Boyle And Buchanan

kni

Boyle has not even made the bench and must be wondering whether he made the right decision. This season, Buchanan only came off the bench against Annan in the League Cup. What a difference from the start of the year!

Edited by kni

Boyle has not even made the bench and must be wondering whether he made the right decision. Buchanan only came off the bench against Annan in the League Cup. What a difference from the start of the year!

Added to that, Tuffey has been dropped from the Northern Ireland squad in favour of unattached 42 year old Maik Taylor! He really is at a make or break stage in his career. He needs to tell Butcher that he needs games or is moving on. He could easily go from being a superb young prospect to a jobbing lower league keeper, which is a shame because he is very talented. I still can't understand why he went to ICT - Esson had just had a superb first season and was never going to lose his place unless he went downhill big style.

As for Liam, I liked him at Firhill but I am not surprised he has not featured for Dunfermline - injury robbed him of a good career. Hopefully it comes good for Paddy but it's a long way back from not even being in the squad - he has done it once and hopefully he can do it again!

The irony for us is that, in losing our best players, we have went on to sign better value / realise the value of their replacements - Saturday aside, I think Fox is a better all-round keeper than Tuffey, Doolan has easily replaced Liam and Sinclair could be the steal of the season! Johnny Lindsay looks solid too!

Added to that, Tuffey has been dropped from the Northern Ireland squad in favour of unattached 42 year old Maik Taylor! He really is at a make or break stage in his career. He needs to tell Butcher that he needs games or is moving on. He could easily go from being a superb young prospect to a jobbing lower league keeper, which is a shame because he is very talented. I still can't understand why he went to ICT - Esson had just had a superb first season and was never going to lose his place unless he went downhill big style.

As for Liam, I liked him at Firhill but I am not surprised he has not featured for Dunfermline - injury robbed him of a good career. Hopefully it comes good for Paddy but it's a long way back from not even being in the squad - he has done it once and hopefully he can do it again!

The irony for us is that, in losing our best players, we have went on to sign better value / realise the value of their replacements - Saturday aside, I think Fox is a better all-round keeper than Tuffey, Doolan has easily replaced Liam and Sinclair could be the steal of the season! Johnny Lindsay looks solid too!

the only offer or best offer he got?

the only offer or best offer he got?

He was offered a deal with Thistle and, if he had taken the long-view, would have gotten another season of guarenteed first-team football under his belt, which would perhaps have encouraged some of the supposedly bigger clubs looking at him to take a risk and sign him.

I had noticed that Tuffey had been dropped by Norn Ireland. As you say, he is at a make or break stage in his career. He will probably have move to get regular first-team football. However, if ICT get relegated, Esson could move on. Paddy must have known that he would not be first choice when he signed. He may have to move on too if he can't make the Pars bench.

I don't think Boyle will be bothered with not getting a game. He went to Dunfermline with the full knowledge that he was an understudy to the club captain. He's in effect a utility player, a full back that can also play centreback. In fact he's probably more chance replacing Keddie than getting a regular game at left back.

Dunfermline don't seem to bother too much with finance. Any other club in their circumstances would have Clarke & Buchanan out on loan.

He was offered a deal with Thistle and, if he had taken the long-view, would have gotten another season of guarenteed first-team football under his belt, which would perhaps have encouraged some of the supposedly bigger clubs looking at him to take a risk and sign him.

hilarious. why is it just footballers that aren't allowed to move jobs for more cash and why do fans always know best (after a year)? he clearly felt he'd served his time at thistle, wanted to move to a club in a higher league, maybe looked at thistle and thought this place is falling apart, wanted the signing on fee, fancied trying to prove himself and winning the #1 jersey, thought he'd have a bigger platform for his big move to the english 1st division. this list is endless. i take it your mrs would be happy if you turned down a promotion with more money in favour of staying put on the same dough in the faint hope that you got a bigger money move?

hilarious. why is it just footballers that aren't allowed to move jobs for more cash and why do fans always know best (after a year)? he clearly felt he'd served his time at thistle, wanted to move to a club in a higher league, maybe looked at thistle and thought this place is falling apart, wanted the signing on fee, fancied trying to prove himself and winning the #1 jersey, thought he'd have a bigger platform for his big move to the english 1st division. this list is endless. i take it your mrs would be happy if you turned down a promotion with more money in favour of staying put on the same dough in the faint hope that you got a bigger money move?

Nothing of the sort - I was merely responding to your comment that he might not have had "any other offers", which is patently incorrect as he had a contract offer on the table from Thistle, so he had at least two offers. He may well have made the right move, I am just refuting the point that he had no choice

And to answer your question, it would depend on the circumstances - sometimes it is better to stay and gamble that it will work out for you and sometimes it isn't. I have done this with a job before and it did work out for me, so it's not too radical a concept.

So Boyle takes a bigger wage in the short-term and does not get a place on the bench. Even if he gets the odd game off the bench, how is he going to improve? Careers stagnate very quickly with Tuffey being an obvious example.

If I took a job for a higher wage but ended up sat on my backside all day doing nothing, I would be worried about my long-term career prospects. How can you develop if you not doing your job?

Jim McIntyre was quoted a couple of weeks ago that Buchanan was really unlucky not to be involved from the bench so far, but is losing out due to the U21 rule. Basically saying that if it was purely down to ability he would be on the bench but the SPL rules were counting against him.

Boyle is 24 so he could be affected by that rule too. However, he knew about it when he signed for the Pars.

Boyle, Buchanan and Tuffey, none of them were really that good in the grand scheme of things as shown by the ease with which we replaced them with better players and the fact they ain't getting a look in at their new clubs.

Tuffey probably had the most potential to go further out of those 3 (the other 2 have found their level, ie squad players for SPL no marks) but there are people out there who know a lot more about goalies than me and given the number of teams who sent scouts to watch him it speaks volumes the best gig he was offered was bench warmer in the highlands.

Boyle, Buchanan and Tuffey, none of them were really that good in the grand scheme of things as shown by the ease with which we replaced them with better players and the fact they ain't getting a look in at their new clubs.

Tuffey probably had the most potential to go further out of those 3 (the other 2 have found their level, ie squad players for SPL no marks) but there are people out there who know a lot more about goalies than me and given the number of teams who sent scouts to watch him it speaks volumes the best gig he was offered was bench warmer in the highlands.

Tuffey's Wikipedia entry says that he is 6 foot 1 inch tall. Most goalkeepers in the top English divisions are at least 2 or 3 inches taller, often more. Tuffey would have to be exceptional, like Shay Given, to attract the attention of English clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Boyle will be bothered with not getting a game. He went to Dunfermline with the full knowledge that he was an understudy to the club captain. He's in effect a utility player, a full back that can also play centreback. In fact he's probably more chance replacing Keddie than getting a regular game at left back.

Dunfermline don't seem to bother too much with finance. Any other club in their circumstances would have Clarke & Buchanan out on loan.

had a chat with Liam today in the asda at fort kinnaird, he said he was fighting for a place but a mixture of dungfermlan playing 1 up front and the team being a lot stronger meant it was going to be difficult.

as for Boyle pretty much what you said in the highlighted part, so unless he is injured or is playing really really crap he is going to struggle for a place

Never rely on Wikipedia! If Jonny is under 6 ft, he will struggle to even get a game in the SPL.

he's 5'11, but 6'1 in heels lol. Andy goram was short, but in my eyes he was the best goalie in the world in his hey day. he commanded his box like no one else and was excellent at shot stopping and even crosses. height doesnt really come into it , as long as you are good enough and make up for the loss of one attribute with excellence in another. davie weir makes up for his lack of pace with a good reading of the game. Micah richards makes up for his lack of pace by being able to chop people. sorry i sound like a currant bun in this post!

Edited by fatha bacon

he's 5'11, but 6'1 in heels lol. Andy goram was short, but in my eyes he was the best goalie in the world in his hey day. he commanded his box like no one else and was excellent at shot stopping and even crosses. height doesnt really come into it , as long as you are good enough and make up for the loss of one attribute with excellence in another. davie weir makes up for his lack of pace with a good reading of the game. Micah richards makes up for his lack of pace by being able to chop people. sorry i sound like a currant bun in this post!

Goram always seemed to give the impression that he hated crosses. :thinking:

had a chat with Liam today in the asda at fort kinnaird, he said he was fighting for a place but a mixture of dungfermlan playing 1 up front and the team being a lot stronger meant it was going to be difficult.

as for Boyle pretty much what you said in the highlighted part, so unless he is injured or is playing really really crap he is going to struggle for a place

That may be the case, but Dunfermline had a bid for John Baird rejected on transfer deadline day, which would kind of throw that idea out of the water. Baird is basically the player Buchanan was before he got injured, very similar anyway. They took Buchanan thinking he would win them the 1st Div but have probably realised that the 1st Div is his level & even then, he'll be lucky to be the player he looked like he would be. He certainly won't be getting any fitter or better rotting in bounce games.

Edited by 1 John Lambie