Glasgow Warriors

Jagman1876

Just noticed the Council website has posted a report on this. Dont like the line in part 2 that says 'Their fifteen or so home fixtures in the Pro 12 League, Heineken Cup and Friendlies are currently played at Firhill Stadium (Partick Thistle) but a break clause in that agreement provides the opportunity for relocation for next season onwards.'

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/councillorsandcommittees/submissiondocuments.asp?submissionid=52033

This might be a good point to reflect on the words of our former chairman in April 2009:

Jags chairman Allan Cowan said: "The agreement with the SRU for the Glasgow Warriors allows us to show the bank that we have another guaranteed income for the next five years... The SRU are good tenants. They aren't going to go bust. If we were ground-sharing with another football club we couldn't confidently say that. You couldn't tell where they are going to be in the next year or two."

And now it turns out they have a get out clause and want to exercise it. Amazing how so many bold statements from the former directors have turned out, in time, to fall apart when put to the test. Whatever concerns exist about the current directors (and there's cause for a few), it'll be a good day when the club is freed from the stifling influence of that shower.

If it involves redeveloping Firhill ala knocking down Main Stand to make smaller stand for a wider pitch or looking at building a new stadium somewhere close to Firhill - I believe the other side of Firhill basin had some early planning then I think we need to go for it. Having the rugby finances and association is very, very important and we need to ensure any stadium is used more than 4 hours every 2 weeks or so.

This might be a good point to reflect on the words of our former chairman in April 2009:

And now it turns out they have a get out clause and want to exercise it. Amazing how so many bold statements from the former directors have turned out, in time, to fall apart when put to the test. Whatever concerns exist about the current directors (and there's cause for a few), it'll be a good day when the club is freed from the stifling influence of that shower.

Not taking sides on whatever the previous directors of the club did or didn't do but I think this is a bit OTT. No-one in a negotiating position would enter into such a contract without an escape clause of some kind (on BOTH sides). It's standard practice.

Not taking sides on whatever the previous directors of the club did or didn't do but I think this is a bit OTT. No-one in a negotiating position would enter into such a contract without an escape clause of some kind (on BOTH sides). It's standard practice.

Certainly, Tenant break clauses are commonplace in the current market, but a 5 year deal with a Tenant break option after year 3 is not "guaranteed income for the next five years" -- it's 3 year guaranteed income, with the hope of 5. Not at all the same thing.

Is it just me, or is anyone else hacked off about some of the comments coming out about this? Iain McLauchlan, 'Scottish Rugby's President', said, "I honestly believe with Glasgow that with a stadium that can take five or six thousand, they'll soon fill it. If they win games especially, it will start filling up." Doesn't this tube know the capacity of Firhill? Scotstoun? Are they kidding? What a crap place to watch anything, apart from athletics. Much as I'd be glad to see the back of rugby players ripping up the pitch, we really benefit from their money and it hacks me off that our elected local authority representatives can't do enough to get that money away from Thistle and into their resource? Well, Thistle fans live mostly in Glasgow and they have a vote: maybe we should make our feelings known...