New Packages Launched For The Kids

potty trained

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be obvious to point out that supermarkets are about a billion times bigger than Thistle wouldn't it?

As for being part of a core strategy, fair enough, but i remember when i used to frequent a previous haunt i was banging on about metrics. I'd be interested -sort of- to understand what the pay back is? Not some sort of wooly "in ten years time blah blah blah" but the actual we have spent £x and we have got back y benefit or at the very least we anticipate recouping this money in z years.

Has anyone actually got any evidence to suggest that paying into a football match is a barrier to entry? At what price does it become so £1? £2? £3? Or is it just that kids watch a different team now? Barcelona rather than Thistle, Rangers or Celtic?

Not having a go at the efoort being put into this, just trying to understand WHY the effort is being put into this and not something else? and please JJ, don't go all Demographic on me.

Edited to add: If money is a barrier to going to a football game, a hypothetical scenario. If Partick Thistle gave away 10,000 free tickets to every home game, does anyone believe we would have a full house every week? If not, doesn't that suggest that when something is "Free" it then very difficult to convert people to paying for it? Or at least it's very very difficult to convince them?

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

My only , hopefully positve, criticism would be the age separation.

I think, groupings of "up to 12", 12 to 14, and a third of 15 - possibly 17 with more distinction in differing incentives for members.

For example, up - 12 chance to be a mascot. Ballboys and girls chosen from the 12-14s. And as they enter the transitional period before qualifying for the north stand, registered 15-17s may attend matches without an adult and oughta pay a nominal fee of possibly £1 as a way of introducing them to idea of shelling out to go to the game.... I suspect also, that having smaller age groups lends itself less to the danger of the older kids within a group dismissing the concept as "kids stuff" and beneath them.

When I was introduced to the thrill of Firhill, a big part of the attraction was a sense of growing up, a coming of age when finally I was allowed into the shed to show my passion for the team next to the big lads. Many of those older boys came from schools no longer there(?)... N.K., Possil High school, St Columba's and Woodside. I hope this initiative will be pushed in the local schools, Hillhead, Cleveden, John Paul Academy... is St. Tam's still as nuts as it used to be?

Well done to those behind the scheme. I hope you have the energy and are granted the resources to promote, improve and spread the idea far and wide.

:fan: O.T.I.G!

It would be obvious to point out that supermarkets are about a billion times bigger than Thistle wouldn't it?

As for being part of a core strategy, fair enough, but i remember when i used to frequent a previous haunt i was banging on about metrics. I'd be interested -sort of- to understand what the pay back is? Not some sort of wooly "in ten years time blah blah blah" but the actual we have spent £x and we have got back y benefit or at the very least we anticipate recouping this money in z years.

Has anyone actually got any evidence to suggest that paying into a football match is a barrier to entry? At what price does it become so £1? £2? £3? Or is it just that kids watch a different team now? Barcelona rather than Thistle, Rangers or Celtic?

Not having a go at the efoort being put into this, just trying to understand WHY the effort is being put into this and not something else? and please JJ, don't go all Demographic on me.

Edited to add: If money is a barrier to going to a football game, a hypothetical scenario. If Partick Thistle gave away 10,000 free tickets to every home game, does anyone believe we would have a full house every week? If not, doesn't that suggest that when something is "Free" it then very difficult to convert people to paying for it? Or at least it's very very difficult to convince them?

Evidence from our initial attempt a few years ago to Market Kids Go Free was that based on an average of 350 Kids- the increase in Adult attendance covered the cost of the kids going free.

Our largest Home Crowd about three Seasons, against Dundee which attracted 1300 more than the average home crowd also had over 600 Kids ,so whilst not completley scientific- the stats would suggest that when we have more kids we have more paying adults.

Is money a barrier ,no idea -Kids Go Free was put in place during the Real Scottish Football Campiagn ,its already there- so we may as well market it.

I agree more kids are interested in Barca than Scottish Football but if we make it an attractive day out Thistle Supporting Youngsters may be able to convince there mates to come along ,the "free" incentive and the fact your parents are more likely to let you go to Firhill on your own, makes it an attractive proposition compared to the Old Firm.

We are making a foccussed effort on 12 -16 Year olds so I suppose the answer in payback is about 5 years max ,if we can cover costs with increased adults and improve the Matchday Atmosphere in the meantime- then that is also a bonus.

as for moving them from Free to paying - this time round everyone has a Season Ticket ,we have information capture - when they hit sixteen we can Market a discounted Season Ticket for the next Season.

Edited by Jordanhill Jag

The name came from the fact that when we had a Colours with Pride Day a Group of teenage Thistle Fans made up a banner saying Thistle Ultras so we decided to run with it.As for getting bullied at School sorry complete nonsense - if we grow the young support into a critical mass then they are no longer isolated - being part of the Green Brigade is not cringeworthy - reality is it started with a handful of Celtic Fans ,its now turned the whole Matchday Experierce at Celtic Park on its own.

As for cost of joining the Young Supporters Groups it adds another barrier to building a better relationship with our Young Fans - Large Supermarkets have loss leaders - this is ours with support that is getting older we need to start looking to replace them or we have no Club and no future revenue streams - we need a large number of young people at Firhill ,this is a core part of future strategy - get used to it.

There are much more positive names that could have been used. For us being such a family club "ultras" does not give such a warm family image. It's a cringeworthy name and better thought could have been given.

Now we are not Celtic or Sevco and we never will be. Yes we are the oldest team in Glasgow or what ever, but we have the 3rd smallest support of the 4 teams in Glasgow. Yes Celtic have the green brigade and yes they do make the atmosphere brilliant at games. But they also sing songs which get Celtic into a lot of bother Something none of us want at Firhill. I also do not think you can say that our new "Thistle ultras" will ever compare to the "Green Brigade". Not a chance and comparing the 2 is pointless. Will our Thistle ultras have a different display for every home game?

You refer to cost as barrier between you and the fans. I could agree we had people who believe £10 was too much for 4 games of football for a pre season friendly. I guess some fans have just got used to their kids getting everything for free from the club.

I think it a good idea don't get me wrong but I am curious where the money to make the t-shirts is coming from? I thought we were skint and had no money and that is why we all had to rush out and buy a season ticket to help Jackie?

Kids go free and the kids clubs are not a lost maker, because you can pass those losses back to the fans with no kids afterall.

But see when April comes and Jackie need money for the squad and we are skint again, don't expect me to be rushing out to buy my season ticket.

as for moving them from Free to paying - this time round everyone has a Season Ticket ,we have information capture - when they hit sixteen we can Market a discounted Season Ticket for the next Season.

How will that letter/email go - Last year you paid £0 to watch football and see this year it's £100. I am sure all those parents who enjoyed years of kids go free will rush out to buy that season ticket for their kid.

Of course nobody on here with kids will disagree - why would they?

I do think it is a good idea. just don't agree with everything for kids being free every time.

little_miss_jag you remind me of the "Chewin The Fat" sketch with the woman taxi despatcher. Every silver lining has a cloud.

Oh I am sorry forgive me I thought this was a forum for people to have opinions on all things Thistle. i did not realise we cannot say anything negative or disagree with anything.

Evidence from our initial attempt a few years ago to Market Kids Go Free was that based on an average of 350 Kids- the increase in Adult attendance covered the cost of the kids going free.

Our largest Home Crowd about three Seasons, against Dundee which attracted 1300 more than the average home crowd also had over 600 Kids ,so whilst not completley scientific- the stats would suggest that when we have more kids we have more paying adults.

Is money a barrier ,no idea -Kids Go Free was put in place during the Real Scottish Football Campiagn ,its already there- so we may as well market it.

I agree more kids are interested in Barca than Scottish Football but if we make it an attractive day out Thistle Supporting Youngsters may be able to convince there mates to come along ,the "free" incentive and the fact your parents are more likely to let you go to Firhill on your own, makes it an attractive proposition compared to the Old Firm.

We are making a foccussed effort on 12 -16 Year olds so I suppose the answer in payback is about 5 years max ,if we can cover costs with increased adults and improve the Matchday Atmosphere in the meantime- then that is also a bonus.

The increase in adult attendance has covered the cost of kids go free? What increase in adult attendance in those few years? Even the official site admitted season ticket sales had been on the decline over the past few seasons until this season bucked the trend (which is hardly a surprise since many of us backed the club for voting no to Sevco against the wishes of yourself). Average attendance figures would back this up too.

The increase in adult attendance has covered the cost of kids go free? What increase in adult attendance in those few years? Even the official site admitted season ticket sales had been on the decline over the past few seasons until this season bucked the trend (which is hardly a surprise since many of us backed the club for voting no to Sevco against the wishes of yourself). Average attendance figures would back this up too.

My opening statement says evidence from when we first launched kids go free a few years ago ,current position is crowds are down and kids numbers are also down.

Yes I would have voted yes to Sevco as a trade off for play offs ,Elvis who everyone is saying is a breath of fresh air staed something similiar ,that was my opinion - people diagreed, thats life.

This is a great idea and anything which can help to secure the future lifeblood of the game should be applauded. My only addition to the topic is that in my experience the 'kids go free'scheme is still not marketed effectively enough outwith Thistle circles. i still can't believe the amount of Glasgow based punters who don't know about it.

But hats off to all concerned.

There are much more positive names that could have been used. For us being such a family club "ultras" does not give such a warm family image. It's a cringeworthy name and better thought could have been given.

Thats your opinion but then again you are not in the 12 -16 age bracket so why dont we let our young fans decide ?

Now we are not Celtic or Sevco and we never will be. Yes we are the oldest team in Glasgow or what ever, but we have the 3rd smallest support of the 4 teams in Glasgow. Yes Celtic have the green brigade and yes they do make the atmosphere brilliant at games. But they also sing songs which get Celtic into a lot of bother Something none of us want at Firhill. I also do not think you can say that our new "Thistle ultras" will ever compare to the "Green Brigade". Not a chance and comparing the 2 is pointless. Will our Thistle ultras have a different display for every home game?

The point is the Green Brigade was started by a handful of fans and recieved similiar stick of being cringeworthy and manufactured so its a reasonable comparision.

I think it a good idea don't get me wrong but I am curious where the money to make the t-shirts is coming from? I thought we were skint and had no money and that is why we all had to rush out and buy a season ticket to help Jackie?

Jackie has a budget ,nothing we are doing impacts on it.

Kids go free and the kids clubs are not a lost maker, because you can pass those losses back to the fans with no kids afterall.

No they are offset by increased adult attendances.

But see when April comes and Jackie need money for the squad and we are skint again, don't expect me to be rushing out to buy my season ticket.

How will that letter/email go - Last year you paid £0 to watch football and see this year it's £100. I am sure all those parents who enjoyed years of kids go free will rush out to buy that season ticket for their kid.

When you are sixteen you have to pay in -we now have a method of contacting those who turn sixteen.

Of course nobody on here with kids will disagree - why would they?

I do think it is a good idea. just don't agree with everything for kids being free every time.

Oh I am sorry forgive me I thought this was a forum for people to have opinions on all things Thistle. i did not realise we cannot say anything negative or disagree with anything.

FFS, this is unbelievable.. People are trying their best to be creative and come up with some innovative schemes to increase our support but, rather than get behind these plans others appear to be queing up to criticise everything from the name, to the cost, to the long term benefits. Before anyone accuses me, i'm not some happy clappy type. It is really wearing to see every thread that starts off positive, degenerate into petty squabling and nit picking. It was the same with the 'Sell Out Saturday' thread; a couple of posts in and folk were moaning about the name. This seaon looks like being one where we can, at last, offer some sort of challenge, surely we can at least try and be a bit positive?

Or maybe not

Mine is a simple point. Rather than kids for free, if we had a 5 year plan. Get 100 kids(or even 50 kids) a 3 quid year one for 18 games. Gives you around 5kish to use year 2 to target say 200 at 3 quid gives you 10k to target say 300 year 3 giving15k for year 4. 500 in years five gives 27k . The kids needn't be the same ones as long as your filling the seats and hitting the numbers.

Measurable.

My opening statement says evidence from when we first launched kids go free a few years ago ,current position is crowds are down and kids numbers are also down.

Yes I would have voted yes to Sevco as a trade off for play offs ,Elvis who everyone is saying is a breath of fresh air staed something similiar ,that was my opinion - people diagreed, thats life.

What evidence? There's been no rise in attendances since kids went free which would be evidence. Market research or opinion before it was launched maybe but it's not evidence.

If anything the kids go free seems to be a bit of a failure.

Jim, I give up.

I admit defeat you clearly believe your idea is the best idea ever and cannot even read what I have written. Clearly like most kids ideas at the start of the season it will be forgotten by Christmas.

Btw I do not think the idea of the "ultras" is a bad - it is the name that I have problems with!

What evidence? There's been no rise in attendances since kids went free which would be evidence. Market research or opinion before it was launched maybe but it's not evidence.

Rather than saying kids go free is a failure, is it not perhaps the case that crowds would have been even smaller had kids not been getting in for nothing? I've no evidence to support this but it does seem logical that some people would not be here if they had to pay.

Edited by sm62

In the first Season it was launched it was heavily Marketed .Kids numbers trebled and crowds increased also - there was a direct link to the increased crowd levels to increased kids numbers on specific games - as described in the stats for the Glasgows Big Game Campaign

There has been little or no Marketing of the Club for the past few Seasons - numbers will go down if you dont promote your product ,Season Tickets have been Marketed this year for the first time in years ,we have seen an increase in sales.

see on our website where we say "Partick Thistle Football Club are the only professional football club in the whole of the United Kingdom that gives FREE entry to under 16s for all league fixtures"? That's not true is it?

on stenhousemuir's website it says "Free season tickets are available for Under 16s by downloading the attached application form and sending into the club. This offer can be taken up at any point of the season"

Mine is a simple point. Rather than kids for free, if we had a 5 year plan. Get 100 kids(or even 50 kids) a 3 quid year one for 18 games. Gives you around 5kish to use year 2 to target say 200 at 3 quid gives you 10k to target say 300 year 3 giving15k for year 4. 500 in years five gives 27k . The kids needn't be the same ones as long as your filling the seats and hitting the numbers.

Measurable.

RM - Fair cant argue against your logic,as things stand we have had a few weeks to pull together kids packages- so we have simply adapted existing and attempted to improve ,we have introduced data capture which allows us to monitor and even change going forward.

see on our website where we say "Partick Thistle Football Club are the only professional football club in the whole of the United Kingdom that gives FREE entry to under 16s for all league fixtures"? That's not true is it?

on stenhousemuir's website it says "Free season tickets are available for Under 16s by downloading the attached application form and sending into the club. This offer can be taken up at any point of the season"

Brilliant :thumbsup2:

We allow home and away U16s free entry whilst I suspect Stenhousemuir's season tickets only apply to home fans.

In the first Season it was launched it was heavily Marketed .Kids numbers trebled and crowds increased also - there was a direct link to the increased crowd levels to increased kids numbers on specific games - as described in the stats for the Glasgows Big Game Campaign

There has been little or no Marketing of the Club for the past few Seasons - numbers will go down if you dont promote your product ,Season Tickets have been Marketed this year for the first time in years ,we have seen an increase in sales.

Wasn't the season it was launched also the season the team finished 2nd? Let's not pretend it's down to kids go free. Attendances have fell massively since and there's hardly thousands of parents lining up at the portakabin with their kids paying £17. This is the 5th season kids go free, shouldn't we be seeing the kids who went free paying in by now yet all we still hear is how the support is ageing and aren't being replaced by younger fans?

not according to stennie. home and away U16 fans get in for free.

Having looked at Stenny's website I think it is fairly clear the scheme is aimed at home fans. Could an under 16 supporter of another club in that division apply for a season ticket and get in for free - yes. Is that likely or how Stenny market it - no.

If our website said that we are the only club who allow under 16s of both sets of fans free entry with or without a season ticket that would be clearer.