Just In

thistle4tw

Good analysis Will, pretty much how i saw it. Dargo offers us something different as well as his experience in directing Elliot.

Don't wish to moan but the officiating was again poor, for instances 1. Livi goal came from a soft free kick in the third minute of added time when there were no stoppages in the half 2. Allowing the Livi 'wall' at 7 yards on more than one occasion 3. Awarding a bye-kick when the Livi defender put it out for a corner.

Spot on! . he may be a pensioner but today he looked like a first class striker for a first division side. Bet he'll grab a few himself when he's at full fitness. I was on my feet when he chipped that peach that was so close to going in. for me Elliot isn't good enough would have played doolan or erskine over him. Btw I know he's young but I think McNamara needs to leave him out 4 a bit

Edited by thistle4tw

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good analysis Will, pretty much how i saw it. Dargo offers us something different as well as his experience in directing Elliot.

Don't wish to moan but the officiating was again poor, for instances 1. Livi goal came from a soft free kick in the third minute of added time when there were no stoppages in the half 2. Allowing the Livi 'wall' at 7 yards on more than one occasion 3. Awarding a bye-kick when the Livi defender put it out for a corner.

And he failed to book the assistant on the Jackie Husband Stand side for obstruction in the first half. I have never seen a linesman who ran the line on the pitch before :unknw:

Considering the multifarious humiliations that have been visited on us by those West Lothian corporate pr(cks over the years, I'll take every win as a joy. Not enough 'Meadowbank, venk, venk, venk' today for my liking. Just as an aside, in hospitality and it was great - both before he game and after. Not a prawn sandwich to be seen either! If you fancy it get along there - Robert Reid and Maxy are worth the money on their own (and the food's excellent too)

True but had bugger all to do fortunately though

That's exactly why it worried me. There was a situation in the first half when a ball was played through for the livi forward to chase, the ball would easily have reached Fox in the penalty area way, way, before the Meadowbank forward got anywhere near it but Fox nevertheless came charging out of his area to miscue a clearance out of the park when he could simply have stood his ground and picked the ball up unchallenged. A sure sign of lack of confidence :thumbdown:

That's exactly why it worried me. There was a situation in the first half when a ball was played through for the livi forward to chase, the ball would easily have reached Fox in the penalty area way, way, before the Meadowbank forward got anywhere near it but Fox nevertheless came charging out of his area to miscue a clearance out of the park when he could simply have stood his ground and picked the ball up unchallenged. A sure sign of lack of confidence :thumbdown:

Meadowbank? I call them by their original name, Ferranti.

• Members

Really??? With wind and water on the park sometimes holding the ball up and other times allowing it to skid through. Making absolutely certain the ball's out of harm's way would be first in my thoughts too and that makes me feel very confident. You cant score from row Z!

And he failed to book the assistant on the Jackie Husband Stand side for obstruction in the first half. I have never seen a linesman who ran the line on the pitch before :unknw:

That's not too uncommon at lower level football when conditions are poor. no excuse tho' for him not anticipating getting in the road.

Think a neutral today would have said that was a most comfortable one goal win. I don't believe we were in much danger of losing a second goal but then again we played very well at Almondvale and lost.

Thought the midfield diamond was excellent (four guys who knew what they were doing). I guess Cairney was kinda playing the role Jackie had designated for Erskine in his 4-3-3 plans months ago. Perhaps when called on again Cairney can drop into Hutton's position and Erskine (or someone else) play behind the strikers?

I realise this'll go down as yet another game when a striker didn't score but I thought both Elliot & Dargo (especially the latter) played in the midfield very well. I don't tho' remember any occasion when Elliot or Dargo wasted goal scoring chances.

All in a good performance especially in the first half with only really the continual question about lacking a sufficient cutting edge still not resolved.

Meadowbank? I call them by their original name, Ferranti.

:) I was working my way back towards Ferranti but my rant ran out of steam. I'm old enough to have seen all three incarnations of franchise united. Was it 1974 we played Ferranti Thistle in the cup? Game was played on a Sunday with an early kick off due to possible power cuts due to strikes. I think we won6-1 or 6-0 :thumbsup: Lifetime ago :fan:

• Members

:) I was working my way back towards Ferranti but my rant ran out of steam. I'm old enough to have seen all three incarnations of franchise united. Was it 1974 we played Ferranti Thistle in the cup? Game was played on a Sunday with an early kick off due to possible power cuts due to strikes. I think we won6-1 or 6-0 :thumbsup: Lifetime ago :fan:

Yep, must have been around about then. Think it was 5-0. It was during the Alan Hansen years, that I'm certain of and remember it was murder getting to the ground from where I stayed in Cranhill at the time owing to crap Sunday bus service in those days.

Yep, must have been around about then. Think it was 5-0. It was during the Alan Hansen years, that I'm certain of and remember it was murder getting to the ground from where I stayed in Cranhill at the time owing to crap Sunday bus service in those days.

Willijag, I'm certain we scored six, we don't score six very often so it kind of sticks in the memory when we do, not sure if we conceded or not. Also sure Joe Craig was playing, if Alan Hansen was playing it must have been early in his Jags career. It was my first ever Sunday game so it was a real novelty. Football was so much more enjoyable back then ;)

Willijag, I'm certain we scored six, we don't score six very often so it kind of sticks in the memory when we do, not sure if we conceded or not. Also sure Joe Craig was playing, if Alan Hansen was playing it must have been early in his Jags career. It was my first ever Sunday game so it was a real novelty. Football was so much more enjoyable back then ;)

Impressive recall. 3rd January, 1974. 6-1. How did they manage to score?

Loving the posts about the Ferranti game. Great day that. I'm sure it was six and AH played. Could be wrong but it was a Sunday, and in those days we didn't feck about with minor league opposition <_< .

Anyway, and more importantly, good result today. We are Thistle.

I believe you are right on it being a Sunday, just so long ago you tend to forget. What I do recall it was a game where the result was never in doubt and I was standing on what is now affectionately known as the bing. Ah the days when we could put 6 past a non league side!

Cairney was immense today, everything (and I mean everything) went through him...had the MOTM sewn up by half time imo. Was also pleasantly surprised at how well suited Paton seems to be to the defensive midfield position. When you think about it, Paton had two options when playing at right back, hump the ball up the channel to noone or cut inside onto a left foot he's hopeless with, but Jackie may well have pulled a masterstroke by putting him in midfield. Did MacNamara not switch from a right back to a defensive midfielder at some point in his career to great effect?

Not read the full thread but does anyone else think Fox was not as commanding in the box as he should be? His indecision was the main reason for Livi getting their goal imo.

Also, our set pieces are dreadful, plenty of work required in this area.

All in all tho, a very satisfying victory and a really pleasing performance :fan:

edited to add: Now read the thread and see others thought the same as me. Was also good to see Paton having a right go after their goal. Don't know who it was directed at but if it wasn't Archie then the question needs asked...why wasn't Archie delivering the bollocking?

Edited by Steven H

I believe you are right on it being a Sunday, just so long ago you tend to forget. What I do recall it was a game where the result was never in doubt and I was standing on what is now affectionately known as the bing. Ah the days when we could put 6 past a non league side!

I was on the bing that day as well!!! It was a Sunday and it was 6-1. Too early for Alan Hansen. He only came in under Auld and McParland was still boss. If I remember right there was about 6000 there. Ah! Happy days. :)

• Members

Just had a quick browse through the history book. As mentioned, 6-1 in 1974. Hansen didn't play that game, but he did make his debut that season. A 4-0 away defeat at Dens in the League Cup in August '73 then a sub appearance for his league debut a couple of months later at Firhill in a 1-0 home win against Dundee again.

Edited to add.... The South Terracing was my favourite spot for many, many years also.