Broadband Suppliers

RabTheJag

I was wondering if anyone could tell me who they would recommend as a good broadband provider? I have been with Tiscali up to 8 mb for almost 3 years but in January they were bought over by TalkTalk and since then I have been getting terrible speeds in the evenings and at night, almost as slow as dial-up.

So Im looking at what else is out there in my area. I don't want to just go for the cheapest, I would like to move to up to 20mb speeds. O2 Premium offers 20mb speeds for £15 a month; BE broadband offers 24mb speeds for £17.88 a month, or there is Virgin Media who offer a good price on 20mb if you change to a Virgin phoneline, but ideally I would like to keep my BT phoneline.

Has anyone got experience of these broadband providers? I would value any comments, there are so many choices out there, I want to make sure I make the right choice.

I've been with Virgin Media for about two years and never had any problems with them. The broadband is fast and I have never had a service outage.

One other thing to consider is that if you get an all-in-one package you can get a really good deal. I got a really good mobile phone contract as part of my TV/broadband/internet package. I guess you can get something similar from o2 and Orange though.

I had 02 Broadband and the service was OK, fast but the wireless was slightly temperamental, and if you moved house you had to pay 50quid! So when I moved this time I cancelled and decided to go to Talk Talk instead, cheaper with phoneline and broadband, but says you can get 20meg speed, but where I live I can only get 6meg. But it is a cheaper option.

Currently with Sky and have no complaints. Had Virgin too and they were reliable. Just put in Talk Talk for my mother, very simple too and she's near an exchange so her rate was incredibly fast, not that she needs it but £6.99 a month is not bad value if you are not a high end user.

Currently with Sky and have no complaints. Had Virgin too and they were reliable. Just put in Talk Talk for my mother, very simple too and she's near an exchange so her rate was incredibly fast, not that she needs it but £6.99 a month is not bad value if you are not a high end user.

Aye aye aye..... but will it support Linux? :P:D:whistling:

The guy in the flat above me has BT wi-fi and I can honestly say that in the 2 years I've been using it, I've had no problems what so ever. :whistling:

:clapping:

I've been with Virgin / NTL for years and never had any problems. A friend had talk talk and had nothing but trouble to be fair that was about 2 or 3 years ago so it may have improved

• 4 months later...

Me either until I checked my 'up to 20mb broadband' this morning !

0.85Mb/s download speed !

Robbing basturds ! :mad2:

See what happens when you take tech advice from someone who hasn't got a scooby and thinks Linux is somehow inferior to Mac/PC?

It's like taking advice on social skills from Raymond Babbitt!

Seriously though...... get tore into that Sky mob. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Edited by hamiltonjag

See what happens when you take tech advice from someone who hasn't got a scooby and thinks Linux is somehow inferior to Mac/PC?

It's like taking advice on social skills from Raymond Babbitt!

Seriously though...... get tore into that Sky mob. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Got them to up it by 300% after telling them I was off if they didn't improve it. :thumbsup2:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me who they would recommend as a good broadband provider? I have been with Tiscali up to 8 mb for almost 3 years but in January they were bought over by TalkTalk and since then I have been getting terrible speeds in the evenings and at night, almost as slow as dial-up.

So Im looking at what else is out there in my area. I don't want to just go for the cheapest, I would like to move to up to 20mb speeds. O2 Premium offers 20mb speeds for £15 a month; BE broadband offers 24mb speeds for £17.88 a month, or there is Virgin Media who offer a good price on 20mb if you change to a Virgin phoneline, but ideally I would like to keep my BT phoneline.

Has anyone got experience of these broadband providers? I would value any comments, there are so many choices out there, I want to make sure I make the right choice.

• Members

I just tore into Sky for being a bit crap, and got a lot of upgrades for free and half price bills. Whoever you're with, threaten to leave and if they don't try everything to make you stay then they really aint worth it.

What sort of upgrades? I'm paying £7.50/month for their top Broadband package.