James Mccarthey

cleveland steamer

Word on the street is that James MCarthey is swithering over a switch to playing for the country he was actually born and brought up in.

Given that Scotland now has a pretty good midfield as it is, should we bar him from gracing us with his presence, or should we forgive and forget his previous stand regarding his nationality?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me hopes we tell him to go f*ck himself but suppose we'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face really. He is a cracking player and we're not exactly over-subscribed with players of his quality and potential.

That said, I tend to think this is nothing more than mischievous media reports. He's just returned from an injury and probably didn't want to risk his fitness playing in a diddy competition against Wales.

I hope this turns out to be true. If anything sums up the incompetence of those running our game, then this is it. Scotland bosses were told time and time again by various players and managers that McCarthy was top class. They were repeatedly ignored and Ireland stepped in. It would be an absolute travesty if he wasn't able to wear the dark blue.

I hope this turns out to be true. If anything sums up the incompetence of those running our game, then this is it. Scotland bosses were told time and time again by various players and managers that McCarthy was top class. They were repeatedly ignored and Ireland stepped in. It would be an absolute travesty if he wasn't able to wear the dark blue.

Any update on the "horrible" "loathsome creature" Harry Roberts?

If McCarthy genuinely has seen the light, I think we should get him in. He's the one genuine world class 20 year old that is eligible to play for Scotland.

I wonder if this has come about from him seeing McArthur now getting a game for Scotland and fancying the idea of playing international football alongside him as well as club football?

If he's already played for ROI does that not mean he cannot play for us ? Rules are so vague, i've no idea.

There seems to be a bending of the rules because he's played some sort of friendly which wasnt fully classified as a full FIFA match...seems a bit dubious to me.

So thats him played for Ireland and fulfilled his Grandfathers dying wish...so why not jump ship and join us

Word on the street is that James MCarthey is swithering over a switch to playing for the country he was actually born and brought up in.

Given that Scotland now has a pretty good midfield as it is, should we bar him from gracing us with his presence, or should we forgive and forget his previous stand regarding his nationality?

don't be an idiot. let people do what they want then judge them on their own merits. **** every country. why should i love or hate someone just because of where they happened to be born? Don't support Scotland either. Don't dilute ur love for thistle. u r a traitor if u support scotland

Edited by Gimp

The rule is quite simple any player has to have played a competitive game for their country of choice..He only played a friendly therefore still has the opportunity to play for Scotland. However word on the street also is that the S.F.A. and more so the Scotland management have been sounding him out. It looks like he will be named in the next ROI squad and that will be the measure of whether he is going to swap nations. Personally I would love to have someone of his ability as a choice.

don't be an idiot. let people do what they want then judge them on their own merits. **** every country. why should i love or hate someone just because of where they happened to be born? Don't support Scotland either. Don't dilute ur love for thistle. u r a traitor if u support scotland

Nonsense. And in text speak.

Nonsense. And in text speak.

I was hoping he was having a laugh....not sure though. At least Scotland winning last night compensated for Thistle losing.

I'm used to Ugly Sisters fans not being interested in Scotland. It would be a sad day if we went that way. Not going to happen.

Edited by beep0608

Don't support Scotland either. Don't dilute ur love for thistle. u r a traitor if u support scotland

:blink:

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Words fail me.

Then i noticed this in the general chat forum from earlier today from same poster....

I just want to tell anyone who is in the tartan army, thank you. see when they said 'make some noise for the british army and you all went AAAAAAARRRRGGHH!!!!!! RAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!' meant so much to the boys. the noize was deafining. i'm not a scotland fan but that noize they made for the army, it will be remembered, even by the english boys. It's good to know you back us. I for one, will support Scotland now :clapping:

:wacko:

:thinking: So, Gimp, how would you describe yourself?

It's in the papers today that he will not change his mind and he will remain with Ireland. Good luck to the lad. Scotland had their chance and they blew it big style.

I hope he goes on to have a fantastic career at both club and international level.

Aye, just so. Wish the turncoat well! :unsure:

Aye, just so. Wish the turncoat well! :unsure:

He's not really a turncoat though, is he? Scotland snubbed him repeatedly and subsequently, Ireland made an approach, making it clear they rated him highly. You can hardly blame the lad for choosing the country who showed faith in him from the start.

It's just another fine example of the incompetence from those running our game.

There's far too much ignorance from Scotland fans on this subject.

He's not really a turncoat though, is he? Scotland snubbed him repeatedly and subsequently, Ireland made an approach, making it clear they rated him highly. You can hardly blame the lad for choosing the country who showed faith in him from the start.

It's just another fine example of the incompetence from those running our game.

There's far too much ignorance from Scotland fans on this subject.

Yeah have to agree with you there. Scotland have benefited from some opting to play for us who were not born in Scotland, we had numerous chances to do the right thing by James and we made a mess of it. I don't blame the lad for making the decision he came to.