned Stirling Albion game at Firhill....and he fell asleep (funny enough, he fell asleep at the Airdrie game we lost last season too :thinking: ).

Anyway, mon the Jags :D :D

Edited by Steven H

Almost Night Nurse time for me so I'll keep this (reasonably) brief... I remember being at a game years ago with mates and one of them spotted a wee boy standing just down from us who was probably in his early teens. This wee guy gave us the finest half-hours worth of entertainment as he lived every moment of the match, bawling and shouting encouragement and basically kicking every ball and contesting every ref's decision. Not exactly the voice of an angel - more a pocket psycho in the making. To our immense amusement mention was made of the linesman's wife wearing red stockings and enjoying doggy-style. How this tirade could have come from one so young gawd only knows; but it fair brightened up a cold Saturday afternoon and we were still laughing about it in the pub on Sunday.

This wee guy was a class act and if he's not been sectioned I sincerely hope he is still with us of a Saturday. When Thistle scored he took off up and down the terracing in a personal celebration. Firhill was his planet of choice.

However and to get to the point, what got us about this wee guy was that he was there on his own and was clearly into his team in a big way. Perhaps this is what supporting Thistle is all about, having the balls to go against your mates at school, not bowing to peer pressure and having the conviction of supporting the team that you feel you should. Maybe as you get older, you begin to understand that life is like supporting Thistle: full of ups and downs, good and bad times, getting kicked in the stones and generally being the statue as opposed to the pigeon. I'll leave you with one from Frank Zappa (who was probably a Thistle fan but didn't know it!): I never set out to be weird. It was always the other people who called me weird. I know OF fans who think Thistle fans are weird, but I know different!

Sadly I think for many it doesn't mean anything near as much as it used to and I include myself in that. This isn't just a Thistle thing though as there is a general malaise throughout Scottish football as a whole. How many of you know OF fans who were season ticket holders but who rarely attend at all now? I know many as I do Jags fans who are the same.

I still have and always will have a burning love for Partick Thistle which may well be rekindled when I see my son getting hooked the same way I did but as things stand just now I'm scunnered with football full stop.

Edited by Vom Itorium

I think that for a lot of people it's about family traditions. If my sister is true to her word there'll be a fifth generation of our family showing up there at some time in the near future.

I hold onto that thought. As a footballing, entertainment and community experience Thistle has become totally debased. It maybe means something in three out of 10 visits. We're always hoping for something special and it's good when that happens. Those days are few and far between.

Right now all we have is the past.

Almost Night Nurse time for me so I'll keep this (reasonably) brief... I remember being at a game years ago with mates and one of them spotted a wee boy standing just down from us who was probably in his early teens. This wee guy gave us the finest half-hours worth of entertainment as he lived every moment of the match, bawling and shouting encouragement and basically kicking every ball and contesting every ref's decision. Not exactly the voice of an angel - more a pocket psycho in the making. To our immense amusement mention was made of the linesman's wife wearing red stockings and enjoying doggy-style. How this tirade could have come from one so young gawd only knows; but it fair brightened up a cold Saturday afternoon and we were still laughing about it in the pub on Sunday.

This wee guy was a class act and if he's not been sectioned I sincerely hope he is still with us of a Saturday. When Thistle scored he took off up and down the terracing in a personal celebration. Firhill was his planet of choice.

However and to get to the point, what got us about this wee guy was that he was there on his own and was clearly into his team in a big way. Perhaps this is what supporting Thistle is all about, having the balls to go against your mates at school, not bowing to peer pressure and having the conviction of supporting the team that you feel you should. Maybe as you get older, you begin to understand that life is like supporting Thistle: full of ups and downs, good and bad times, getting kicked in the stones and generally being the statue as opposed to the pigeon. I'll leave you with one from Frank Zappa (who was probably a Thistle fan but didn't know it!): I never set out to be weird. It was always the other people who called me weird. I know OF fans who think Thistle fans are weird, but I know different!

Tom Hughes looks younger than his age.

What does it mean to be a Thistle fan?

Having certain qualities, eg:

Patience; optimism; a good/warped/misplaced sense of humour; a burning hatred of bigotry and sectarianism; a false sense of comfort/security; loyalty; comradeship; (a certain degree of) intelligence; pride in being Scottish; a tendency towards masochism; and some more which escape me at the moment.