James Mccarthey

cleveland steamer

However, at least we are well covered now in the midfield area - it would be worse if we had lost a couple of top class forwards or centre halves!

i silently weep myself to sleep nightly when i think of any pairing involving either of the caldwells or berra. i am beginning to sincerely believe we need to bring back the 2-3-5. is there no way levein can scour italy for someone with a scottish granny?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't be an idiot. let people do what they want then judge them on their own merits. **** every country. why should i love or hate someone just because of where they happened to be born? Don't support Scotland either. Don't dilute ur love for thistle. u r a traitor if u support scotland

dickwad

i silently weep myself to sleep nightly when i think of any pairing involving either of the caldwells or berra. i am beginning to sincerely believe we need to bring back the 2-3-5. is there no way levein can scour italy for someone with a scottish granny?

:lol:

I know what you mean. I don't think any of the current crop of centre halves would have got near the squad in the '90s. In those days, Craig Brown could even afford to discard Richard Gough on a point of principle. Nowadays, his predecessor wouldn't have such luxury.

bruce rioch, andy goram, neil sullivan, stuart mccall, richard gough, nigel quashie, paul devlin, scott dobie, james morrison, kris common, phil bardsley, jamie mackie, matt gilks. this and our attempts to lure gabriel agbonlahor and andy carrol into the fold. (and let's not even get into the ill advised attempts to get david johnson - jamaican born, but adopted in the uk - to represent scotland)

pot, kettle, black and all that

i don't remember this much harumphing when dominic matteo decided that he wanted to be scottish again.

The only ones that you can genuinely compare from your list is Carroll and Agbonlahor. They were at the same stage of their careers as McGeady and McCarthy when Scotland approached them.

The rest of them were obviously not going to be picked for their country of birth, so i believe that is slightly different.

I want people playing for Scotland that consider themselves Scottish and actually want to play for the team. As such, the likes of McGeady and McCarthy are no great loss.

Was there not talk once of Matt LeTissier maybe playing for us once, because he was born in the Channel islands?