Thistle International Players

Jaggernaut

The great team of 1971, under McParland, went on to rack up several 'caps', but as I recall, these included quite a few 'League' and Under-23 call-ups.

At one point, IIRC, we were able to count something like seven or eight 'internationals' in our squad. I do stand to be corrected on this.

Tommy Docherty certainly took a shine to that young Jags team.

The great team of 1971, under McParland, went on to rack up several 'caps', but as I recall, these included quite a few 'League' and Under-23 call-ups.

At one point, IIRC, we were able to count something like seven or eight 'internationals' in our squad. I do stand to be corrected on this.

Alan Rough, Alex Forsyth, John Hansen and Alan Hansen were full internationals. Ronnie Glavin got one cap in a friendly after joining Celtic. IIRC Denis McQuade was named in Scotland squads but did not get full caps. I am not sure if Mo Johnson was capped at Firhill.

We have picked up a few ex Old Firm internationalists at the end of their careers. Derek Johnstone and Steve Chalmers played for the Jags at the end of their careers. Derek Ferguson and Andy Walker each played a few games for us. Derek Whyte got 12 cap and Simon Donnelly and Jackie MacNamara have 43 caps between them.

We seem to have a good eye for goalkeepers. Billy Thomson, who made one appearance for us, got 7 full caps after leaving us for St Mirren. Nicky Walker got 2 caps after leaving us. More recently, Kenny Arthur was named in 2 full Scotland squads by Bertie Vogts. Jamie Langfield has been named in Scotland squads after leaving Firhill. Jonny Tuffey has several Northern Ireland Caps.

Other internationalists include Jakup Mikkelsen (Faroe Islands goalie), Jose Quitongo (?) and Jorge Cadete (Portugal). Others can probably add to this list.

Edited by kni

• Members

Alan Rough, Alex Forsyth, John Hansen and Alan Hansen were full internationals. Ronnie Glavin got one cap in a friendly after joining Celtic. IIRC Denis McQuade was named in Scotland squads but did not get full caps. I am not sure if Mo Johnson was capped at Firhill. Derek Johnstone and Steve Chalmers played for the Jags at the end of their careers.

We seem to have a good eye for goalkeepers. Billy Thomson, who made one appearance for us, got 7 full caps after leaving us for St Mirren. Nicky Walker got 2 caps after leaving us. More recently, Kenny Arthur was named in 2 full Scotland squads by Bertie Vogts. Jamie Langfield has been named in Scotland squads after leaving Firhill. Jonny Tuffey has several Northern Ireland Caps.

Other internationalists include Jakup Mikkelsen (Faroe Islands goalie), Jose Quitongo,

Jimmy Bone was capped for Scotland and scored in a 4-1 away win against Denmark (he may have been with Norwich by that point though.) Also Billy Thomson made more than one appearance for Thistle (and a quick check tells me he made 7 appearances, I thought it was way more than that).

And just remembered Joe Craig also made an appearance for Scotland after signing for Celtic. (Pretty sure he scored as well).

Edited by Willjag