Lichtenstein V Scotland

Col

24 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be for Scotland tonight?

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1-0 against a country with a population of 36,000!!!

Levein is a sad joke

The mighty Italy (A football super power) only beat Faeroes 1-0 (population 50000) and Ireland only beat Andorra 2-0 (Ireland have been much better than us for years) (population 84000) Its ALL perspwctive.

I must say that it is one thing not to underestimate your opponent, or over estimate your own country's prowess. But come on, the population of Lichtenstein is only about 40,000 people, to celebrate a 1-0 victory over a minnow like that(as the BBC commentary team did last night) is surely totally off. To be totally honest we are rotten and do not deserve to qualify. Furthermore, to me its always a sign that a manager or coach is struggling, when they're view of a match is so totally at variance with everyone else's. Not for the first time in this campaign Levein has joined that club frequented by such luminaries as "the bunnet". Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating getting rid of the manager, just asking him to refrain from living in La-la land!

Edited by stillresigned

I must say that it is one thing not to underestimate your opponent, or over estimate your own country's prowess. But come on, the population of Lichtenstein is only about 40,000 people, to celebrate a 1-0 victory over a minnow like that(as the BBC commentary team did last night) is surely totally off. To be totally honest we are rotten and do not deserve to qualify. Furthermore, to me its always a sign that a manager or coach is struggling, when they're view of a match is so totally at variance with everyone else's. Not for the first time in this campaign Levein has joined that club frequented by such luminaries as "the bunnet". Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating getting rid of the manager, just asking him to refrain from living in La-la land!

for me the first half was fine, other than we should have been leading 3-0. Naismith being guilty of some very poor finishing. Thought adam looked on his game.

second have was dire. That was the most disappointing thing for me. Levein refusing to acknowledge this , yet again, was frustrating to say the least.

He seems to see games so differently than the rest of us. Passing in the second half was slow, more often than not, very poor. We were largely ineffective and only in last ten mins did we look to threaten again.

We have to hope the Spanish are not bothered about winning every game. Have to hope they have a deep loathing of the czech's or a loving of the Scots....because I'd give us no chance of getting anything out there, if Spain play anything other than woeful.

Can see Czech's getting draw in their match. Then it all comes down to whether you blame the ref at Hampden against the Czech's or our managers negative tactics.......I know who I'll blame !

for me the first half was fine, other than we should have been leading 3-0. Naismith being guilty of some very poor finishing. Thought adam looked on his game.

This is how I see it, Naismith has never been a good finisher and it frustrates me that we don't have anyone better for Scotland in his position. Both his headers needed to be aimed to the far post to wrong-foot the keeper who would have been moving towards Naismith as the ball was crossed diagonally/from the opposite wing.

Mackail-Smith had a good first half, but his peformance died down a little as the game went on. Thought he could have gone off for Goodwillie and a move to 4-4-2. Bannan was pretty poor and I called his substitution with Forrest coming on, who got tore in but wasn't very effective. Hutton and Mackail-Smith were unlucky to get called offside for two good scoring opportunities, then again one of Naismith's opportunities came from an offside winger.

Not a great performance but in the end it was as comfortable as a 1-0 win could be, with Liechtenstein only creating one decent chance (which should have been dealt with before it became a chance).

which part of it is wrong then please?

Both. We are re-building with a younger, more talented squad weve had in years, previous squads were growing old, so Levein has had to rebuild.Levein has a better record than Walter Smith (Who deserted us HALFWAY through a campaign).

Yes, he has made mistakes, BUT doesnt everyone sometime in their jobs? We learn from it and move on. I dont have this NEGATIVE attitude that we are SHIT and should wallop all these smaller teams.

There is no other manager IMO, who would do any better.

We are on the right track and have got to abandon this parochial attitude that we are better than we are. :)

Both. We are re-building with a younger, more talented squad weve had in years, previous squads were growing old, so Levein has had to rebuild.Levein has a better record than Walter Smith (Who deserted us HALFWAY through a campaign).

Yes, he has made mistakes, BUT doesnt everyone sometime in their jobs? We learn from it and move on. I dont have this NEGATIVE attitude that we are SHIT and should wallop all these smaller teams.

There is no other manager IMO, who would do any better.

We are on the right track and have got to abandon this parochial attitude that we are better than we are. :)

he doesn't though does he :thumbdown:

it does sadden me that the scotland team and me are so negative but thats what we are.

the problem is scottish football in general and until that is sorted the rest is just window dressing

he doesn't though does he :thumbdown:

it does sadden me that the scotland team and me are so negative but thats what we are.

the problem is scottish football in general and until that is sorted the rest is just window dressing

Agree that Scottish football has HUGE problems. Levein can only do what he has in his remit. He can shout from the rooftops about needing change, but his bosses are the ones who need to enforce change. The SPL will, through their blindness and the OF, let it all slide away to nothing, going on track records. :thumbdown: .

Regards Levein learning, I think he has from Prague. He is still very cautious, but we are more positive these days.

Agree that Scottish football has HUGE problems. Levein can only do what he has in his remit. He can shout from the rooftops about needing change, but his bosses are the ones who need to enforce change. The SPL will, through their blindness and the OF, let it all slide away to nothing, going on track records. :thumbdown: .

Regards Levein learning, I think he has from Prague. He is still very cautious, but we are more positive these days.

one up front, positive no

I reckon most neutrals watching the game last night would have said that the result was never really in doubt. For us Scots tho' it was torture. But what's new?

I'm no lover of Levein and I've no idea if that's the strongest side we could have put out but I thought for once tactically we were OK.

Better Scotland managers than Levein have put out teams that have come a cropper against sides we should be beating easily. Results against Poland ('65) Zaire, Iran, New Zealand, Costa Rica spring to mind.

If Levein's job was relatively safe before, then last night's result and any defeat in single figures on Tuesday won't make his position any less secure.

I don't think Levein should go, for the simple reason that I cannot think of any available manager who'd do a much better job. I think we are deluding ourselves if we think we're making great strides forward: as far as I'm convened Scottish football is on an inexorable decline and unless their is root and branch reform we're unlikely to get anywhere. Of course that won't stop me watching the game and hoping for a miracle. aia'm just praying for Spain to have an off day, but to be truthful I fear that is nothing but a pipe dream.