Robbo

nohidingplace

It looks like we could not afford to keep Robbo! - http://www.eveningti...star-1.1109518?

"McNamara’s need for defensive reinforcements was heightened this week after the departure of John Robertson to Ayr, the 35-year-old joining Paddy Boyle in heading out of Maryhill...

McNamara, whose pre-season training programme began this week, was sad to see his former defensive partner leave.

He said: “I was disappointed to lose John, he is a great professional. I would have liked to have kept him at the club but, again, it comes down to money. John has a family to think about and I fully understand that.”

Very disappointing!!

Edited by kni

Top dollar? I doubt it.

In relative terms. From the piece you've quoted it looks as if Robbo was looking for one last decent payday before he calls time on his playing career. Ayr were obviously prepared to pay that for a man they see as being central to their defence next season. We weren't, as he'd be a bit part player at Firhill. All logical, understandable and acceptable.

It looks like we could not afford to keep Robbo! - http://www.eveningti...star-1.1109518?

"McNamara’s need for defensive reinforcements was heightened this week after the departure of John Robertson to Ayr, the 35-year-old joining Paddy Boyle in heading out of Maryhill...

McNamara, whose pre-season training programme began this week, was sad to see his former defensive partner leave.

He said: “I was disappointed to lose John, he is a great professional. I would have liked to have kept him at the club but, again, it comes down to money. John has a family to think about and I fully understand that.”

Very disappointing!!

Why is it disappointing that we wouldn't meet his wage demands?

I wouldn't have said he'd have been a bit part player - I can't really see both Archibald and Kinniburgh making it all the way through the season without a spell of injury or suspension. Plus, since he can play full back too, I reckon he'd get regular enough games: he's good neough so that once he got in the team it would be ahrd to get him out.

But he's no doubt decided these two will be the starting pairing and if Robbo is looking for one last good pay day then good luck to him - maybe he's getting paid to coach too and we've got more than enough coaches at the moment.

I think losing him might weaken the squad slightly though as there's no guarantee we'll get Balatoni back so anyone new we may bring in will take time to fit into the team.

I wouldn't have said he'd have been a bit part player - I can't really see both Archibald and Kinniburgh making it all the way through the season without a spell of injury or suspension.

Depending on how those spells last, I'd call that a bit-part player. He certainly wouldn't be first choice in any position he plays. Decent enough cover? Yes. Cover worth spunking cash that go towards a few other covering players? No.

Depending on how those spells last, I'd call that a bit-part player. He certainly wouldn't be first choice in any position he plays. Decent enough cover? Yes. Cover worth spunking cash that go towards a few other covering players? No.

It's rather insulting to call him a bit part player - we know the two players the manager has decided are our starting centre back pairing are unlikely to go through a season without spells of absence. You don't want a 'bit-part' player for main cover, you want someone who can do a good job and who can take over for a long period if that's required.

If Balatoni got signed he'd be OK for that ... if not I'd hope we get someone who has at least some experience with other clubs even if he is relatively young.

But perhaps all we're disagreeing about is what 'bit-part' means. I appreciate we have a limited budget so can't afford to pay Robbo what he wants and will be foreced to bring in a (hopefully decent) loan player instead.