Arbroath Scottish Cup Game

MWM

Is there any footage of it on the web?

One of the first away games I have a proper memory of in my head. I remember the Thistle fans running on the pitch after the game, and the game playing with an orange ball, the pitch was surrounded by snow shovelled to the side.

From the little of I remember of the actual game, we spent pretty much the whole second half camped in our own box.

Is there any footage of it on the web?

One of the first away games I have a proper memory of in my head. I remember the Thistle fans running on the pitch after the game, and the game playing with an orange ball, the pitch was surrounded by snow shovelled to the side.

From the little of I remember of the actual game, we spent pretty much the whole second half camped in our own box.

Pretty sure the Beeb covered highlights as they tend to do for the Scottish Cup. A stand out game for me too. Went up with young son. Forgot in his excitement to take a jacket, ended up giving him mine. Was frozen solid, as was the windscreen washer on the way back down, but we still talk about that game we won with the magnificent eight!

Can still hear us singing "8 men-we only need 8 men" as we were leaving that day.

Was standing right next to a bbc cameraman that day,so footage should be doind the rounds somewhere.

Remember thistle player committed foul in penalty box,abroath player kept going and scored.but ref pulled it back for a pen and sent jags man off.

Can still hear us singing "8 men-we only need 8 men" as we were leaving that day.

Was standing right next to a bbc cameraman that day,so footage should be doind the rounds somewhere.

Remember thistle player committed foul in penalty box,abroath player kept going and scored.but ref pulled it back for a pen and sent jags man off.

So glad the 3rd sending off was right on Full Time. I didn't fancy our chances if we had to play even a couple of minutes with 8 v 11.

Think what made it all the more enjoyable was it was , if memory serves me right, our first cup win in 10 years !

Was a great day, players and fans celebrated as if we had just won the cup.

Think I've finally thawed out from that day within the last week or so !!!!!

Vague memories of this game. The cold, how frozen the pitch was and i'm sure Archie (a very young Archie) was one of those sent off?

I think we got the train up and called ahead as there was more snow the further north we went, quite surprised the game was still on.

Tommy Bryce was in charge wasn't he?

Vague memories of this game. The cold, how frozen the pitch was and i'm sure Archie (a very young Archie) was one of those sent off?

I think we got the train up and called ahead as there was more snow the further north we went, quite surprised the game was still on.

Tommy Bryce was in charge wasn't he?

The three players sent off were David Kennedy, Des McKeown and Jamie McKenzie - goals for from Robert Dunn and Paul Tosh - Kenny Arthur had a stupendous second half saving and blocking everything that was thrown at him - my memory of that day was how calm the sea was- i kept looking at it during that wild second half!

The referee was the late Bobby Orr.

The three players sent off were David Kennedy, Des McKeown and Jamie McKenzie - goals for from Robert Dunn and Paul Tosh - Kenny Arthur had a stupendous second half saving and blocking everything that was thrown at him - my memory of that day was how calm the sea was- i kept looking at it during that wild second half!

The referee was the late Bobby Orr.

Well, shows how much I remember.

David Kennedy - Scotlands number 1 after a game at Alloa when he went in goal.

• 1 year later...

Away, December 1998. One of my favourite all time Thistle games, despite one of us nearly getting frostbite! At half time we were discussing memorable cup games including the loss to Cowdenbeath when Don McVicar missed a penalty, only to then discover the man himself was standing right behind us! He didn't take offence!

Fantastic backs to the wall performance. Abiding memory was Robert Dunn running himself to standstill chasing every ball we knocked forward with absolutely no-one getting up to support. I had a feeling the 3rd sending off was with about 10 minutes to go, but could be wrong?

My memory of this game to this day still causes me confusion. Kennedy ( I think) fouled the Arbroath striker as he closed in on goal and was red carded for presumably preventing a goal scoring opportunity, however the striker continued towards goal and scored which stood. So red card for preventing goal scoring oppounity and also a goal for Arbroath ?????

I thought it was the first time in almost ten years we got to the third round of the Scottish Cup?

When we were in the first division, we entered the cup at the 3rd round (and went no further).

The Arbroath game was a first or second round tie (not sure if we got a bye in the first) because we were in the second division.

It was our first victory in the Scottish Cup since we beat St. Mirren at Love Street in January 1989. If we had lost to Arbroath we would have gone an entire decade without winning a Scottish Cup tie.

In fairness, the draws through the years weren't particularly kind to us. The only game I can recall being an actual shock result was the aforementioned Cowdenbeath game at Firhill.

My memory of this game to this day still causes me confusion. Kennedy ( I think) fouled the Arbroath striker as he closed in on goal and was red carded for presumably preventing a goal scoring opportunity, however the striker continued towards goal and scored which stood. So red card for preventing goal scoring oppounity and also a goal for Arbroath ?????

dont recall that TGL,the guy carried on and scored but the ref gave a penalty instead and sent off thistle player.