Football Attendances

Jaggernaut

I had to travel into Glasgow by train yesterday morning. Then train to Livi. After the match, bus and train back to Stirling. That, plus the admission price, a Bovril and some crisps, a coffee at Queen Street, and I kissed goodbye to almost £60, and that was without a single pint passing my lips!

Next time you could consider taking the train to Falkirk and then bus from Falkirk to the ground.Thats if you dont mind sitting on a bus for 90 mins!

This is a huge part of the factor, that was you travelling yourself, say you had taken 2 kids to the game you'd be looking at close on £100 thats a huge lump of someones weekly wage before they pay their rent, food electricity etc. Then when the product on the park is poor, the weather is poor etc etc there is even more reason for people to stop going and thats before you look at the other alternatives for people/ families to do on a saturday night

Agreed on all points. I have to say though that I thought that Saturday's game was very entertaining. Pricey at £17 of course, but that and the nice weather made it enjoyable (until the very end!). But thinking ahead to what's in store over the next few months......

Plymouth Argyle who are bottom of the English leagues had over 6000 on Sat to see their first home win. Puts SPL attendances into perspective

Sorry Sandbank boy, but i don't agree. You cant compare a country with the size of Englands population with one the size of Scotlands. You said Plymouth got 6000 at their home match, but the population of Plymouth is 267,000, that means only 2% of the city turned up. In Paisley on saturday 5000 turned up to watch St. Mirren, Paisley has a population of 74,000, that meant 6.7% of the town turned up, plus unlike Paisley, Plymouth is isolated from other major cities, there will be more Old Firm fans in Paisley than there are Saints fans. I only used Paisley as an example, the same could be done with Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline, etc.

Edited by JAGZ1876

Sorry Sandbank boy, but i don't agree. You cant compare a country with the size of Englands population with one the size of Scotlands. You said Plymouth got 6000 at their home match, but the population of Plymouth is 267,000, that means only 2% of the city turned up. In Paisley on saturday 5000 turned up to watch St. Mirren, Paisley has a population of 74,000, that meant 6.7% of the town turned up, plus unlike Paisley, Plymouth is isolated from other major cities, there will be more Old Firm fans in Paisley than there are Saints fans. I only used Paisley as an example, the same could be done with Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline, etc.

Hmm, I wonder what percentage of our supporters live in Maryhill? I'd guess a tiny percentage, whereas before all those the tenements in and around Maryhill Rd and Firhill got knocked down it would have been the majority.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Plymouth's population is comparable then to Aberdeen's, whose home gates this season have been about 4,000 - 5,000; and they are a top flight club! I reckon there are more than a few Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool tops to be seen in Plymouth as well, despite its remoteness.

Hmm, I wonder what percentage of our supporters live in Maryhill? I'd guess a tiny percentage, whereas before all those the tenements in and around Maryhill Rd and Firhill got knocked down it would have been the majority.

I would say most would live outwith maryhill, but the point of my previous post was attendances in relation to town/city populations.

That has been a big problem for the smaller teams in Scotland. Local population moves about in a way it didn't in the past, in our case the huge restructuring of the city has really weakened our support and scattered a lot of it throughout the country.

The old firm aren't affected by this as they've always had the country-wide bigot support anyway and a few teams in big towns outwith Glasgow like Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen have (potentially at least) still decent supports. Every other teams support has been decimated.

Edited to add, I think in England someone moving to a new town and having difficulty travelling to see his old team, would far more likely give some support to his new local team than someone in the same situation here. I know there is a growing tendency these days for young guys to claim to support a "big team" like Man U, Chelsea, etc. but support of local teams still holds on well down there despite that.

Up here it's not just supporting a "big team", the OF is far more invidious (not sure right use of the word, I'll just claim I'm expanding it's meaning cleverly) than that, it's a pressure put on youngsters all the time and they're made to feel small for not supporting one of the ugly sisters.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Edited to add, I think in England someone moving to a new town and having difficulty travelling to see his old team, would far more likely give some support to his new local team than someone in the same situation here. I know there is a growing tendency these days for young guys to claim to support a "big team" like Man U, Chelsea, etc. but support of local teams still holds on well down there despite that.

I'm not so sure I agree completely with this, but it does happen. Those who move away from their 'roots' in England, who I have seen anyway, tend to become football fans with no particular affiliation with any team but soft spots for teams that friends support. I've met Scottish people living in England too who feel the same way, not having any affinity for any Scottish clubs but tend to look for the scores of many.

I can't see me going that way, but I have often wondered what would happen if I stay down here and have kids. I would obviously make sure they supported Thistle, but I would perhaps encourage them to support whoever the local team is as their English team. As I hate people from outside Glasgow who support Rangers because their father did, would that make me any different?

I don't think so... on this forum we have uberteeb who manages to support his father's team and thistle (and Arsenal) and I think that's pretty normal when your father is from another part of the UK, but it's not ok when you move within Scotland and you're a H*n.

Incidentally, are Arsenal the big team of Cardiff supporters? :P I've noticed that ALL Swansea fans I've ever met have Man Utd as their big team so wondered if Welsh fans all have particular English clubs. It probably speaks more for Swansea than it does for Wales though.

Sorry, gone off on a tangent, procrastinating at work.

I don't think so... on this forum we have uberteeb who manages to support his father's team and thistle (and Arsenal) and I think that's pretty normal when your father is from another part of the UK, but it's not ok when you move within Scotland and you're a H*n.

Incidentally, are Arsenal the big team of Cardiff supporters? :P I've noticed that ALL Swansea fans I've ever met have Man Utd as their big team so wondered if Welsh fans all have particular English clubs. It probably speaks more for Swansea than it does for Wales though.

There is no 'big team' for Cardiff City fans, infact having one is frowned upon, but the biggest glory hunting supports in South Wales go to Liverpool then Man Utd and then Leeds.

Up here it's not just supporting a "big team", the OF is far more invidious (not sure right use of the word, I'll just claim I'm expanding it's meaning cleverly) than that, it's a pressure put on youngsters all the time and they're made to feel small for not supporting one of the ugly sisters.

"Invidious" is right; "it's" is wrong.

:D

There is no 'big team' for Cardiff City fans, infact having one is frowned upon, but the biggest glory hunting supports in South Wales go to Liverpool then Man Utd and then Leeds.

I thought that, I was just taking the piss out of Swansea fans really. I've met more than one Swansea fan with a Swansea badge tattooed on one arm and a Man Utd badge on the other.