Mcnamara's End Of Season Interview

kni

Guest fredthecheesecloth

http://www.ptfc.co.u...view_-_part_one

A good summation of where we are. However, he does not comment on several players who are out of contract, e.g. Robertson, McAleer, McGrotty, Stevenson and Ketterer.

What is the fascination with McAleer, McGrotty, Stevenson, Ketterer. Generally can't see any reason why people consider them to be so highly rated.

What is the fascination with McAleer, McGrotty, Stevenson, Ketterer. Generally can't see any reason why people consider them to be so highly rated.

There is no fascination with them but it would be useful to know if they are leaving to free up cash for new players. The manager needs to strengthen his squad if we are to challenge for promotion next season.

Interesting read and agree with him on most of it. Glad he mentions O'Donnel - he is only 19 and some of the abuse he got at Hamilton was outrageous - even a few guys near us who reckon we keep O'Donnel because Jackie has a celtic connection and so does O'Donnel! But anyways nice to see we have offered welsh a cotnract because he has been good for us so far.

Looking forward to the rest of the interviews :).

Interesting read and agree with him on most of it. Glad he mentions O'Donnel - he is only 19 and some of the abuse he got at Hamilton was outrageous - even a few guys near us who reckon we keep O'Donnel because Jackie has a celtic connection and so does O'Donnel! But anyways nice to see we have offered welsh a cotnract because he has been good for us so far.

Looking forward to the rest of the interviews :).

Agreed. There was a guy sitting near me on Saturday who as well as having the worst patter that I've ever heard really seemed to have it in for O'Donnell; moaning every time he touched the ball and even when he didn't. When told by someone to give him a chance and that he was only a young lad, he insisted that he wasn't young but was, in fact, 24 or 25. Numpty.

He's a player with some rough edges (i.e. his crossing) but who clearly has the potential to be an excellent player.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

I am always interested to see where people draw the line between criticism and abuse.

Fair play the guy is 19, but some of his cross balls at Morton/Dundee particularly and at Hamilton as well were nothing short of horrendous. Its great he is getting into these positions and I will be supporting him but I have no issue with people criticising him. What was this abuse? Should maybe ask guys like Grant Murray/Dick Campbell/Brian Hamilton/Darren Brady what abuse looks like. Anything uttered to O'Donnell would pale into complete insignificance.

For avoidance of doubt here, I like the young man as a player, and I am pleased he has been signed up. Good luck to him in the future.

Agreed. There was a guy sitting near me on Saturday who as well as having the worst patter that I've ever heard really seemed to have it in for O'Donnell; moaning every time he touched the ball and even when he didn't. When told by someone to give him a chance and that he was only a young lad, he insisted that he wasn't young but was, in fact, 24 or 25. Numpty.

He's a player with some rough edges (i.e. his crossing) but who clearly has the potential to be an excellent player.

His crossing was pretty good when he first came and was used as an out an out winger. He seemed to lose that with his form slump and even though he's come back to some form his crossing hasn't come back. Hopefully he can work on it pre-season and be a better player next time we see him.

Agreed. There was a guy sitting near me on Saturday who as well as having the worst patter that I've ever heard really seemed to have it in for O'Donnell; moaning every time he touched the ball and even when he didn't. When told by someone to give him a chance and that he was only a young lad, he insisted that he wasn't young but was, in fact, 24 or 25. Numpty. He's a player with some rough edges (i.e. his crossing) but who clearly has the potential to be an excellent player.
I know! I think alot of people don't realise as Jackie as said in the article - he has brought down the age of our squad and for alot of these guys it may well have been there first season playing 1st team football.
I am always interested to see where people draw the line between criticism and abuse. Fair play the guy is 19, but some of his cross balls at Morton/Dundee particularly and at Hamilton as well were nothing short of horrendous. Its great he is getting into these positions and I will be supporting him but I have no issue with people criticising him. What was this abuse? Should maybe ask guys like Grant Murray/Dick Campbell/Brian Hamilton/Darren Brady what abuse looks like. Anything uttered to O'Donnell would pale into complete insignificance. For avoidance of doubt here, I like the young man as a player, and I am pleased he has been signed up. Good luck to him in the future.
Abuse - going on and on about cr*ap he is etc then saying things like "aw Jackie raves about him but I reckon it is only cos he played for celtic and so did jackie he is cr*p" Conspiracy theories? I thought we left the to the ugly sisters? They quietened down after we equalised but started back up after the 2nd half! Maybe not abuse but annoying! But I suppose easy to get to away games bring fans who don't normally go and are utter numpties! Rant over! :) Edited by little_miss_jag

Guest fredthecheesecloth

I know! I think alot of people don't realise as Jackie as said in the article - he has brought down the age of our squad and for alot of these guys it may well have been there first season playing 1st team football.

Abuse - going on and on about cr*ap he is etc then saying things like "aw Jackie raves about him but I reckon it is only cos he played for celtic and so did jackie he is cr*p" Conspiracy theories? I thought we left the to the ugly sisters? They quietened down after we equalised but started back up after the 2nd half! Maybe not abuse but annoying! But I suppose easy to get to away games bring fans who don't normally go and are utter numpties! Rant over! :)

That isn't abuse, its people's opinions, no matter how warped/wrong they are. If I was seeing O'Donnell for the first time I wouldn't have been impressed.

I am always interested to see where people draw the line between criticism and abuse.

Fair play the guy is 19, but some of his cross balls at Morton/Dundee particularly and at Hamilton as well were nothing short of horrendous. Its great he is getting into these positions and I will be supporting him but I have no issue with people criticising him. What was this abuse? Should maybe ask guys like Grant Murray/Dick Campbell/Brian Hamilton/Darren Brady what abuse looks like. Anything uttered to O'Donnell would pale into complete insignificance.

For avoidance of doubt here, I like the young man as a player, and I am pleased he has been signed up. Good luck to him in the future.

I agree. I wasn't saying the guy I mentioned was giving 'abuse', he was just very moany and incredibly annoying (I realise the irony in me moaning about his moaning). It was his nonsense opinions that were the problem.

I know! I think alot of people don't realise as Jackie as said in the article - he has brought down the age of our squad and for alot of these guys it may well have been there first season playing 1st team football. Abuse - going on and on about cr*ap he is etc then saying things like "aw Jackie raves about him but I reckon it is only cos he played for celtic and so did jackie he is cr*p" Conspiracy theories? I thought we left the to the ugly sisters? They quietened down after we equalised but started back up after the 2nd half! Maybe not abuse but annoying! But I suppose easy to get to away games bring fans who don't normally go and are utter numpties! Rant over! :)

What a load of tosh, especially the bit in bold. Typical, holier than thou response from some Thistle fans.

The nonsense about him only playing because he and Jackie played for Celtic must be your own conspiracy because it's the first time I've heard it on here and I've certainly never heard it at a game.

but the way he crapped out of a tackle just before he was subbed was a red rag to a bull.
Aye breaking his leg/injurying himself in the process that would have been good. :)
What a load of tosh, especially the bit in bold. Typical, holier than thou response from some Thistle fans. The nonsense about him only playing because he and Jackie played for Celtic must be your own conspiracy because it's the first time I've heard it on here and I've certainly never heard it at a game.
Oh it's not, get over yourself - I was only pointing out that O'Donnel has been good not brilliant and if you have only seen him at a handful of games you might not see that!

Do you not think I have better things to do than make up wee stories about what Thistle fans said at the game? I also don't appriciate you calling me a liar!

Edited by little_miss_jag

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Aye breaking his leg/injurying himself in the process that would have been good. :) Oh it's not, get over yourself - I was only pointing out that O'Donnel has been good not brilliant and if you have only seen him at a handful of games you might not see that!

Do you not think I have better things to do than make up wee stories about what Thistle fans said at the game? I also don't appriciate you calling me a liar!

For avoidance of doubt, I'm a better fan than you.

I'd argue O'Donnell's crossing this season has been around the same level as Sinclair's overall - sometimes excellent and sometimes absolutely shite. It's not a terrible thing to have 2 wing backs who regularly beat their man and get to the byline to put a cross in even if half of them aren't great considering it wasn't too long ago the criticism of Paton was that he wouldn't take on his man often enough and his crosses from deep were pointless. With O'Donnell only 19 and Sinclair at a guess 20 or 21 it's always something they can work on during the summer and it'll help having McGuigan to aim for in the box rather than Elliot/Stewart/Whoever else played alongside Doolan before he signed.

On the subject of the abuse O'Donnell gets Hamilton was particularly bad for it. When he didn't go in for that 50/50 someone within earshot wished he went in for the challenge and injured himself so Jackie wouldn't play him next season which I thought was a tad harsh. He even got pelters for a cross that was made by McGuigan on one occasion. :lol: Since I was sat next to little_miss_jag I can also confirm there was someone banging on about how he only plays every week because he used to play for Celtic which wasn't so much abuse as just a mental case who must've missed the fact Naismith, Cole and Hutton of Rangers have played under Jackie this season

Oh it's not, get over yourself - I was only pointing out that O'Donnel has been good not brilliant and if you have only seen him at a handful of games you might not see that!

Your post seemed to suggest that the amount of games one attends determines whether or not they are "numpties". I perhaps misinterpreted the point about him playing simply because he used to play for Celtic; I thought you were claiming this sort of comment was commonplace at games so apologies for that.

How has he been good? I'm actually interested to hear people's views on his current ability, not his potential. He's athletic, I'll give him that, but he is currently unable to do some of the essential things required of a wing-back such as defend and cross the ball.

What a load of tosh, especially the bit in bold. Typical, holier than thou response from some Thistle fans.

The nonsense about him only playing because he and Jackie played for Celtic must be your own conspiracy because it's the first time I've heard it on here and I've certainly never heard it at a game.

You have super-hearing then? You can hear what everyone at the game is saying? Thought not so how come you can call someone liar (which is basically what you're doing) just because you didn't hear it?

I know we don't have that big a support but come one ....

You have super-hearing then? You can hear what everyone at the game is saying? Thought not so how come you can call someone liar (which is basically what you're doing) just because you didn't hear it?

I know we don't have that big a support but come one ....

Take it you're incapable of reading? If not, I refer you to my last post but feel free to continue to feel offended by comments that aren't directed at you.

First few comments by Mr Cheesecloth were accurate. I really like O'Donnell but freely admit his percentage crossball is horrendous. He's certainly not anywhere like subject to the widespread abuse other recent players & a manager received.

Also I don't think at the moment he's anywhere committed enough in the tackle for a wingback. He doesn't tho' hide in a game and after a series of poor crosses or passes he's always making himself available to try again. So that in a different way shows his commitment.

Back to crossing in general and I think only Bannigan would've got pass marks for accuracy in recent months. Paton, Sinclair, Erskine & Cairney are the only others I can think of that get themselves out wide and I can't remember too many pinpoint balls from them either.

He doesn't tho' hide in a game and after a series of poor crosses or passes he's always making himself available to try again. So that in a different way shows his commitment.

Yes, I'll also grant him that.

I do agree with the suggestion that we depend on him excessively during games as an attacking outlet, perhaps too much for a player as young and inexperienced as he is. I also agree that his performances could have been affected by the fact that we have no real alternative to play there (apart from Paton but that's a whole other debate).

I'm willing to back Jackie's judgement on him but I do suspect that if Muirhead signs as expected, and is as versatile as it has been suggested, O'Donnell could find himself on the fringes before too long.

I'd argue O'Donnell's crossing this season has been around the same level as Sinclair's overall - sometimes excellent and sometimes absolutely shite. It's not a terrible thing to have 2 wing backs who regularly beat their man and get to the byline to put a cross in even if half of them aren't great considering it wasn't too long ago the criticism of Paton was that he wouldn't take on his man often enough and his crosses from deep were pointless. With O'Donnell only 19 and Sinclair at a guess 20 or 21 it's always something they can work on during the summer and it'll help having McGuigan to aim for in the box rather than Elliot/Stewart/Whoever else played alongside Doolan before he signed.

That's a fair point although I reckon O'Donnell's ratio of rotten crosses is a good bit higher than Sinclair's who is, by no means, an excellent crosser. Hopefully Sinclair in particular can work on some sort of technique rather than just wellying the ball as hard as he can.

That's a fair point although I reckon O'Donnell's ratio of rotten crosses is a good bit higher than Sinclair's who is, by no means, an excellent crosser. Hopefully Sinclair in particular can work on some sort of technique rather than just wellying the ball as hard as he can.

It's not just Sinclair's crosses that are awful, so are most of his short passes; usually over-hit or misdirected. But apart from that, he's great.