1971 Cup Final

thistledome

I was just a sperm swimming around in a sack somewhere... great to read all these memories of the great day though and so makes me wish my Grandad had managed to tell me the story of his day before he passed away as he was a massive Jags man.

On that basis, I was at the game! It was 14 years later I was born, so even by this twisted logic I am grasping at straws!

Question for the old yin who were there - if we won the League Cup next year would it be anywhere near as good? I can't imagine it would be unless we beat Celtic by the same score.

For me, it would be better. I'd only been following the team since 1968 so winning a cup in such a short time didn't seem so unique. Having waited all the years since then, winning another major trophy would mean so much more.

Probably more likely to have a coronary with the stress though!!

Question for the old yin who were there - if we won the League Cup next year would it be anywhere near as good? I can't imagine it would be unless we beat Celtic by the same score.

Absolutely YES! Us winning either of the "major" cups in today's economic meltdown would be an achievement of immense proportions. In the last 20 years, only on 5 occasions has it been won by a team outside of the manky mob.

Of the current SPL teams, St Mirren, Dunfermline, St Johnstone, ICT and Kilmarnock have never won the League Cup.

The only reason for me for it to be not as good is that Dad wouldn't be with me.

Tend to agree with Allan & Wiltshire. Winning one of the cups would be an amazing achievement on today's finances. Winning a cup like Livinghell did and Gretna nearly did would be a hollow achievement but to a sugardaddyless club like ourselves it would be immense.

I do find a certain ambiguity about celebrating the anniversary of the '71 game. Without doubt it always should be remembered but when we do just that later on in the year we're sadly also remembering it's 40 years since we've won a major semi final.

Of course it would be as good. For a start, it would mean that we had a brilliant attacking team packed with talented youngsters. That on its own would be as good as '71.

To echo the words of Arthur Montford's commentary, that day in 1971 was a once in a lifetime experience.

Season 1969/70 was the first season I started going to games at Firhill on a regular basis - I was 13. That was also the first season that Thistle had ever been relegated from the top division. I saw us lose a League Cup game 8-1 to St Johnstone at Firhill.

Dave McParland - arguably the greatest ever Jag - took over as manager for season 70/71. He introduced youngsters, we played exciting attacking football and we romped the Second Division, a different class from the opposition.

From the start of Season 71/72, the side was filled with young players with flair and personality - Rough was a superb keeper, Alex Forsyth an attacking full back with a thunderous shot, three wingers, Lawrie, McQuade and Gibson, the telepathically linked strikers Coulston & Bone, and my all-time favourite Jags player, Ronnie Glavin.

In the quarter final we turned over St Johnstone 5-1 - redemption for the previous beating and probably my choice for the most enjoyable game I've seen at Firhill.

Celtic were beaten finalists in the 1970 European Cup, they were in the middle of their 9-in-a-row League winning run and their side in 1971 was a mix of Lisbon Lions and new stars - Dalglish, Macari, David Hay, George Connolly.

After just over 30 minutes, we were 4-0 up - it can never be as good as that again!!

We lost 7-2 the following Saturday to Aberdeen of course.

I haven't seen enough of our current youngsters to form an opinion...but if even one of them turns out to be anywhere near as good as any of the the guys from '71, I'll be delighted. And even if we fluked a Cup Final victory against Celtic next season with a last minute deflected goal from a blatantly offside position...well I'd love it if we beat them.

It would be another fantastic achievment, considering the so called "gap" between the PL teams and everyone else, although i dont totally agree with it, I would say that it would be better, only just, waited to long since the last one. As mentioned elsewhere there are a lot of similarities between then and now regarding the teams, new manager and a youngish team, maybe the League cup might be a bit soon for the team to "gel" so perhaps by the time the Scottish cup comes around who knows, heres hoping that if we dont achieve any cup wins, that we at least get good cup runs that would enhance the club, give confidence to the players and the fans as well as the financial benefits