One Thistle - North Stand Move

potty trained

Reasonably sure it's the City end near where the shed was previously.

Cheers Will. JJ replied on the other thread sayings it's next to where the kidszone was at the north end. I thought maybe they'd move the kids away from the away fans and into the south end of the stadium but it appears not..

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This "shed" nickname is a load of pish. Its not the shed, nor was the previous section.

Singing section is awful too. Are a school choir being recruited for this?

I think the move is good and all that by the way, just the names for certain things are cringeworthy.

This "shed" nickname is a load of pish. Its not the shed, nor was the previous section.

Singing section is awful too. Are a school choir being recruited for this?

I think the move is good and all that by the way, just the names for certain things are cringeworthy.

Kind of agree with this MWM, I don't like calling it the shed... It's like the attempts to call the JHS, the main stand, it's not and will never be.

Singing section, yes, I can understand, it's informal and it's a suitable name for a section of fans, who sing.

I think at this point tho, such trivialities are not important at this time.

What is important, is that it becomes a success.

For it to be a success, word needs to spread across the Internet, out with the official site and this forum. So Facebook and twitter.

Then come Saturday, a piece in the programme, explaining the move.

Hopefully we'll see a good turn out in there and it will encourage others to move over with time.

How else can it be deemed a success? Relationships are good with the police and stewards. Steps have been taken to ensure this from day one. So it's down to those who attend to make sure that continues.

Only then, once it's a success, would I see the area having earned its self a name.

Kind of agree with this MWM, I don't like calling it the shed... It's like the attempts to call the JHS, the main stand, it's not and will never be.

Singing section, yes, I can understand, it's informal and it's a suitable name for a section of fans, who sing.

I think at this point tho, such trivialities are not important at this time.

What is important, is that it becomes a success.

For it to be a success, word needs to spread across the Internet, out with the official site and this forum. So Facebook and twitter.

Then come Saturday, a piece in the programme, explaining the move.

Hopefully we'll see a good turn out in there and it will encourage others to move over with time.

How else can it be deemed a success? Relationships are good with the police and stewards. Steps have been taken to ensure this from day one. So it's down to those who attend to make sure that continues.

Only then, once it's a success, would I see the area having earned its self a name.

In my day, the singing section was referred to as the Firhill Choir. Although I'm pretty sure there were no angelic wee altar boys wearing white smocks and ruffs...

Right, this is me wading in head first!

I've not been around as much as I'd like to have been recently due work commitments at the olympics, but luckily enough I finished up this week so I'll see the team for the first time this season on saturday. In my absence I know for a fact that Davie, Jim, Lance and the rest of the onethistle team have been working extremely hard to make the move happen. Convincing the "authorities" was a mission in itself.

With regards to the name "the new shed". I really don't see what the problem is.

Obviously the old shed can never be replaced, and that is not what we are trying to do. But why can't we pay tribute to the old place by naming a stand after it? That's all we're doing.

A friend of mine who doesn't get to go much anymore, has just this minute donated a huge flag to the new shed, it will be on display tomorrow and features the old "stealth bomber" club crest.

To anyone else - please bring any flags or banners that you have kicking around. Let's get the place covered in red and yellow (with a bit of black in there too) and start making the place our own.

I have been blown away by some of the reports I've heard about the way the team have been playing so far - there is a real feel good factor around the club just now and I personally fully intend to try and help build on that tomorrow.

ONE TEAM IN GLASGOW

• Members

With regards to the name "the new shed". I really don't see what the problem is.

Obviously the old shed can never be replaced, and that is not what we are trying to do. But why can't we pay tribute to the old place by naming a stand after it? That's all we're doing.

ONE TEAM IN GLASGOW

Couldn't agree more. Don't always agree with you, but I think you're spot on here.

Well said. The shed was knocked down around 18 years ago, and I've got a lump of concrete in my house to remind me of it.

Liverpool still have the Kop but its a brand new Stand ,my other Club Espanyol had La Curva ( The Curve) in there old stadium - they moved and La Curva is now the stand behind the Goals -its pretty much common practice in Football to keep traditional names even if the old terrace is no longer there ,to Youngsters coming up hopefully the North Stand will be there Shed as they dont remember the Old one.

Liverpool still have the Kop but its a brand new Stand ,my other Club Espanyol had La Curva ( The Curve) in there old stadium - they moved and La Curva is now the stand behind the Goals -its pretty much common practice in Football to keep traditional names even if the old terrace is no longer there ,to Youngsters coming up hopefully the North Stand will be there Shed as they dont remember the Old one.

Fair doos.

Will the "greaves" flag be available tomorrow? I'll bring the woody jags flag but I'll have to give it to someone as my son isn't allowed in to the north stand .

I think the Greaves flag would take a big chunk of the north stand itself, hopefully it'll be on the bing.

I'll be in the woody before the game and I'd take it up for you if you want. However, if there's a scenario where you can give it to someone outside the entrance to the north stand before you make your way into the JHs then that may be better. If it's still too short notice then I'll take it up for you.

Well done to OneThistle for this. Today was excellent and I'll be sticking to the North Stand for the foreseeable future. The police were a bit over the top filming the crowd but I suppose they must have nothing to do with both sides of the Old Firm not in Glasgow for the weekend.

Poor Peachy in the Falkirk end. :lol:

I take back all the bad things I said about the north stand move. The atmosphere was sensational and from where I was it sounded like the fans were able to go at each other more, which is a good thing.

I'll wait and see how well it works with a small away support (Dumbarton in 2 weeks should answer that), but I'm sold. I might even pay a visit at some point!

I have to say well done OneThistle, i only really moved due to the children free policy, but it was actually rather good and alot of fun. The 2 ball boys at the front of the stand were having great fun too.

The only thing that annoyed me was the fact they had no veggie pies in that stand! But never mind I just hope that is not the case every week!

But well done to everyone involved and getting this sorted - great banter with Falkirk and I imagine even with a small away support there should still be a good bit of banter! :)

Edited by little_miss_jag

Had the most fun at Firhill today than I have for a wee while...the JHS looked magic, the banter with the Falkirk fans was great, the singing was constant and all in all a good time. The policewoman even gave me a smile and said cheerio as I was leaving :D.

Well done all concerned with making this move happen. My concern does not lie with a small away support...it was only about 20 Falkirk fans who were getting involved anyway.My concern is will it still be as good if we go a goal down early doors because for once the team played their part, which they hadn't done with the games that were marketed as Bring Your Colours days etc.

Was listening to Radio Scotland on the way home and a female Falkirk fans was shouting for goaline technology (she thinks it was a goal, Im not sure)...she then said Thistle had made a mistake with the seating arrangements and that the abuse (come on, it was fitba banter) had one Falkirk fan in tears :lol: . I hope it was Peachy :evil:

Edited by Steven H

she then said Thistle had made a mistake with the seating arrangements and that the abuse (come on, it was fitba banter) had one Falkirk fan in tears :lol: . I hope it was Peachy :evil:

The new location of the away fans is purely tactical, and no one is denying that. We are the home team, and should be taking as much advantage of that as possible. Sandwiching the away fans in between 2 groups of jags fans is for the benefit of Partick Thistle, and as the home team that is our right to do that.

At Camp Nou, the away fans are situated in the highest part of the ground, making it more difficult for them to vocally support their team. They also do this at St. James Park in Newcastle and other places I'll bet. Now, those fans could easily be situated lower down in the ground, but the home team puts them there for a reason. I'm glad we are now putting the HOME team first at Firhill.

I think you can call this a success. 3 guys from Mull were down for the game , went behind the goals and thankfully lost their voices for a while after the game :P

Sounded good and defo added to the atmosphere. Didnt know about the "piped" noise till after the game , just thought it was an echo but that worked quite well too.

Yesterday was the best experience I have had at Firhill in years, no doubt about it.

Myself and Davie took our flag up to the ground at around 2pm, where we had a chat with Lance, Jim, and the stewards who would be working in the stand that afternoon, both of whom were really decent guys. After securing the flag we retreated to the Star & Garter for some light refreshment.

We then wandered up to the ground at around 2:55, and could hear the singing already when we walked past the main door on Firhill Road. It was great to see so much colour in the stand, with the numerous flags/banners on show really adding to the ocassion - The Jordanhill flag, for example, looked fantastic.

Estimates of how many would make the move across varied from 50, to 100, and I myself had the most optimistic estimate at 200. The actual number was over 200, which was tremendous. Some of the guys that moved across had been sitting in the same seats of the JH since it opened in the mid-nineties, so to get them moving across was a real triumph.

Obviously, had we been 2 down after 7 minutes then the whole idea could have been dead in the water there and then - it was so important that the team won yesterday for the success of this initiative.

The first 10 minutes of the match were nothing short of sensational, and some of the football we played in the first half was outstanding. The noise coming from the North Stand at times was deafening. The JH, from where we were, looked absolutely packed, and for us to see that was motivating in itself.

It really did feel like an away day yesterday, in the best possible sense. I heard a group of young guys say after the game that they were gutted that they didn't go to the north stand for the game, so hopefully we get a few more in there for the next game.

It was disappointing to have the anti-sectarian police paying such close attention to the fans in the north stand, especially the filming, which obviously never goes down well. Myself and davie had a conversation with the 2 officers at half time, and they were actually very civil and approachable. The only issues they had were with the "hello, hello" song, and (quite unbelievably) jackie mac being referred to as a "tim". We explained to them that this was being used as a term of endearment towards our manager. They accepted this, but explained to us that the word could still be deemed as sectarian. Myself and Davie then communicated this with as many of the folk in the stand as possible, and the word "tim" was then substituted for "tic" for the remainder of the match.

All in all, I feel that the day couldn't really have worked out any better, and everyone we spoke to after the match was absolutely buzzing.

The comments about the noise being "piped" through the PA have been noted. If anyone has any other comments or suggestions, please feel free to get involved, either publicly on here or via PM.

A massive thank you to Jim & Lance who moved heaven and earth to make this happen, the team for making sure we had something to sing about, but most importantly the supporters who made the leap of faith and got behind this, and ultimately moved across. I hope that everyone is glad that they did!