The Excellent Main Stand

Jaggernaut

Start a lottery and who wins gets first release of the concrete wrecking ball. I'd buy 10 tickets. The stand is not great and should be replaced.

This excellent stand holds a lot of great memories for many Jags fans. It also forms part of a very impressive frontage, which would be the envy of many clubs, what do you suggest it is replaced with?

I almost find it more annoying when people refer to it as 'The Excellent Main Stand' as when the board refer to it as 'The Old Stand'. Why don't we just not patronise it, rise above the spin from the club regarding it, and call it.....'The Main Stand'?

It was never the Main Stand ("Excellent" or otherwise) other than in the eyes of those for whom sentiment took precedence over sense!

It was "The Stand" - we only had one until The Jackie Husband Stand was created with a capacity almost three times that of the original stand.

It's no longer "The Stand", since we have two - of which it is the lesser and entirely unused.

The only way it merits being called the Main Stand is if we could lift up the crumbling edifice and drop it in the sea.

In an ideal world we could retain the façade and build something practical within it in terms of seating capacity consistent with our needs, dressing rooms , club offices etc. These days are probably as far from an ideal world as you can get and, in terms of priorities, the structure should feature about as far down the list as debates about what it is called!

Edited by CCjag

This excellent stand holds a lot of great memories for many Jags fans. It also forms part of a very impressive frontage, which would be the envy of many clubs, what do you suggest it is replaced with?

Yup. And speaking purely for myself, it was where we all sat on Friday nights in the 60s to watch the EXCELLENT reserves. It's where my dad took me as a wee boy to watch my first few first team games. It's where the incomparable enclosure is situated.

It's a million things to me and I understand that I'm spouting no more than blurby sentiment really, but I fckn love that bit of the stadium, it's quite a big part of what I am.

Yup. And speaking purely for myself, it was where we all sat on Friday nights in the 60s to watch the EXCELLENT reserves. It's where my dad took me as a wee boy to watch my first few first team games. It's where the incomparable enclosure is situated.

It's a million things to me and I understand that I'm spouting no more than blurby sentiment really, but I fckn love that bit of the stadium, it's quite a big part of what I am.

You speak for me too. Well said.