Anyone For Hawkwind?

Meister Jag

I hear that everyone's favourite space rockers Hawkwind are back in town soon. Can anyone tell me from what planet they're visiting, HTF they're still alive - never mind being fit enough to be let out on a day pass, and what exactly are they all about? I never understood them back in the 70s and feel that I've maybe missed out on something e.g. copious amounts of 'shrooms! Can anyone offer any insight?

I tried to discuss this with a mate at work who's a Jags fan, an occasional visitor to this DG and who has just owned up to being heavily into space, psychedelic, prog', experimental and hard rock. All musical sub-genres that I know hee-haw about; although following our discussion, I feel I have a rough idea about what he's been experimenting with! Are they any good and have the Hawklords recorded anything catchy? Also, is there any truth in the suggestion that they're on a mission to re-claim rock 'n' roll?

Edited by Meister Jag

• Members

It's only really Hawkwind if Nik Turner's involved. Jesus, it's 31 years since I acquired my first Hawkwind ELPEE and, gulp, 30 years since I first saw them live. Is Ginger Baker dead yet?

It pains me to say it, but you're all getting old.

Hawkwind? Before my time!

These guys are too old to sausage roll too young to die last year I saw AC/DC, Motorhead, Wonderstuff and Dave Sharp (of the Alarm) who were all fantastic and professional, belting out some great tunes. Fair enough Hawkwind do not have the hits or the anthems (apart from Silver Machine) that some of the bands have but bands like Plan B can't hold a candle to these guys.

I have my ticket and really for £20 not including rip off booking fee it surely is a steal.

Saw Nik Turner / Space Ritual closing the Wickerman a few years ago, it was good but Dave Brock has the edge for me. Motorway City and Quark Strangeness and Charm fill me with happiness.

These guys are too old to sausage roll too young to die last year I saw AC/DC, Motorhead, Wonderstuff and Dave Sharp (of the Alarm) who were all fantastic and professional, belting out some great tunes. Fair enough Hawkwind do not have the hits or the anthems (apart from Silver Machine) that some of the bands have but bands like Plan B can't hold a candle to these guys.

I have my ticket and really for £20 not including rip off booking fee it surely is a steal.

Saw Nik Turner / Space Ritual closing the Wickerman a few years ago, it was good but Dave Brock has the edge for me. Motorway City and Quark Strangeness and Charm fill me with happiness.

I'd hate to see your album collection mate and, for the record (no pun intended), Plan B are a recent dalliance - and a damn fine soul singer Ben Drew is too. Too many long-haired louts listed in your post for me. Why not chill and try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtOTodl4sVk&feature=related

It's time you gave up the tie dye and get into some Mod sounds. Here's DC Fontana and they might meet you half-way:

Enjoy your Space Ritual (you having a larf - is that a made up Guitar Hero band?) and long may your bong reek!

I saw them at the Greens, way back in the day when Stacia used to get her massive ones out on stage.

She must've had some sort of aversion to getting them out in Glasgow though. :(

I'd definitely go along to see Stacia present her strong points, though these days they'd surely be sagging down around knee-level.

True: she's now a reasonably successful artist based in Ireland.

I saw them at the Greens, way back in the day when Stacia used to get her massive ones out on stage.

She must've had some sort of aversion to getting them out in Glasgow though. :(

Stacia got them out on several occassions in Glasgow. Saw Hawkwind last Dec at the O2 and they are still pretty good, despite Brock being 70 next year!!! As McKennan says Hawkwind aint the same without Nik Turner and especially Capt Bob Calvert who was the best front man I have witnessed live. Mad as a box of frogs (he did suffer from regular bouts of mental illness's). No chance of Capt Bob reappearing as he died in 88 aged 43, but 76-79 was vintage era for Hawkwind with Calvert, Brock and Turner in tow. Rare footage of Capt Bob here...and Stacia's space globes!!!

http://www.muzu.tv/hawkwind/urban-guerilla-2007-digital-remaster-music-video/154704?country=gb&locale=en

Edited by Lindau

Did anyone go on Saturday?

My cosmic buddy Hanx 78 was there (see above) - any excuse to wear the old loons, cheesecloth and generally get out of your face. But whether or not he's returned to earth is another matter.

However, whilst at the gig he did pause to send me a message and this was to advise that his favourite X-Factor contestant of all time, Olly Murs, is due to play Glasgow and "had soul". Which perhaps explains my concern about his use of mind-expanding substances. But as he'd say if he ever gets round to making a post: "If you can remember the gig, then you probably weren't there!"

My cosmic buddy Hanx 78 was there (see above) Which perhaps explains my concern about his use of mind-expanding substances. But as he'd say if he ever gets round to making a post: "If you can remember the gig, then you probably weren't there!"

Is he really 78...if so he could be in Hawkind. Last part is very true...lol