Youngsters

Jaggernaut

Liverpool's two full-backs on Saturday were 17 and 18 years of age.

I'd much rather watch a team with 4 or 5 under-23s than one with 4 or 5 over-33s.

Let's hope that McNamara continues to give some of the young lads some 1st team experience in the last couple of matches, to whet their appetite for next season's challenge.

Shouldn't go too much by English league, they tend to have a lot of young lads who are big and strong for their age in their youth teams. Some guys are good enough but not physically ready and need to be brought on carefully.

That said, in our current crop of youngsters we seem to have a few lads who can handle the physical side of things as well has having the skill needed. Campbell, Fraser and Bannigan all seem OK in that respect. Thought MacBeth was fine too earlier in the season when he got a few games.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Jack Wilshere aged 19 has been running the Arsenal midifled all season. It is not inconceivable that he along with Aaron Ramsey aged 20 will be the Arsenal idfield next season.

Give them a chance. If they make it they make it, if they don't they don't.

Both I believe were out on loan to other clubs for longish spells. They haven't just been thrown in. There's no doubt though that Bannigan and Campbell will see regular first team action next season and the likes of Fraser, MacBeth and others mentioned elsewhere will be thereabouts too. But we've brought them on carefully - though we might have seen more of them this season if we hadn't been in such a dodgy league position for so long.

As I said earlier it's also the case that some youngsters can handle it better than others - that's partly physical and partly maturity. Some kids develop physically quicker than others, some mature quicker.

So, no it's not true to say "if they're good enough they're big enough". Other factors are important too - and remember, teams as big as Arsenal will have a far bigger youth policy and be able to choose from a far larger pool of talent than us - they'll be able to pick out kids that are good and also show good physical development and maturity.

A team like us has to run with kids who not only will have less ability but will often need more nurturing to get the best out of them.

Edited by Mr Bunny

You must wait till youngsters are ready to play at first team level. We have excellent coaching staff working with them and you have got to trust their judgment on them, they see them all week in training.

On what I have seen, Bannigan, Campbell, and Fraser all could go on to play at a higher level.

The one I see the most potential in is Fraser, big and strong, quick, and has got an excellent shot on him. This is usually more than enough to score goals at this level. He also looks to have plenty of self-confidence.

I think we will be trying to put out a few on loan as soon as the new season starts, this seems to work well.

You can ruin a young players confidence by blooding them too early - see John Fleck.

The way we are doing it at Firhill seems to be working. I was at Pollok on Sunday and the youngsters were simply brushed off the ball by guys who have all learned how to play the juniors way! They weren't so much outclassed, more outgunned.