Todays 1St Div Results

Steven H

Seems 3 of the 4 games played today were honkin, 2 0-0 draws and from the reports I heard there was lots of good football played right up until the final 3rd. It's the old anti football thing again, clubs packing the box when defending and nullifying the attacking options.

Anyway, I think there has been an over reaction by some on here in the last few weeks. We aint THAT bad and we will only get better with time, as for Scottish football? It's garbage right across the board. Time to ditch the 'lets not lose' mentality and try to play some good 'mon win this game' fitba.

Aye, other than the Dundee result it was the best outcome for us, but my point is, I can imagine a lot of fans of first division clubs saying similar things to many of us on here. The last 4 games have been brutal to watch due to negative tactics being deployed, seems teams are content to focus more on not losing goals than they are on actually trying to do what is effective the whole point of football...stickin the ball in the feckin goal.

Aye, other than the Dundee result it was the best outcome for us, but my point is, I can imagine a lot of fans of first division clubs saying similar things to many of us on here. The last 4 games have been brutal to watch due to negative tactics being deployed, seems teams are content to focus more on not losing goals than they are on actually trying to do what is effective the whole point of football...stickin the ball in the feckin goal.

from the Scotsman (at Palmerston)

The scoreline just about summed up an afternoon in which both sides’ attacking qualities were absent and, in truth, neither side even deserved a point.

from the Scotsman (at Cappielow)

Morton were for long periods simply not at the races, and were lucky to still be on terms as they again looked unrecognisable from the vibrant outfit who topped the division only a few months ago.

A poor product drives away the customers. The average home gate in the 2nd Division is about 500.

You can buy a season ticket for Man City (seat allocated on match day) which averages about £15 a game. Several EPL clubs are currently offering half-season tickets for around £150 - £17 a game.

We are lucky to get crowds of 2,500!

The Raith and QoS anti football approach / time wasting and our inability to break it down made me question is it worth spending £17 on it. Even the the 4-0 cup tie should have been 10 if we had been clinical. Had started going back everytime I had a free weekend afternoon but definitely going to be more selective on the matches I go to.

I will say though that Jackie is at least trying to get us to play football, doesn't always work and we need a leader and a bit more guile against 11 behind the ball when it comes to the final pass, but at least you can see what they are trying to do. However I suspect every team has us sussed at home now so it will be more of the same.

Been going occassionally to the ice hockey with my youngest recently and have to say enjoying it more than going to Firhill. Whole experience is on the whole better. Thistle could learn from the catering and general organisation of queues etc. There was nearly 3000 there last night and stewards ensured that the queues moved along at all the catering outlets to minimise the waiting time during the 15 minute breaks.

Can see myself watching as many if not more Clan games than Jags games between now and March when the ice hockey ends. Kids just not interested in going to Firhill anymore as they find it too boring. Can't really blame them as I'm struggling too.

A poor product drives away the customers. The average home gate in the 2nd Division is about 500.

You can buy a season ticket for Man City (seat allocated on match day) which averages about £15 a game. Several EPL clubs are currently offering half-season tickets for around £150 - £17 a game.

We are lucky to get crowds of 2,500!

It's pretty much accepted that EPL clubs can afford to keep prices low because of the large TV revenue they recieve. There's obviously not a lot that Thistle, or other 1st div clubs can do about that unfortunately.

However, your point is valid that to me or you or any other punter in the street, fans of those clubs are getting just a wee bit more bang for their 17 bucks.

To be honest I can see our attendances falling to just under the 2000 mark for much of the rest of the season. Like you I dont like Dundee winning but as we have them at home next week and they are on a good run they might bring a decent support and maybe that can get a wee bit of cash to get Cariney or someone tied up on a longer deal and maybe get a couple of better players for some of the duds we really need to get moved on in the summer.

The Raith and QoS anti football approach / time wasting and our inability to break it down made me question is it worth spending £17 on it. Even the the 4-0 cup tie should have been 10 if we had been clinical. Had started going back everytime I had a free weekend afternoon but definitely going to be more selective on the matches I go to.

I will say though that Jackie is at least trying to get us to play football, doesn't always work and we need a leader and a bit more guile against 11 behind the ball when it comes to the final pass, but at least you can see what they are trying to do. However I suspect every team has us sussed at home now so it will be more of the same.

Been going occassionally to the ice hockey with my youngest recently and have to say enjoying it more than going to Firhill. Whole experience is on the whole better. Thistle could learn from the catering and general organisation of queues etc. There was nearly 3000 there last night and stewards ensured that the queues moved along at all the catering outlets to minimise the waiting time during the 15 minute breaks.

Can see myself watching as many if not more Clan games than Jags games between now and March when the ice hockey ends. Kids just not interested in going to Firhill anymore as they find it too boring. Can't really blame them as I'm struggling too.

And I bet you and your kids get a nice clean seat to sit on!! The matchday experience at Firhell is deplorable, from shit covered seats, the abysmal catering, to the product on the park and for that priviledge you have to fork out 17 of your hard earned pounds . Unless a club brings a half decent support (like next week) I reckon you are looking at crowds of around 1500 from now till the end of the season and that aint gonna help anyone

Edited by Lindau

It's pretty much accepted that EPL clubs can afford to keep prices low because of the large TV revenue they recieve. There's obviously not a lot that Thistle, or other 1st div clubs can do about that unfortunately.

However, your point is valid that to me or you or any other punter in the street, fans of those clubs are getting just a wee bit more bang for their 17 bucks.

It is difficult for small clubs to compete for fans/neutrals with the big clubs who, as you point out, have the benefit of television money. There is a lot to be said for the college draft systems in America.

It is difficult for small clubs to compete for fans/neutrals with the big clubs who, as you point out, have the benefit of television money. There is a lot to be said for the college draft systems in America.

Absolutely. The draft system is too fair for this country. It might give the wee teams a chance to improve, and we can't have that now, can we?