Tactical Question Or Something Of That Nature

Morfin

I just watched the Danish goalkeeper go up in injury time to the Scottish penalty box to assist at a corner. You see this sometimes, my question is why? There are always defenders left behind around the half way line. Wouldnt they typically be better headers of the ball and the goalkeeper should just be the last man back further up?

I just watched the Danish goalkeeper go up in injury time to the Scottish penalty box to assist at a corner. You see this sometimes, my question is why? There are always defenders left behind around the half way line. Wouldnt they typically be better headers of the ball and the goalkeeper should just be the last man back further up?

That's a good question. I think goalkeepers are likely to be better in the air than if they had to control the ball around the centre of the park. At 6 foot 5 with good jumping ability there would be little chance of defenders outjumping him. Also, goalkeepers are generally mad and probably have more potential as strikers than they would as defenders.

It's partly for the surprise factor as he won't have a pre-empted marker. The reason a defender stays back is they're more likely to be able to hustle a counter-attack with a decent bit of marking; whilst if the keeper just stays back there's no marker, lots of free space to get the first few touches right, and a clear one-on-one or possible two-on-one if a second striker is quick out the box. If you've not got a keeper, there's always the chance they'll have a shot from long range, but that relies on some very quick thinking, a great first touch, a fair bit of welly to get it there and good placement.

Perversely, a keeper scrambling back might be more off-putting to a counter-attack.