Group A: Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Paris St Germain, Dinamo Zagreb

Group B: Arsenal, Schalke, Olympiakos, Montpellier

Group C: AC Milan, Zenit St Petersburg, Anderlecht, Malaga

Group D: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund

Group E: Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, FC Nordsjaelland

Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille, BATE Borisov

Group G: Barcelona, Benfica, Spartak Moscow, Celtic

Group H: Manchester United, Braga, Galatasaray, CFR Cluj

Group A is difficult to predict. 3 teams have chances. D Zagreb will finish with 0 point.

Group B is very fierce battle. Arsenal is the favourite, but they might fail.

Group C is not very difficult to predict. Milan and Zenit will proceed to the last 16. Malaga might have some chance, but very difficult.

Group D is very easy to predict. Real Madrid and Man City will win. Ajax and Dortmund have no chance.

Group E is difficult to predict. 3 teams have chances. Nordsjælland will finish with 0 point.

Group F is not difficult to predict. Bayern München and Valencia will win. Lille do not have enough quality to beat these 2. BATE may get 1 or 2 points.

Group G is difficult to predict. Barcelona will win the group without a defeat. Other 3 teams have chances.

Group H is ManUtd's group. ManUtd will finish without defeat. Braga and Galatasaray cannot be easily decided. Cluj might finish with 0 point.

Let me guess, you have at least one home and one away top of every team already, but you are going to buy new ones with Champions League logos on them.

You're such a harry enfield and taureau chiottes.

No, I am not such a heavy collector...my friend (about 50 years old) has at least 4000 jerseys.

And, while being no fan of the Old Firm, I hope Celtic's progress to the last 16. Since Motherwell failed to qualify and other Scottish teams also failed in Europa League, Celtic's success is the only hope for the higher European ranking of Scotland.

I think that Nordsjælland would not get a point, but I support them because my favourite Goalkeeper Kawaguti (Kawaguchi), former Japan's international, played for that club after leaving Portsmouth.

I deeply regret that Dinamo Zagreb have qualified instead of Partizan or Red Star.

Edited by sigesige00

Group A: Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Paris St Germain, Dinamo Zagreb

Group B: Arsenal, Schalke, Olympiakos, Montpellier

Group C: AC Milan, Zenit St Petersburg, Anderlecht, Malaga

Group D: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund

Group E: Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, FC Nordsjaelland

Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille, BATE Borisov

Group G: Barcelona, Benfica, Spartak Moscow, Celtic

Group H: Manchester United, Braga, Galatasaray, CFR Cluj

Schalke should advance their group, maybe even win it. Arsenal sure is the stronges opponent.

Dortmund: I guess they will go out as 4th of their group. Maybe they can get a few points against City at home and against Ajax, but other than that, I don't see how they could advance.

Bayern: Everything else than a group win would be a disappointment. Valencia is the strongest opponent, but come on... USUALLY they are no match for Bayern. But USUALLY they shouldn't lose against teams like Borisov, but I have the strange feeling that they will do just that...

Celtic: They will finish last of their group. They SHOULD win against Moscow, but I'm afraid, they won't.

Group A is difficult to predict. 3 teams have chances. D Zagreb will finish with 0 point.

Group B is very fierce battle. Arsenal is the favourite, but they might fail.

Group C is not very difficult to predict. Milan and Zenit will proceed to the last 16. Malaga might have some chance, but very difficult.

Group D is very easy to predict. Real Madrid and Man City will win. Ajax and Dortmund have no chance.

Group E is difficult to predict. 3 teams have chances. Nordsjælland will finish with 0 point.

Group F is not difficult to predict. Bayern München and Valencia will win. Lille do not have enough quality to beat these 2. BATE may get 1 or 2 points.

Group G is difficult to predict. Barcelona will win the group without a defeat. Other 3 teams have chances.

Group H is ManUtd's group. ManUtd will finish without defeat. Braga and Galatasaray cannot be easily decided. Cluj might finish with 0 point.

Not so sure with all those assessments. Shalke would be my favourites from group B. Dortmund definitely have a chance of upsetting group D. Also, I think there won't be as many teams finishing with no points as you think, possibly none.

By the way, I am strongly against the spellling "Shakhtar" (Шахтар).

The Latin spelling must be "Šahtar".

I am against the English way of spelling foreign words. For example, Russian name "Бухарин" is spelled "Bukharin" in English. However, there is no need for "k", since there is no phonemic distinction between "h" and "kh" in Russian. "Бухарин" should be "Buharin".

...I am against the English way of spelling foreign words. For example, Russian name "Бухарин" is spelled "Bukharin" in English. However, there is no need for "k", since there is no phonemic distinction between "h" and "kh" in Russian. "Бухарин" should be "Buharin".

After all the effort you went to writing Munich in German in your second post in this thread, why did you not write Valencia in Spanish or Zenit in Russian?

Why didn't you call them Bavaria München, sigesige, to balance out the English way of spelling words?

I am against the English way of spelling foreign words. For example, Russian name "Бухарин" is spelled "Bukharin" in English. However, there is no need for "k", since there is no phonemic distinction between "h" and "kh" in Russian. "Бухарин" should be "Buharin".

Could you tell me how to say "big hairy wallaper" in Russian as it has often perplexed me.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup2:

The thing is, not too many people know how to pronounce "Šahtar". The transcription "Shakhtar" tells you exactly how to pronounce it, and that's all that counts. Not too many people know how to pronounce "München" or "Köln", that's why it's written "Munich" and "Cologne" in english. Surprisingly enough, "Mönchengladbach" doesn't have an "english spelling", even though I think that it's much more difficult to pronounce than "München". ^^

Man City got a very tough draw - the group of death to use an old cliche. Dortmund are the German champions and will be very tough to beat. Their stadium seats over 65,000 (biggest in the country) so the atmosphere should be pretty hostile. Celtic could have a chance of qualifying behind Barcelona.

Man City got a very tough draw - the group of death to use an old cliche. Dortmund are the German champions and will be very tough to beat. Their stadium seats over 65,000 (biggest in the country) so the atmosphere should be pretty hostile. Celtic could have a chance of qualifying behind Barcelona.

I am no fan of the Old Firm (I hate Rangers more, because I am a fierce opponent of Ulster Unionism), but I hope Celtic's success in Europe. The decline of Scotland's ranking in Europe must be stopped, because that means that there will be less chance for us to play in Europe.

Dortmund are the German champions and will be very tough to beat. Their stadium seats over 65,000 (biggest in the country) so the atmosphere should be pretty hostile.

Actually, the Allianz Arena (Stadium of Bayern München) is bigger when it comes to international games (about 68.000 seats, 66.000 last season). In Bundesliga matches, the Signal Iduna Park (stadium of Borussia Dortmund) has a capacity of about 80.000. The hughe difference between national and international games is because the stadium has stances for their home fans, but they have to convert them to seats for international games.

Edited by Waka

The thing is, not too many people know how to pronounce "Šahtar". The transcription "Shakhtar" tells you exactly how to pronounce it, and that's all that counts. Not too many people know how to pronounce "München" or "Köln", that's why it's written "Munich" and "Cologne" in english. Surprisingly enough, "Mönchengladbach" doesn't have an "english spelling", even though I think that it's much more difficult to pronounce than "München". ^^

Hi, I am interested in your location Hamburg. Are you attending the games of HSV or St. Pauli? There are some connections between the supporters of Celtic and St. Pauli.

Japan's former international Takahara played for HSV.

Hi, I am interested in your location Hamburg. Are you attending the games of HSV or St. Pauli? There are some connections between the supporters of Celtic and St. Pauli.

Japan's former international Takahara played for HSV.

Well, my mother is a HSV supporter, my wife (and the rest of my in-law-family) supports St. Pauli. I support the only club that matters in Germany: Bayern München. :P

but you're happy to line their pockets by going to see the wee teams a dozen times this season - you are a total walloper sig

I changed my mind. I have to concentrate on my study. So I do not attend many games at Ibrox. I will attend Ibrox if we visit Ibrox in cup games. And I will attend Queen's Park and Annan Athletic games, because I have their jerseys. But I do not attend other games at Ibrox.

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, why do the English-language media use the spelling "Dynamo Kiev"?

Since the official name is "ФК «Динамо» Київ", it must be "Dinamo Kyiv".

"Dynamo" sounds very German -- Dynamo Dresden, Berliner FC Dynamo, etc.

Not just English. The Germans use Dynamo Kiew (and you'll no doubt know that the "w" is pronounced the same as the English "v"), but they do use Dinamo Zagreb. Why it is so, I do not know. By the way I found these on the Kicker website (kicker.de); I used to buy Kicker when I studied German at school.