Metal's Big 4

B.C.G. JAG

My mate got me ticket for this - a live stream of the big bill sharing extravanganza of Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Anthrax - being streamed to that fantastic venue, Cineworld!?! Not sure how fantastic this going to be, seated in cinema, especially if they restrict booze. Anyone else going to this?

My mate got me ticket for this - a live stream of the big bill sharing extravanganza of Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Anthrax - being streamed to that fantastic venue, Cineworld!?! Not sure how fantastic this going to be, seated in cinema, especially if they restrict booze. Anyone else going to this?

Cineworld...what one is that? Anymore info...dates/prices. Not sure if I could sit on my 'arris for that length of time and they would really need to turn the volume up to full blast

Seen them all in their heyday when they were exciting.

As did I.

Cineworld...what one is that? Anymore info...dates/prices. Not sure if I could sit on my 'arris for that length of time and they would really need to turn the volume up to full blast

Tuesday night, the really tall cinema on Renfrew St, not sure what time, £16.

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

Big 4 ???? Really ????

Really. These bands make utter megabucks. Just because Radio 1 don't play em doesn't mean they aren't disgustingly successful.

Black Sabbath, ACDC, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest. (and that's not counting Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple)

I'm sure they do, but they can't be the Big 4. Surely??? I might, under duress, concede Metallica, but the rest...??

Think the "Big 4" thing was coined a few years ago in terms of thrash metal.

Edited by NZ Jag

I can't keep up with the soap opera that is 'who is the current Anthrax singer?.

Me neither. I was a bit surprised to Joey Belladonna back in there. All I'm going to say is, the years haven't been kind. The other thing that surprised me was, given that I haven't bought an Anthrax album since 1988's 'State Of Euphoria' I still knew pretty much the entire set. What have they been doing for the last 2 decades years?

Me neither. I was a bit surprised to Joey Belladonna back in there. All I'm going to say is, the years haven't been kind. The other thing that surprised me was, given that I haven't bought an Anthrax album since 1988's 'State Of Euphoria' I still knew pretty much the entire set. What have they been doing for the last 2 decades years?

Oooh, I have to say, I was quite fond of the John Bush stuff, or Anthraz v3.0-v3.1. However, - I cannot see Belladonna going near anything he personally wasn't involved in, is he not a bit of a diva.

I think they've had slipknot singers, random dudes and both Bush and Belladonna in 2 separate spurts and in some sort of two-headed Greek monster behemoth.

This may all be wrong, as I said, I cannot follow it.

The biggest argument I have ever had with my brother was over a State of Euphoria t-shirt, I turned it into a handbag, it was his. oops

was it any good?

ive seen them all but Slayer who I don't particularly like

as for Anthrax their early belladona stuff is easily the best recorded stuff but bush was in them for a long time, and the 'wev've come for u all album is superb' and when i've seen them live bush was much better than belladona.

as for the slipknot thing, after belladona came back then left again they got a brand new unheard of singer but just as they were due to tor he left, then bush was meant to be back but chucked it so belladona is doing theses dates.

while the were gong through this mess of singers they were trying to do a new album so corey taylor came in and did vocals but was never actually part of the band was meant to be for the new guy, as far as i know there is no plans to release new stuff

Edited by fatnallyjag

was it any good?

ive seen them all but Slayer who I don't particularly like

as for Anthrax their early belladona stuff is easily the best recorded stuff but bush was in them for a long time, and the 'wev've come for u all album is superb' and when i've seen them live bush was much better than belladona.

as for the slipknot thing, after belladona came back then left again they got a brand new unheard of singer but just as they were due to tor he left, then bush was meant to be back but chucked it so belladona is doing theses dates.

while the were gong through this mess of singers they were trying to do a new album so corey taylor came in and did vocals but was never actually part of the band was meant to be for the new guy, as far as i know there is no plans to release new stuff

My God! That's a mess! Belladonna did say to the crowd "It's the first time I've been here", which came across as "The rest of the band have been here before". Another line-up clanger fest is Megadeth where I think there's been a bit of personnel change for every album. So I was suitably surprised to Dave Ellefson back on bass, who I thought had left the band 20 years ago. Mustaine did introduce him as the man "right by my side" which sorta suggests everyone's mates again.

Whilst I'm talking about Megadeth, I've got to say how utterly crud they were, or more accurately, Mustaine was. I'm not sure if he was either wasted or couldn't hear his vocals but he put on a very weird voice for the 'clean' bits of singing - a sort of whiney little girl - so great songs like Darkest Hour were completely destroyed.

Anthrax were Anthrax, just looking a bit too old to be dressing a skate kids now (although they did a nice 'Heaven & Hell' tribute), whilst Slayer still continue to age with distinction. They look better now, all chubby and grizzled, it suits their sound. Tom Araya suits his grey beard, Hanneman is impressively repugnant now, and Kerry King is just bonkers. They covered a lot of the best of their stuff - South of Heaven, Angel of Death, Manadatory Suicide, World Painted Blood, so it was pretty acceptable for those who aren't that into them.

Metallica were amazing as expected and played a lot of old stuff (Seek And Destroy, For Whom The Bell Tollss, Hit The Lights, Master Of Puppets) and weirdly, I'm sure they played about half of '...And Justice For All'.

Then there was the crowd pleaser of "Am I Evil?" where all the bands came out to play together, although I could only see Pete Sandoval from Slayer joining in (though Araya suddenly appeared on stage at the end).

Bit weird watching in a cinema. I took some beers in and nobody bothered us but it was a bit of a tame affair. People clapped their favourite songs but I couldn't really see why when the acts can't hear you. Maybe it was an attempt to create some sort of atmosphere. Apparently there was a bit of a rammy in Leicster Square and somewhere in Illinois but how they managed to get things going I can't say. Not sure if I would do it again, but at least it was a way of seeing the bands. When I was younger I'd be down the front going mental and not see much. Nowadays, I'm at the back with a beer, watching it on a big screen - so not that different really.