Thistle V Rangers 78/79 Season

kearny_jag

Whilst reading about the buns current financial mess and their comical "we don't do walking away" slogan I noticed a few sources mentioning their lowest Ibrox crowd was against Thistle on May 23rd 1979 with a reported attendance of 2000. However this is apparently an estimate and not an official SFL recording.

For the same season Thistle's crowds v Rangers @ Firhill are quoted as 20,641 on Nov 4th 1978 and 18,685 on March 17th 1979. While the other game at Ibrox was 24,500 in August 1978.

Im therefore sceptical about the 2000 crowd and wondered if anyone on here can remember being at that game and the size of the crowd?

The figures are included here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978–79_Rangers_F.C._season

Incidentally we won the Nov 4th game 1-0. There is no scorer listed on the link. Anyone know who scored Thistles goal?

Whilst reading about the buns current financial mess and their comical "we don't do walking away" slogan I noticed a few sources mentioning their lowest Ibrox crowd was against Thistle on May 23rd 1979 with a reported attendance of 2000. However this is apparently an estimate and not an official SFL recording.

For the same season Thistle's crowds v Rangers @ Firhill are quoted as 20,641 on Nov 4th 1978 and 18,685 on March 17th 1979. While the other game at Ibrox was 24,500 in August 1978.

Im therefore sceptical about the 2000 crowd and wondered if anyone on here can remember being at that game and the size of the crowd?

The figures are included here http://en.wikipedia....ers_F.C._season

Incidentally we won the Nov 4th game 1-0. There is no scorer listed on the link. Anyone know who scored Thistles goal?

Bobby Houston.

My guess is that there is a missing "0" in the 2,000 crowd.

Edited to add: Badger also scored in a 1-0 victory over them at Hampden, but neither the goal nor the victory can be found in the record books. But those of us who were there know the truth.

Edited by Jaggernaut

That's correct it was a midweek game and the Jags fans outnumbered the h*ns

The h*ns had played the Tims on the Monday night and lost which meant Celtic won the league

I f they had one they would would have won the league or needed to beat Thistle in which case it would have been packed

Think this was also Doug Somners last game as he was sold to St Mirren around this time

Edited by Paddy Thistle

Yip , I pretty sure I was at a game at the hunnery when there was only about 1800 there.Midweek under floodlight end of season affair which we won.Remember slagging my hunschoolmates the next day about the crowd and result.We always gave them a right good game under Auld in those days, even at Ibrox .Great team and players in the late seventies.

Yip , I pretty sure I was at a game at the hunnery when there was only about 1800 there.Midweek under floodlight end of season affair which we won.Remember slagging my hunschoolmates the next day about the crowd and result.We always gave them a right good game under Auld in those days, even at Ibrox .Great team and players in the late seventies.

I remember being there. it was a ghostly atmosphere and a dreadful game as there was nothing to inspire the players at this huge stadium.

Bobby Houston.

Edited to add: Badger also scored in a 1-0 victory over them at Hampden, but neither the goal nor the victory can be found in the record books. But those of us who were there know the truth.

Haha! Too feckin right sir. Shower of cheats!!

Bobby Houston.

Don't we just, still makes my blood boil, if I ever needed a reason to dislike the H*ns that game provided it!!!

Edited by stillresigned

I think we lost 1-0 that night