Glasgow Warriors Leave Firhill

sigesige00

This Saturday is Glasgow Warrior's last game at Firhill. They will play at Scotstoun from the next season.

Is that a financial damage for us?

This has been well trailed for months. The financial impact is at least £100k

Since the original question has already been answered, might as well use this thread instead of starting a new one.

As sigesige has already said, saturday night will be the last time we play a home game at Firhill. With that in mind, I would like to thank you all for having us over the last 5 seasons, and wish you luck for the future.

Firhill has been a great home for us, no doubt helped since our stay here has coincided with our most successful period on the park, with it having seen great victories over the likes of Biarritz, Wasps and Bath (and that's just the european games), and hopefully come FT on saturday it will have witnessed our second league semi-final in 3 seasons. Hopefully we will be equally successful playing at Scotstoun, but I will still take some great memories of Firhill.

Saturday is sure to be a strange, and no doubt emotional, game - last game at Firhill, a win and we are in the semi-finals, but also the last home game (barring some big upsets) for 9 players, and for 2 of our coaches. On top of that, we have also sold more advanced tickets than for any other league match (except for Edinburgh), with Main Stand tickets having been on sale since last week :)

Add to that, I will be spending most of the day at our new home watching the Glasgow 7's - the ground looks fantastic for that event, shame it's nothing like how it will look for Glasgow games...

Best of luck to you guys, hope to see Thistle playing top flight football again soon, and hopefully still playing at a decent Firhill. Glasgow needs a strong 3rd 2nd team!

Have to say Scotstoun is looking quite nice at the moment with the throw up stands "behind the goals" for the big 7s gathering at the weekend even if it is a wee bit lego-land. If it weren't for the needs re the running track during the year it would make a very nice stadium for a small but aspiring Glasgow team without a stadium to call their own making an ambitious foray into the SPL... here's looking at you RFC 2012...

Well, that was a great game to leave with. 5,300 in (both JHS and Main Stands looked relatively full), a 24-3 win and the place was absolutely rocking!! :D

Now, onwards to Dublin and a semi-final.

As I say, have some great memories of Firhill, and tonight will certainly be added to them. Thanks a lot for having us, it's been a great home to us over the years. Sad to leave the place really...

Well, that was a great game to leave with. 5,300 in (both JHS and Main Stands looked relatively full), a 24-3 win and the place was absolutely rocking!! :D

As I say, have some great memories of Firhill, and tonight will certainly be added to them. Thanks a lot for having us, it's been a great home to us over the years. Sad to leave the place really...

Thanks for that! Dont worry, you arent moving far, you will still be able to hear Jags fans roaring in all our goals next season :innocent2:

Do you not worry Scotstoun wont be big enough? Isn't the capacity only 5000 - what will happen when you play Edinburgh?

Good to see Warriors doing well though! :)!

Do you not worry Scotstoun wont be big enough? Isn't the capacity only 5000 - what will happen when you play Edinburgh?

Maybe they will put the temporary stands up like they have for the Rugby 7s. I went past Scotstoun on the train the other day and I have to say, it did look impressive with the two stands behind the goals.

Maybe they will put the temporary stands up like they have for the Rugby 7s. I went past Scotstoun on the train the other day and I have to say, it did look impressive with the two stands behind the goals.

yeah looking at pics tho the stands are far from the pitch because of the running track. Good luck to them tho - hopefully there crowds wont dip because Scotstoun isn't as handy for folk! I am a bit sad I really liked going to see Warriors on Friday nights - wont be making the trek to Scotstoun tho!

yeah looking at pics tho the stands are far from the pitch because of the running track. Good luck to them tho - hopefully there crowds wont dip because Scotstoun isn't as handy for folk! I am a bit sad I really liked going to see Warriors on Friday nights - wont be making the trek to Scotstoun tho!

Scotstoun is actually a good bit closer to me but I am not all that interested in wugby, so I doubt I will attend.

As for the crowds dipping, I am not sure that they will. Part of the reasoning behind relocating the Warriors to Scotstoun could be that it moves them to a more traditionally rugby supporting part of town, i.e the Hyndland and Jordanhill areas. From a Thistle perspective one thing is for sure - we are going to miss the rent money!

Scotstoun isn't much harder to get to, though. A train to Scotstounhill and a five/ten minute walk is all that's needed. It takes longer to get to Firhill from the city centre/Subway station and the trains are every fifteen minutes.

For games against Edinburgh I'm sure Scotstoun would be able to hire out another temporary stand if they needed to and would make a profit from it.

I can only echo that it looks excellent with the stands up. It looked amazing with the floodlights on last night too.

As for the crowds dipping, I am not sure that they will. Part of the reasoning behind relocating the Warriors to Scotstoun could be that it moves them to a more traditionally rugby supporting part of town, i.e the Hyndland and Jordanhill areas. From a Thistle perspective one thing is for sure - we are going to miss the rent money!

Do you I never actually though of that! Actually makes sense when you put it like that . .

Scotstoun isn't much harder to get to, though. A train to Scotstounhill and a five/ten minute walk is all that's needed. It takes longer to get to Firhill from the city centre/Subway station and the trains are every fifteen minutes.

Trains are actually every half hour after 7 if going back into town or they have a later KO. The walk is also more 15-20 minutes. There is no decent bars near by unless you want to drink in the likes of Mcnabbs with all the scotstoun locals - for that point though you could argue who wants to drink in Maryhill on a Friday night - at least though you are handy for the west end with plenty of decent bars. Also the parking at scotstoun is a nightmare.

For bigger games yeah getting a temporary stand is an option - would cost a fair bit though - if we take Saturdays game as an example - for the sake of 300 fans - would it be worth having a temporary stand? I imagine any money lost on the gate though is probably still lower than there rent to us.

I am happy for Warriors just wonder if it will work out and hope it does not go t*ts up!

Trains are actually every half hour after 7 if going back into town or they have a later KO. The walk is also more 15-20 minutes. There is no decent bars near by unless you want to drink in the likes of Mcnabbs with all the scotstoun locals - for that point though you could argue who wants to drink in Maryhill on a Friday night - at least though you are handy for the west end with plenty of decent bars. Also the parking at scotstoun is a nightmare.

For bigger games yeah getting a temporary stand is an option - would cost a fair bit though - if we take Saturdays game as an example - for the sake of 300 fans - would it be worth having a temporary stand? I imagine any money lost on the gate though is probably still lower than there rent to us.

I am happy for Warriors just wonder if it will work out and hope it does not go t*ts up!

Every half an hour after seven too, yes, but I don't know the time that rugby is played. I assumed it could be playing in the afternoon too. If it takes you fifteen/twenty minutes to walk there you must be taking the wrong route or taking a step back for every two steps forward.

I concede the pub point, but it's plausible to get off at Jordanhill and walk from there. There are a few more pubs there.

They've recently opened up even more parking spaces towards the 5-a-side football pitches and if they need to they'll be able to use the red ash at Victoria Park.

Every half an hour after seven too, yes, but I don't know the time that rugby is played. I assumed it could be playing in the afternoon too. If it takes you fifteen/twenty minutes to walk there you must be taking the wrong route or taking a step back for every two steps forward.

I concede the pub point, but it's plausible to get off at Jordanhill and walk from there. There are a few more pubs there.

They've recently opened up even more parking spaces towards the 5-a-side football pitches and if they need to they'll be able to use the red ash at Victoria Park.

Fair enough as I said just hope it works out for them! :)

Went by Scotstoun yesterday and the streets were packed with motors. It doesn't have the infrastructure to have a busy sports stadium located there.

Lived most of my younger life only a few blocks away from what was then Scotstoun Showgrounds and there's no possible way that the immediate area could absorb traffic you'd associate with anything like 5000 visitors. Whenever in the past the subject of the Jags leaving Firhill for pastures new arises I always discount the possibility of us moving here.

Went by Scotstoun yesterday and the streets were packed with motors. It doesn't have the infrastructure to have a busy sports stadium located there.

The streets are always packed on Danes Drive by those who live there. There's a reasonable sized car park in the complex and the option of Victoria Park's red ash pitches. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they used the sand 11-a-side pitch for parking too.

The streets are busy but there are still places to park within a five minute walk from the stadium.

I drive down there every day, yesterday was way busier than usual and cars were jam packed on the road all the way up to the Kingsway flats.

At 6am they had security on the complex gates stopping ordinary punters from parking inside. So it appears only executive fans will get into the car parks. They have residents only parking in the side streets now so they put security on the street entrances and only let in those with residents permits.

Add in the fact that the leisure centre still has to function while games are ongoing and it's a logistical nightmare.

I can only echo that it looks excellent with the stands up. It looked amazing with the floodlights on last night too.

Have to agree, watching some of it on Sky last night and have to say the old showground looked very impressive

Can put in temporary stands (not the same ones for the 7's - capacity of around 8,000 I believe) 4 times next season - and if we can prove to the locals we aren't going to be a nuisance then we could be allowed that more the year after.

5,000 is probably about right for us right now - if you take out the Edinburgh game this season, we have been averaging just over 4,000 - and only broke the 5,000 3 times. So at least we will be playing in a stadium that is pretty much the right size for us right now. Where a slight worry comes in is that it doesn't leave much room for growth - so hopefully we can win the residents over sooner rather than later!

But if we could have the same set-up as this weekend, we have a ground big enough to host a Heineken Cup quarter final, and it's not far off being big enough for a Pro 12 final.

As for not being able to cope with crowds of 5,000 - there was 13,500 there on saturday, and it coped fine (though the free buses into the city centre helped with that). Most supporters are aware there isn't much parking nearby, and have looked into public transport - there are good bus and train links, so not bringing the car should be relatively simple! (As far as I know, the club are also in talks about finding a car park nearby)

The car park at the ground will probably be reserved for club employee's and leisure centre users - but people wouldn't have been allowed in this weekend as the 7's took over the entire complex, with the car park being used for bars, food outlets ect.