Just In From Forfar

Excellent game today apart from the ref. who was incompetent. I was at the other end so I don't know if Murray deserved to get sent off, but his decision making was so poor otherwise it wouldn't surprise me if it was pretty harsh. Anyway, Forfar had about 2 minutes of the first half at the start then about 5 mins. At the start of the second half, one cracking save from Fox and one off the bar - and that was about it. We really got in about them - Erskine's goal was a thing of individual wonder, Lawless benefited hugely from the Forfar players having a nap. Welsh hit the post twice, but Doolan could have had a first half hat-trick - it will come for him. No failures today, and as that's my first look at the team, the existing players looks as if they've stepped up a gear and the summer signings look like poor Kwality man! Right round ye Dick Campbell!

Great turnout from the Jags support in the sunshine, not vocal but there was a lot of wandering about due to the lack of segregation. And they still had enough

Saddlers bridies!

Edited by The Earl of Hathaway

Pretty comfortable despite playing a good 50 odd minutes with 10 men. Still looked the more likely to score with a man less. Erskine played really well and scored a lovely goal, though I thought he tired a bit which is understandable he ran himself into the ground. Thought Doolan was poor, should have scored a couple at least in first half. Wee Lawless huffed and puffed but apart from the goal he rarely threatened.

Murray incident was right in front of me, I would have been screaming for a penalty and a sending off if it was other way round so I'm not going to moan too much, thought Shug wasn't that great before this anyway. Bannigan played well, Welsh was ok.

O'Donnell needs to improve on his first touch, so many times already this year in the friendlies and first 2 matches, he gets released on the break, and could be through on his own if it wasn't for a poor first touch which always takes him wide and he has to square it. Like his first goal for us against Morton in the Friday night 5-0, when his first touch takes him in on goal, I want to see more of that.

Undoubted man of the match for me was Aaron Muirhead, solid as a rock, most vocal Thistle player I've heard for years, always talking to his team mates and organising, he looks better every game. I'll be honest and say Celtic friendly I didn't think he was that great, but he's improved in every game since, and today he was head and shoulders above.

I HATE ASTROTURF PITCHES!! So many times the ball doesn't run true, unpredictable bounce, and gets caught under players feet. Can't wait to play at a proper football stadium with a real pitch next week.

Interested to hear some Forfar fans in pub after the match being very complimentary of Thistle, they reckon we would hammer Dunfermline based on both games they've had with us and the pars. Very complimentary about our passing and moving always nice to hear other fans say good things about our team, good on you Jackie keep it up and blow Falkirk away on Saturday, already cannot wait!

We are short of a striker, I like Doolan as much as any Jags fan, but we need someone else to give him a real threat, I don't think Elliot is that man, nor McGuigan. But I'd be delighted if one of them proved me wrong.

Edited by chunky jag

Really enjoyed the game altho the ref did try and spoil it. Forfar had a few chances one smacked the bar and fox had one very good save. The penalty was missed by miles and as was said above id have been screaming for one if it was the other way round. We made lots of chances scored 2 very well taken goals, smacked the woodwork 3 times and their keeper madea couple of good saves. We played some lovely football at times and even with 10 men we looked the most likely to score

Wasn't at the match today, but it all sounds very encouraging. Keeping a clean sheet with 10 men is challenging at the best of times, so being able to do that while hitting the post twice must be a confidence boost going into the league next week. A comfortable win, very good.

I think plastic pitches are getting better, and if they help keep these little clubs going then so be it. Won't go about denying grass isn't a million times better, but compared to the first plastic pitches which were absolute shockers it's a big step forward. Will be good to play on grass at Firhill, but the experience will be useful for when we go to Aidrie this season.

Will also be good to have a pretty much full squad next week too. Paton and Balatoni will be available, and Rowson seems to be recovering from his injury. Really psyched for Falkirk, bring it on!

Definite penalty and I wasn't shocked to see Murray get sent off but I thought the decision was harsh. A couple of Forfar fans beside me thought likewise. The ref was a joke but I wouldn't hold that as his most incompetent decision, For sheer comedy effect awarding a free kick against Lawless when the big defender, at least one and a half times his size, almost vaulted over wee Steve was the ref's highpoint.

One thing for certain I've had my fill of watching football on synthetic pitches. I made the point last year that it may be fine to play on (I'm far from convinced) but no matter how they've improved they fall far short of ideal for the spectator.

I wouldn't be so daft to say I prefer watching football played on pitches like the state Firhill has been in too often of late but that apart give me grass every time.

Anyway it was a professional display today and a most useful learning exercise. Pleasantly surprised how big Muirhead appears to made the step up so well and so quickly..

Getting Rowson back will be good for the squad, but with the form of Bannigan he will struggle to get in the team. I prefer Rowser to Paton, but I don't think McNamara does, so Rowser might just be a back up this season.

After this week's departures, we now have a senior squad of only 18 players. The flexibility of Rowson, Paton and Bannigan will be very valuable. With suspension and injuries, all the senior players should get plenty of game time. A few of the modern apprentices should get the chance to impress too.

After this week's departures, we now have a senior squad of only 18 players. The flexibility of Rowson, Paton and Bannigan will be very valuable. With suspension and injuries, all the senior players should get plenty of game time. A few of the modern apprentices should get the chance to impress too.

Think it may be down to 17 shortly. Jamie Campbell’s absence from the bench suggests he is not in Jackie’s plans.

Think it may be down to 17 shortly. Jamie Campbell’s absence from the bench suggests he is not in Jackie’s plans.

I would expect Campbell to stay unless Jackie's got someone else lined up in his place. He's got more experience than Shaun Fraser had and I head he was OK for Stenhousemuir last year.

Enjoyed the game yesterday, maybe even the second half more than the first half to be honest.

I was impressed with the movement of the team, the passing and the counter attacking. Most of all I was impressed with how we played with a man down. I think we would have crumbled last year had we been in the same scenario.

Three shots of the inside of the post too, on an other day the scoreline could have been higher. Despite it being against Third and Second division opposition so far, big Muirhead looks great, although the big test of him has yet to come.

Also, I'd like to say a thanks to the folks at the Roods bar for the hospitality and the free bridie which was amazing.

With Murray already being booked last week and sent off yesterday, I wonder how long it will be before he starts to run up suspensions in the league? I just hope that he is just not too keen on Astroturf.

With Murray already being booked last week and sent off yesterday, I wonder how long it will be before he starts to run up suspensions in the league? I just hope that he is just not too keen on Astroturf.

We all know Murray doesn't take many prisoners but I don't believe he's got form for getting booked/sent off cheaply. The sending off yesterday was probably harsh but if I'm not contradicting myself he had to attempt a tackle. If he starts picking up bookings for daft thinks like talking back, kicking the ball away etc then it'll be a cause for concern as he's bound to collect the yellows for the physical stuff.