Barcelona

Jaggernaut

Mesmerizing sequences of passing last night. Absolutely beautiful to watch. And 7 goals scored, could have been 14, so no reason for complaint there.

And yet, I felt myself becoming bored with their play much of the time. On many occasions there would be two Barca guys standing 5 feet away from each other and they passed it to and from each other repeatedly, even though there was nobody near them. And then it would go sideways or backwards. I do realize that these kinds of passing displays are part of their tactics, as the opposition never gets to know what's going to happen next, or when it's going to happen, but it was boring for long periods, or it seemed long for my limited abilities to stay concentrated!

I'm aware enough to know that me wanting them to "have a right go" especially when they got anywhere near the penalty box is symptomatic of why we watch what we do every week rather than watching top class fitba'. But it was all just a bit too surgical for me.

My name is Jaggernaut, and I'm a football supporter of the dinosaur variety. :blush:

Mesmerizing sequences of passing last night. Absolutely beautiful to watch. And 7 goals scored, could have been 14, so no reason for complaint there.

And yet, I felt myself becoming bored with their play much of the time. On many occasions there would be two Barca guys standing 5 feet away from each other and they passed it to and from each other repeatedly, even though there was nobody near them. My name is Jaggernaut, and I'm a football supporter of the dinosaur variety. :blush:

Surely a lot of that was to do with the one-sidedness of the game. If Leverkusen had been able to compete and hold the score down, maybe score themselves it would have been a more exciting game.

That's right. It was one-sided almost beyond belief.

Jaggernaut -the teams that get a result againsty Barca are those that close them down BUt and its a big BUT you have to have a squad fit enough to chase the ball very quickly -there is only so much passing you can do if you are being squeezed very tight -when you do this it throws Barca off track as they dont adapt well -you let them play and they will hump you !!!!!!!

Also the secret is to put sleeping gas via the vent system before the run out to play :evil:

I agree with everything you say. Great goals, great players, what a team. But I do struggle sometimes with watching the 30 passes that preceed an effort on goals, especially the example you gave of the chuckle brothers to me to you passing routine between 2 players a foot apart.

I know this is in direct contrast to what I said in my post against the kick and rush coaching of kids, and we'll undoubtedly get some snob on saying this is why scottish football is in the state it is bla bla bla because I think it's a bit boring. But I just find a good team who are direct better to watch than a good team who prefer slow building moves with endless possession.

I agree with everything you say. Great goals, great players, what a team. But I do struggle sometimes with watching the 30 passes that preceed an effort on goals, especially the example you gave of the chuckle brothers to me to you passing routine between 2 players a foot apart.

I know this is in direct contrast to what I said in my post against the kick and rush coaching of kids, and we'll undoubtedly get some snob on saying this is why scottish football is in the state it is bla bla bla because I think it's a bit boring. But I just find a good team who are direct better to watch than a good team who prefer slow building moves with endless possession.

I agree with Jaggernaut and yourself, the players are clearly talented but it is pretty dull to watch most of the time. I actually agree with what Levein said in the debate the other day that players should be taught an all round game and be able to adapt between passing games and long-ball games depending on the managers ideas/plans. My disagreement with him was that he used this to argue against Pressley's very good point that larger leagues would allow managers to send their teams out with more freedom and play football that is better technically.

Can't personally say I find Barca the least bit boring. They are the great team of our era, and maybe, being so technically great, so consistently = predictable; predictable = boring.

I just love watching them and can't get enough of them, especially when they're busy pumping Franco's finest.

JJ (above) clearly knows a lot about them, with his La Liga connection, and makes some valid points; maybe therein lies the reason why they're so far behind Real in the league. :thinking:

The best thing about their play is that they always have players in the correct positions to take a pass from the player with the ball. If you watch closely there is always 4 or 5 players making a move to give the ball player an option and from a tactical point of view thats exactly what I want to see from a football team.

Still think the best European league for comparison to Scotland is the Dutch league. They play a similar style of football to us but the players are miles ahead of ours in the technical and tactical departments, its no coincidence that Mark Wotte was brought in to revolutionise the youth setups in Scotland given his experience in Holland. We improve the technical ability and tactical awareness of our players and the leagues will get better.

Far too many "old school" coaches are win at all costs and not even interested in giving some for of entertainment for the fans. Pressley is right , a larger league should encourage a more adventurous style fo football that doesnt rely on kick and rush and may allow teams to develop young players. Although given my point about certain coaches still being involved in the game hell knows if that would ever change until they retire or move on.

Anyway Barca are the best pure football team in world football at the moment, joy to watch them in full flow

Ordinarily, I'll read crime or spy novels in my spare time as they are exciting and draw me in.

Every now and then, however, I'll have a read at an Anton Chekhov short story and appreciate the artistry in his writing. I'm not as enthralled and I don't feel compelled to keep turning the pages, but I can appreciate the work of a master in his field.

Thistle are my crime novel. Barcelona are my Chekhov.