Pedants' Corner

Blackpool Jags

Anybody think this thread is starting to flounder?

Can anything be done to shore it up?

:thinking:

If the thread is "starting to flounder" (def. "to struggle with stumbling or plunging movements"), it does not follow, ipso facto, that "to shore it up" will necessarily achieve greater pedantic stability for said thread.....

Feck me, ma heid's buzzled. :D

If the thread is "starting to flounder" (def. "to struggle with stumbling or plunging movements"), it does not follow, ipso facto, that "to shore it up" will necessarily achieve greater pedantic stability for said thread.....

Feck me, ma heid's buzzled. :D

Correct!

But I guess you saw what I was angling at.

• 1 year later...

Charlie Stayt. Continually uses 'stood' and 'sat' when it should be 'standing' and 'sitting' e.g. 'If you're sat there...". Nobody effing sat me anywhere.

He also says 'less' when it should be 'fewer'.

I can no longer watch Breakfast due to him and Carol Kirkwood.

You're perfectly correct in pointing out these grammatical horrors, CE. In the days before I departed Maryhill for Lancashire, nobody in Scotland (IIRC) used 'stood' and 'sat' in that context, but I notice they've crept into the Scottish lexus over the past few years. One or two comedy actors from the North of England - notably Jimmy Jewel and Hylda Baker - went out their way to parody their use: "I were stood standing", or "sat sitting there".

Yeuch!

Oh, and yes - less cheese; fewer packets of cheese.

Charlie Stayt. Continually uses 'stood' and 'sat' when it should be 'standing' and 'sitting' e.g. 'If you're sat there...". Nobody effing sat me anywhere.

He also says 'less' when it should be 'fewer'.

I can no longer watch Breakfast due to him and Carol Kirkwood.

Susanna Reid is the only reason you need to watch BBC Breakfast. :love:

Only last week, my 6 year old daughter was complaining about her little brother going into her bedroom.

"I don't like him being here!", she exclaimed.

Obviously, I advised her that you should always use a possessive adjective instead of a pronoun with a gerund and that she should have said "I don't like his being here.". :doh:

I don't know what they teach them at school nowadays. :no:

• 2 months later...

Right, first off well done sellick on beating Barca blah blah blah. Now somebody explain to me how this "you know it's an unbelievable result, especially as the club celebrated its 125th anniversary 'yesterday' (7/11/2012)" actually works.

Last time I checked, they had 1888 all over the place as their inaugural year; and I can kinda understand how exciting it'll be to talk about being 125 years old, but HTF can you be 124 years old and celebrate your 125th anniversary?

My tardis is in for a service atm, but what is theirs up to? :frantic:

Right, first off well done sellick on beating Barca blah blah blah. Now somebody explain to me how this "you know it's an unbelievable result, especially as the club celebrated its 125th anniversary 'yesterday' (7/11/2012)" actually works.

Last time I checked, they had 1888 all over the place as their inaugural year; and I can kinda understand how exciting it'll be to talk about being 125 years old, but HTF can you be 124 years old and celebrate your 125th anniversary?

My tardis is in for a service atm, but what is theirs up to? :frantic:

Good question. Is it something to do with them beginning their 125th year maybe...? Edited by crazy davie

Good question. Is it something to do with them beginning their 125th year maybe...?

Quite possibly; only they will know if that's their 'rationale' for popping the champagne corks a year early. If so, it's a bit like this shyte I hear quite a lot down here: "How old are you, mate?" ... "54........................................................next birthday!" When said birthday is 10 months away! :mad:

Wee Lennon, Bonner in the studio and an array of (understandably) jubilant Tims were getting all post-coital at the fact their greatest result in 45 years occurred the day after the 125th anniversary. Eejits.

Quite possibly; only they will know if that's their 'rationale' for popping the champagne corks a year early. If so, it's a bit like this shyte I hear quite a lot down here: "How old are you, mate?" ... "54........................................................next birthday!" When said birthday is 10 months away! :mad:

Wee Lennon, Bonner in the studio and an array of (understandably) jubilant Tims were getting all post-coital at the fact their greatest result in 45 years occurred the day after the 125th anniversary. Eejits.

Tim pal of mine says it's the 125th Anniversary of the meeting which formally founded the club. 1888 seemingly is when they played their first mactch.

I'm still not quite sure though how their centenary was 1988 and their 125th is 24 years after that.