Just In...

The Earl of Hathaway

There were times in the game last night when we were absolutely brilliant, especially in the second half we dominated and were as good as we have been all season. Like a boxer having someone against the ropes giving out body shots I was just waiting for us to knock them out but unfortunately we didnt do it. What I will say though is that its the first time in a long time that we went behind in a game and I actually knew we were not going to lose.

Their second goal looked a bit schoolboy from us, it was a long straight hoof that Archie (I think) seemed to misjudge and it all went pear shaped from there.

I don't care what anyone else says I love the Scottish Cup and it seems out fans took it seriously, how many of us were there last night? Seemed like a good turnout.

That was my first time at the Falkirk Stadium since Cardiff City played a friendly there the year it opened. It is a bit of an oddity in the sense that it is a new ground in Scotland that I think is brilliant. If tney could put an identical large stand down the remaining side it would be a truly great stadium. The stands are steap keeping giving you that 'on top of the pitch' feeling, plenty of room for the fans and the noise was kept in the ground. The fact they open all 3 stands when they clearly don't have to is also to their credit as it really helps the atmosphere. And then you think what is happening to our ground.

really? u mean all these refs waving players who have been treated for injury back on to the park are wrong? doh.gif

Players can be waved back on if they've only went off for treatment, but since he was changing his boots the ref or linesman has to check his studs before he can go on the pitch. Happens before the game in the dressing room or the tunnel usually

Last night was my first away game in ages. Glad I turned down a free ticket in the Falkirk end because the atmosphere was great. I'll be making an effort to go to a few more away games this season. Started the first half well and it was great to see Buchanan score but we were getting pushed deeper and deeper as it went on and Falkirk deserved their goal. Second half we started brilliantly, don't know how many corners we had but they seemed relentless. Falkirks goal came against the run of play. I think Archie misjudged a long ball and that left a big gap. At that point I thought we were going out but McCall made some good substitutions and they paid off with the goal. Fraser only got the ball a few times but looked a good player, running straight at the defence and producing a good ball in.

As for the two Falkirk penalty claims. The one with Fox was just a collision which he couldn't do anything about as he was committed to the challenge. The second one with Compton was a dive and outside the box, he should have been booked.

Rowson was definitely MOM for us, great tackling, taking on players and he seemed like the only player able to keep up with Mark Stewart. Fox, had another good game no chance for the goals but a very safe pair of hands and good kicking off all the back passes. I really hope we can keep him. As for Donnelly, I'm a fan but think he was a bit off last night with a few passes going astray but certainly didn't deserve the abuse he was getting off some in the crowd. Think we've got more than enough to beat them in the replay.

Highlights now available on the BBC.

Sounded much more one-sided (in our favour) from the match updates than the footage suggests, but that's probably down to red and yellow coloured spectacles either in the updates or from me.

Two well taken goals, and Mark Stewart's is pretty good actually. The penalty incident with Fox was never a penalty.

Paton's lack of a left foot cost us at the 2nd goal. What was he doing trying to clear it with the outside of his right!

Unless someone can supply contrary instances Paton ALWAYS clears or attempts to clear with his right foot.

Btw close to that subject I get the impression that defenders know they can pass back to Fox in relative safety. Like Tuffey he's very good on his weaker foot. I counted only one occasion when he opted for a paton otherwise he kicked clear excellently with his wrong foot each time of asking.

Cairney's been getting a fair amount of stick on here of late, mostly imo deserved, but I wouldn't blame him for the miscue from Donnelly's pass in the 2nd half. He burst a gut to get into the goalmouth and in fact got there a split second too early.

Unless someone can supply contrary instances Paton ALWAYS clears or attempts to clear with his right foot.

Btw close to that subject I get the impression that defenders know they can pass back to Fox in relative safety. Like Tuffey he's very good on his weaker foot. I counted only one occasion when he opted for a paton otherwise he kicked clear excellently with his wrong foot each time of asking.

Cairney's been getting a fair amount of stick on here of late, mostly imo deserved, but I wouldn't blame him for the miscue from Donnelly's pass in the 2nd half. He burst a gut to get into the goalmouth and in fact got there a split second too early.

I'd the impression earlier in the season that he'd put on a lot of weight but I noticed in the pics on the OS that he seems a lot leaner - still sturdy but no longer pudgy. Since his game depends so much on his energy levels he really needs to watch that. Hopefully his loss of form earlier this season will have taught him the lesson that he can't afford to let things slip in the off-season.

Got to agree with most of above good all round effort by the team and vey unlucky not to win the game. Big pointers must be the fact when you are so on top you must bury the opposition and I think the 10 minute spell in the second half when we had about 4- 5 corners and plenty of possession we should have scored. However pleased that the the team came back from a goal down and that we have them back at Firhill.

The only downside for me was the lack of effort and heart from Donnolly prety poor game and should have been substituted.

Great support on the night and how bad was the Falkirk contingent

The only downside for me was the lack of effort and heart from Donnolly prety poor game and should have been substituted.

Great support on the night and how bad was the Falkirk contingent

I wasn't at the game so I'm not in a position to comment on his contribution over the 90 mins but as has been pointed out, it was Sid's pass through to Frazer that set him up to cross for the 2nd goal.

No, but it led to a replay and further revenue. Moron.

Moron......I think you will find it was the goal that led to the replay and if you really want to call me moron I will gladly take the duscussion further at the game tomorow with pleasure. Im sure you will be easy to recognise as are most of Simon Donnollys love childs.

What is it with some of the faceless wonders that sit behid their laptops/PC and want to dish out abuse because opinions differ. I was there on Tuesday night and Donnolly was rotten and basically contributed very little to the 90 minutes which funny enough was pretty apparent not just to me but others obviously hence the other thread.

As for the question re who I would have left on out of the choice of 3 Buchanan just because his work rate at closing the defenders down was much better and having scored the goal.

As for the question re who I would have left on out of the choice of 3 Buchanan just because his work rate at closing the defenders down was much better and having scored the goal.

So you would have subbed Donnelly rather than Buchanan? That's fair but I thought Liam was well knackered after about 80 mins.

I also thought Donnelly over the piece didn't have a good game but imo McCall got his substitutions spot on, which is not something that has happened too regularly of late.

I most certainly didn't think starting a thread solely about his performance was anyway warranted and I must admit to being a bit suspicious of the motive of poster Mencius. Btw what else has he/she posted on here?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The main problem i have with Donnelly is when he gets tackled and loses the ball he does not bother making any attempt to get the ball back, he just sort of stands there shrugs his shoulders and lets someone else deal with the problem.

To be fair to the guy, he's 36 now and probably realises his own limitations. I would imagine that the rest of the team know what Sid will and wont do and it is accomodated into the tactics.

Have to agree with Grant B. Didn`t we release Donnelly in the summer and then he was straight back in?

We need the guy for his technical ability and not for his work-rate.

Official Site says 19 goals in 102 appearances in 4 seasons - not bad for a veteran:

Simon arrived at Firhill prior to the start of the 2006/2007 First Division campaign and the forthcoming season will therefore be his fourth as a Partick Thistle player although he will now be charged not just with influencing events on the part but the development of the younger players at the club as well.[/b]

What is it with some of the faceless wonders that sit behid their laptops/PC and want to dish out abuse because opinions differ. I was there on Tuesday night and Donnolly was rotten and basically contributed very little to the 90 minutes which funny enough was pretty apparent not just to me but others obviously hence the other thread.

You'll be popping down pitchside today to tell Donnelly exactly how you feel, then?