Ebay Confusion

Jaggernaut

Here, it looks like St Johnstone are celebrating a goal in Perth against the Jags (top photo), but the bottom photo is described as an offside goal by St Johnstone against Celtic (bottom photo). That also seems fair enough, but that's Firhill in the bottom photo, isn't it?????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Henry-Hall-St-Johnstone-v-Celtic-Press-Pic-v-Partick-/300551022463?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item45fa3ca77f#ht_500wt_1156

And another: I've got an old Jags Subbuteo team, with the old wire-stick goalie. This is a more recent version, clearly inferior quality and with a plastic stick goalie....... but currently at £100 !.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subbuteo-PARTICK-THISTLE-HW-Team-Ref-29-Very-Rare-Bases-/280664435360?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Subbuteo_SM&hash=item4158e76aa0#ht_7579wt_1141

Baffled.

Here, it looks like St Johnstone are celebrating a goal in Perth against the Jags (top photo), but the bottom photo is described as an offside goal by St Johnstone against Celtic (bottom photo). That also seems fair enough, but that's Firhill in the bottom photo, isn't it?????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Henry-Hall-St-Johnstone-v-Celtic-Press-Pic-v-Partick-/300551022463?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item45fa3ca77f#ht_500wt_1156

Top pic looks like Firhill (North End with a wee bit of the Shed showing). Bottom pic looks like the old jungle end at Parkhead to me.

Edited by Steven H

Top pic looks like Firhill (North End with a wee bit of the Shed showing). Bottom pic looks like the old jungle end at Parkhead to me.

Hmm, I don't think so for either of those. The old north terracing was bigger than the one in the top photo, and immediately to the right of the no. 10 (looks like Alex Rae) there's some kind of building which would not have existed at Firhill (not least because all that was there was the nolly).

Also, I've no recollection of the old jungle at Porkheid having a 6-ft wall like that; Firhill was unique for it's wall.

I think.....

• Members

And another: I've got an old Jags Subbuteo team, with the old wire-stick goalie. This is a more recent version, clearly inferior quality and with a plastic stick goalie....... but currently at £100 !.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subbuteo-PARTICK-THISTLE-HW-Team-Ref-29-Very-Rare-Bases-/280664435360?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Subbuteo_SM&hash=item4158e76aa0#ht_7579wt_1141

Baffled.

Heavyweight team Jaggernaut. One of the rarer sets hence the price. When I was younger, I used to re-paint mine to match the colours of the day. Loved that game when I was younger.

Hmm, I don't think so for either of those. The old north terracing was bigger than the one in the top photo, and immediately to the right of the no. 10 (looks like Alex Rae) there's some kind of building which would not have existed at Firhill (not least because all that was there was the nolly).

Also, I've no recollection of the old jungle at Porkheid having a 6-ft wall like that; Firhill was unique for it's wall.

I think.....

Never noticed the building just under the roof (that I thought was the shed)until I enlarged the pic. Also didn't realise the hieght of the wall in pic 2 until I looked at the player in the distance. My memory of Muirton Park is very vague, could both pics have been taken there?

Heavyweight team Jaggernaut. One of the rarer sets hence the price. When I was younger, I used to re-paint mine to match the colours of the day. Loved that game when I was younger.

Me too. Many an afternoon and evening were spent with friends having "cup matches", giving a running commentary on the game while it was going on, and trying to explain to the (imaginary) listening public why the inside left had to leave the field for the remainder of the game (he'd just been knelt on by me or friend).

Edited by Jaggernaut

I'm fairly certain that the first photo is from Muirton and I might even have been at that game! My grandparents lived near Perth and I saw quite a few games there in that era. Thistle played St Johnstone in a Dryborough Cup game on 31 July 1971. This would tie in with Lady IB's inspired recollection about the other photo - I was sure it was Firhill but couldn't work out why Celtic would be playing Saints there.

St Johnstone had a very good side then with Henry Hall and John Connolly outstanding - we lost 2-1 at Muirton conceding both goals in the last two minutes. Alex Rae was in our side...but my main memory of the game was Denis McQuade picking the ball out on the left wing, skinning the right back - a fellow called Lambie - waltzing past four other defenders then shooting past the post from six yards.

• Members

Not so sure that photo is from 1971. Even with his back to us, the shirt that Alex Rae is wearing looks like the same style that St J are wearing with the collar that wasn't popular till 1972. I can recall us wearing the yellow socks quite often with the v neck and winged collar shirts, but don't recall seeing them so much with the 71 Cup winner style shirt.

Also, the Brook Street advertising in the background, there's a Brook Street in Bridgeton and the partial phone number would indicate it was that area. I doubt Perth back in the 70's would have had that sort of numbering range anyway. So totally convinced here it was Firhill.

Edited by Willjag

Baffled.

The Italians go mad for Subbuteo.. you'll probably find it's heading there as they'll pay silly money.

Not so sure that photo is from 1971. Even with his back to us, the shirt that Alex Rae is wearing looks like the same style that St J are wearing with the collar that wasn't popular till 1972. I can recall us wearing the yellow socks quite often with the v neck and winged collar shirts, but don't recall seeing them so much with the 71 Cup winner style shirt.

Also, the Brook Street advertising in the background, there's a Brook Street in Bridgeton and the partial phone number would indicate it was that area. I doubt Perth back in the 70's would have had that sort of numbering range anyway. So totally convinced here it was Firhill.

Retreived my scrapbook of newspaper cuttings from season 71/72 from the attic. There's a picture of Denis in front of goal with a trail of Saints Defenders...he's wearing a V-necked shirt and light coloured socks, the Saints players have the white V-neck and winged collars exactly like the Ebay photo. So I'm convinced it's from the Dryborough Cup game at Muirton in 1971.

There's no doubt that the second Ebay photo is from Firhill.

Benny Rooney was a regular in that St Johnstone side - I had a particular dislike of them, especially after they thumped us 8-1 at Firhill in 1969.