Unusual Team Names In The Uk

Harrybriscoe

Some Welsh teams have quite odd names, like (the obviously sponsored) Total Network Solutions FC (are they still going?); or The New Saints (which sounds more like the name of a band).

I think that Total Network Solutions became The New Saints.

They met Liverpool in the Champions League 1st qualifying round after the season in which Liverpool won Europe but finished 5th in England.

Gainsborough Trinity.

Actually, thinking about it, Sheffield Wednesday is pretty unusual name. What does the 'Wednesday' part actually refer to?

Ditto Leyton Orient.

I was thinking Gainsborough Trinity myself. I saw them against the now Defunct Ilkeston Town last year.

Some Welsh teams have quite odd names, like (the obviously sponsored) Total Network Solutions FC (are they still going?); or The New Saints (which sounds more like the name of a band).

I find Airbus UK quite an odd name, but they're obviously a works team too.

Sheffield Wednesday used to play on Wednesdays. What about Billingham Synthonia?

Cheers for that, I was genuinely curious. I remember after the USA '94 World Cup John Harkes, the American player, signed for Sheffield Wednesday. Apparently it was reported in one 'paper over there as: "Harkes signs for Sheffield, Wednesday". :lol:

Billingham Synthonia is a good one. That almost sounds like a Muse song.

Gainsborough Trinity.

Actually, thinking about it, Sheffield Wednesday is pretty unusual name. What does the 'Wednesday' part actually refer to?

Ditto Leyton Orient.

Sheffield Wednsday played on wednesday afternoons, which was the traditional half day working in the city , Leyton Orient were founded by staff from the oriental shipping company , another works team ,a popular thing in London , e.g. West Ham , Arsenal.