Team Vs Falkirk

twinny

No real complaints. A draw would probably have been a fair result but credit to Falkirk for taking their chances.

We were probably the better team in the first half and could have been going in for half-time a goal up. Erskine weaved through and curled a shot towards the top corner which hit the bar and fell to Paddy Boyle who couldn't manage to get over the ball and headed over an open goal. Thought we played some decent stuff at times , with Doolan and Grehan in particular linking to good effect. But, alas, we couldn't get that all important opening goal. I do feel if Erskine or Paddy could have converted that chance, we would have gone on to win.

Much like Saturday, Falkirk played considerably better in the second half; that said, I never really felt we were in any danger of losing a goal. Until they scored. Flynn done well and it was a nice finish from the impressive Alston. Second goal came soon after; great cross and an equally good header from Finnigan who, despite being an antagonising wee b*****d, is actually a handy player. We could have made more of a couple of chances but, to be honest, I can't recall Olejnik having a save to make. Scrappy consolation towards the end from Kinniburgh but it was too little, too late and we had no time to mount a push for an equaliser.

We looked pretty weary as the game wore on tonight. Falkirk made five changes, I think, from the team that played on Saturday whereas we made one which weakened us, in my opinion, as McNamara is finished; tonight confirmed that for anyone who thought otherwise.

For me, the man of the match was Blair Alston; thought he had a really good game. Tidy on the ball, decent in the air, got stuck in and finished his goal superbly. Flynn was decent again and could cut it in the SPL pretty easily, in my opinion.

For us, Grehan played well in the first half and tailed off in the second. Erskine threatened to continue on from Saturday but he was a doubt before the game and it looks like the injury caught up with him. Again at home however, our reluctance to shoot from anywhere further than ten yards meant that we were pretty easy to contain.

Oh well. Round three awaits.

No real complaints. A draw would probably have been a fair result but credit to Falkirk for taking their chances.

We were probably the better team in the first half and could have been going in for half-time a goal up. Erskine weaved through and curled a shot towards the top corner which hit the bar and fell to Paddy Boyle who couldn't manage to get over the ball and headed over an open goal. Thought we played some decent stuff at times , with Doolan and Grehan in particular linking to good effect. But, alas, we couldn't get that all important opening goal. I do feel if Erskine or Paddy could have converted that chance, we would have gone on to win.

Much like Saturday, Falkirk played considerably better in the second half; that said, I never really felt we were in any danger of losing a goal. Until they scored. Flynn done well and it was a nice finish from the impressive Alston. Second goal came soon after; great cross and an equally good header from Finnigan who, despite being an antagonising wee b*****d, is actually a handy player. We could have made more of a couple of chances but, to be honest, I can't recall Olejnik having a save to make. Scrappy consolation towards the end from Kinniburgh but it was too little, too late and we had no time to mount a push for an equaliser.

We looked pretty weary as the game wore on tonight. Falkirk made five changes, I think, from the team that played on Saturday whereas we made one which weakened us, in my opinion, as McNamara is finished; tonight confirmed that for anyone who thought otherwise.

For me, the man of the match was Blair Alston; thought he had a really good game. Tidy on the ball, decent in the air, got stuck in and finished his goal superbly. Flynn was decent again and could cut it in the SPL pretty easily, in my opinion.

For us, Grehan played well in the first half and tailed off in the second. Erskine threatened to continue on from Saturday but he was a doubt before the game and it looks like the injury caught up with him. Again at home however, our reluctance to shoot from anywhere further than ten yards meant that we were pretty easy to contain.

Disagree with you about McNamara i thought he had a decent game.

Spot on with everything else though.

Disagree with you about McNamara i thought he had a decent game.

Spot on with everything else though.

Was just going to post exact same. That said I thought McNamara went off for tactical reasons yet we continued with a back three. I still tho' don't believe we were the poorer side while Jackie was on the pitch. I know he put in a decent 90 min shift not that long ago so I'm not that sure he's a goner. Can't see on last night's evidence what Armand saw that convinced him otherwise.

Anyway I'm fairly sure we won't be seeing Jackie play many more games for us so it's hardly worth much discussion. Agree tho' with about everything else Armand 2 posted.

Pretty much entire agreement from me. I've highlighted in bold three points that I think are worth emphasizing. First, Erskine did really well to work the space and then try to curl in the ball. Much better than the usual thing we see which is a player simply trying to blast the ball past the keeper and usually it ends up going straight at him.

Second, yes, Jackie M is hopefully playing his last season for us. He was basically okay last night, but on one occasion in the first half when he had to race to put the ball out for a shy (which he did) the manner in which his pace over the last few yards declined was dramatic and plain for all to see.

Third, the lack of shots was funny/frustrating/tragic. Had to laugh out loud at Cairney receiving the tap from a free-kick and then instead of belting it trying to skip beyond an oncoming defender and losing out completely. There were other examples. HIT THE F*CKING THING!!@!

Was just going to post exact same. That said I thought McNamara went off for tactical reasons yet we continued with a back three. I still tho' don't believe we were the poorer side while Jackie was on the pitch. I know he put in a decent 90 min shift not that long ago so I'm not that sure he's a goner. Can't see on last night's evidence what Armand saw that convinced him otherwise.

Anyway I'm fairly sure we won't be seeing Jackie play many more games for us so it's hardly worth much discussion. Agree tho' with about everything else Armand 2 posted.

I've came to that conclusion on the basis of a few of his recent games. For me, he's just looked very lethargic; his lack of pace was emphasised on a few occasions last night, his use of the ball has been pretty sloppy and, in my opinion, he just looks quite laboured now. I was probably over-critical of him as he didn't play terribly last night but there are quite evident signs, for me anyway, that he's very near the end (if he's not already arrived there). I noticed he was getting some treatment once he went off but, to be honest (and I suppose hindsight is a great thing), I would have taken him off earlier and moved Kinniburgh into the middle.

Edited by Armand2

Until Chris Erskine went off I thought their was only going to be one team to win it - us. We had the better attitude and chances should have been a couple up by the time Erskine went off.Almost as soon as he went off the game for me changed, Falkirk then had the better attitude and the team who wanted to win as we turned into a complete car crash. However no way for the first half and until Erskine went off did they look the team that was going to win or have the better attitude. What was most disappointing was the way we completely lost it and allowed them into the game like that.

Totally agree.

When Erskine went off, we lost our shape and creativity in midfield. Two more substitutions later, and by the end of the game, I thought we were all over the place.

I couldn't even muster the enthusiasm to stand up at our goal.

I though it would be the game (out of the three) that we would lose, so I was prepared for the result. Didn't stop me feeling mildly optimistic at half time though!