Mcleish

lady-isobel-barnett

Heard him yesterday going on about Friday night football for SFL clubs. More HERE.

Firstly whether in favour or not, once again has Joe Public ever been consulted about this?

Secondly I don't do polls but how do folk on here think about Friday night football? Will you be able to go? If not would it affect whether you bought a season ticket or not?

My own view without giving it much thought is I'd be OK with it in autumn and spring but certainly not for about 4 mths of the season (start of Nov till end of Feb).

If it brings in cash from live television it could be a winner but TV companies would want continuity throughout the season and I really can't see winter games on a Friday night being popular.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard him yesterday going on about Friday night football for SFL clubs. More HERE.

Firstly whether in favour or not, once again has Joe Public ever been consulted about this?

Secondly I don't do polls but how do folk on here think about Friday night football? Will you be able to go? If not would it affect whether you bought a season ticket or not?

My own view without giving it much thought is I'd be OK with it in autumn and spring but certainly not for about 4 mths of the season (start of Nov till end of Feb).

If it brings in cash from live television it could be a winner but TV companies would want continuity throughout the season and I really can't see winter games on a Friday night being popular.

Any thoughts?

Ipersonally think we'd be better off (in the SFL divs 1 2 and 3) just moving over to summer football - kkick off in feb and end in nov :thumbsup2:

Ipersonally think we'd be better off (in the SFL divs 1 2 and 3) just moving over to summer football - kkick off in feb and end in nov :thumbsup2:

I want summer football as well but that doesnt work above. Whats happens when you get promoted/relegated?

As for Friday night football - i certainly wouldnt vote for it. Crowds would be tiny in my opinion

Any thoughts?

Yet another belter of an idea from this clown that would edge me closer to jacking in watching Scottish football entirely.

Any thoughts?

If they changed the licensing laws and you were able to buy a pint and sit and watch the game, similar to the rugby then I think you'd be on a winner. Also, reckon if you kept the kids go free scheme you may well see a few more kids (& paying adults) on a Fri night simply because it doesn't clash with anything really (speaking with my parent hat on here.)

Anyway at the end of the day I reckon it will be a non starter for us as are we not classed as the same policing as the in firm? & because of that and the man power required elsewhere in the city on a Fri they won't allow it!

The SFL should have a winter break in December and January. The clubs would get bigger crowds for midweek evening games in August, September, October, March, April or May.

Surely fans would rather watch games on sunny, warm evenings before the nights draw in. Away fans could be more likely to travel when the evenings are light. The club would save money on heating and lighting and it would be easier to keep the pitch in good condition too.

As I said on the other thread: "Henry McLeish can go **** himself". What a tube. None of these chancers give a monkey's what the fans think.... about anything. One of the benefits of a larger league would be fewer games, and therefore less tuesday night knacker-freezing games. Or fridays either.... especially at Firhill for obvious reasons. I can feel another forehead slap coming on....... (SMACK!)

As I said on the other thread: "Henry McLeish can go **** himself". What a tube. None of these chancers give a monkey's what the fans think.... about anything. One of the benefits of a larger league would be fewer games, and therefore less tuesday night knacker-freezing games. Or fridays either.... especially at Firhill for obvious reasons. I can feel another forehead slap coming on....... (SMACK!)

We don't have many mid-week games - http://ptfc.co.uk/matches

We beat Falkirk in August. The (rescheduled?) Queen of the South game on 7th December was postponed. The Stirling Albion game was brought forward from March, postponed and has yet to be re-arranged. So that's a total of 3 midweek league games out of a total of 36 - a 12th!

To avoid the freeze, we should have more midweek games in the warmer and lighter months.

The SFL should have a winter break in December and January. The clubs would get bigger crowds for midweek evening games in August, September, October, March, April or May.

Surely fans would rather watch games on sunny, warm evenings before the nights draw in. Away fans could be more likely to travel when the evenings are light. The club would save money on heating and lighting and it would be easier to keep the pitch in good condition too.

just a thought but what about schools being out and holidays.

i think it has been mentioned before but does that mean we are never going to try for the world cup and that other diddy cup ???

it would need to be a world wide thing and actualy i would rather be in my garden having a beer and be able to watch thitle play in the winter

just a thought but what about schools being out and holidays.

i think it has been mentioned before but does that mean we are never going to try for the world cup and that other diddy cup ???

it would need to be a world wide thing and actualy i would rather be in my garden having a beer and be able to watch thitle play in the winter

I enjoy watching and playing sport on a warm summer evening. I can recommend Twenty20 cricket at a packed Lords or the Oval. Being able to have a pint in your hand is, admittedly, a big factor.

I enjoy watching and playing sport on a warm summer evening. I can recommend Twenty20 cricket at a packed Lords or the Oval. Being able to have a pint in your hand is, admittedly, a big factor.

you bring up the other point of taking away custom from the "summer" sports and who/what do you watch so therfore poss reducing crowds.

sorry leave well alone IMHO

Edited by jaggybunnet

you bring up the other point of taking away custom from the "summer" sports and who/what do you watch so therfore poss reducing crowds.

sorry leave well alone IMHO

Hmmm. I can see that it's not easy to find an ideal solution but I don't think you can seriously argue that the current situation is "well enough".

Re your point of taking custom from other sports, how many guys watch both football and cricket? Very few I'd guess.

OK there's only a handful of fans here have voiced their opinion about friday night games. That said it's fair to say there's virtually no endorsing opinion in favour.

McLeish given a free hand would have us Div 1 clubs subjected to such an initiative(?) in exactly the same way he champions us playing a minimum of 4 games a season against each club in the same division.

This guy is truly a complete arse. Questions also have to be asked of the idiots who commissioned the clown in the first place.

Hmmm. I can see that it's not easy to find an ideal solution but I don't think you can seriously argue that the current situation is "well enough".

Re your point of taking custom from other sports, how many guys watch both football and cricket? Very few I'd guess.

A lot of guys watch football and Twenty20 cricket. Twenty20 gets huge crowds and a lot of people go straight from work. Rugby League made the switch to summer and seems to be doing well enough.

Very good idea, though if football fans insist upon behaving like weans when they take drink they can expect to be treated like weans.

Exactly. The English rugby clubs make a lot of money out of selling beer. I have been treated to hospitality at Harlequins. They have beer sellers patrolling the stands during the game. The massive bars, virtually the entire length of the main stands, have bands and dances after the match until 9pm.

Re your point of taking custom from other sport, how many guys watch both football and cricket? Very few I'd guess.

i have seen nothing on here or the Mcleish report that would change my mind so why would not say leave well alone?

do you have the lotto numbers as well??? :P

there would need to be a propper checks to see this didnt happen or clubs could be in even more crap than now.

No to Friday night football - would work for some, but wouldn't for the majority imo.

Good point kni.

OK there's only a handful of fans here have voiced their opinion about friday night games. That said it's fair to say there's virtually no endorsing opinion in favour.

McLeish given a free hand would have us Div 1 clubs subjected to such an initiative(?) in exactly the same way he champions us playing a minimum of 4 games a season against each club in the same division.

This guy is truly a complete arse. Questions also have to be asked of the idiots who commissioned the clown in the first place.

Exactly. But as long as the lunatics continue to run things, they will continue to ignore the general footballing supporting public. Jobs for the boys and all that.

Edited by yoda-jag

David Beattie on reform

Say we play on a Friday night rather than a Saturday afternoon, that could open up so many new opportunities for the club.

:o Haven't heard too many folk in favour.

To be fair that's a selective quote as David is also advocating Summer football. I'd maybe be more interested in Friday night football if I knew what those opportunities were. I'd have thought selling hospitality and season tickets would actually be harder.

Maybe Beattie feels we could get more neutrals or people who lean towards either side of the Old Firm by playing on a Friday? I tend to go to a lot of the rugby matches on a Friday night purely for something to do rather than because I'm a big Warriors fan. When you're there too you hear conversations of others who seem to have the rugby as part of a greater night out and are heading down Ashton Lane/Byres Road afterwards.

I believe a club down south who share a city with Premier League clubs played on Fridays and may have increased attendances, Tranmere I think?

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Maybe Beattie feels we could get more neutrals or people who lean towards either side of the Old Firm by playing on a Friday? I tend to go to a lot of the rugby matches on a Friday night purely for something to do rather than because I'm a big Warriors fan. When you're there too you hear conversations of others who seem to have the rugby as part of a greater night out and are heading down Ashton Lane/Byres Road afterwards.

I believe a club down south who share a city with Premier League clubs played on Fridays and may have increased attendances, Tranmere I think?

That's what I was thinking David Beattie has in mind.

From a corporate point of view I just think the folk that use hospitality are more free on a Saturday afternoon. I'd certainly be concerned at upsetting current season ticket holders.

If it was in conjunction with a March-November season Friday night football might be more appealing. I just can't get my head round summer football in the first place.